Bolden out for the year

Well, to be fair, it's not like a new coach will be brought in the second he's fired. So you can be excited for the guys without the aftermath feeling, IMO. Whether he's fired today, tomorrow, or next month, we're still all waiting until December/January for a new coach anyway.
Its not about having a new coach now, its about having a new coach at all. Every win they get is a potential step closer to him weaseling his way into another season. If the ax drops now I can cheer for victory every week knowing we are getting a new coach regardless of the outcomes.

Advertisement
Here's my take:

1. It may have been a painful injury to play through, but it was not a torn labrum. I had a torn labrum on my (non-throwing) shoulder at the end of my sophomore year in college. I could barely raise my arm. It took from January to May rehabbing before I could throw at full strength, and this was on my left shoulder. If Bolden really had a torn labrum, he'd be playing with his arm taped to his body. Maybe they jacked him top with cortisol, but I'm not buying it.

2. No doctor, particularly one that s part of the UofM Sports Medicine, is going to clear a safety to play with a labrum that needs surgery. He may have had a hurt shoulder, (definitely did) but one that was not severe enough to keep him out if he could play though the pain. The question is always going to be, "if he plays, can he hurt it worse in the normal course of the game?" if the answer is yes, the chance of him being cleared is slim.

3. Only the doctor can clear a player, but only a coach can decide if an available player will play or will sit. If Bolden was cleared, then Manny had 100% say in whether he played or not. But a coach cannot override a doctor in saying he can play, if the doc says no, or if the player says he can't go. Doc and player have the final say on "availability," coach has the last word on snaps.

4. If the reason Bolden played so poorly was injury, then that's on Manny for not sitting him. If it's clear the kid is a liability, and it was, because his play reflected it, then it was manny's job to get someone else in there. You don't blame the kid for wanting to play, you blame the kid for not recognizing he's hurting the team (and maybe himself), and for Manny, as the adult in the room, for not stepping in.

Strength and conditioning coaches are now RESPONSIBLE for non-contact injuries?!!??!! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Based off current sports research? Yes, that is a factor. You still get freak non-contact injuries but a lot of non-contact injuries are a result of poor training and fatigue management from training, and less so as a result from fatigue in-game.

There's a lot of research ongoing into this.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Here, bye nigka.
1635196908698.gif

Advertisement
Here's my take:

1. It may have been a painful injury to play through, but it was not a torn labrum. I had a torn labrum on my (non-throwing) shoulder at the end of my sophomore year in college. I could barely raise my arm. It took from January to May rehabbing before I could throw at full strength, and this was on my left shoulder. If Bolden really had a torn labrum, he'd be playing with his arm taped to his body. Maybe they jacked him top with cortisol, but I'm not buying it.

2. No doctor, particularly one that s part of the UofM Sports Medicine, is going to clear a safety to play with a labrum that needs surgery. He may have had a hurt shoulder, (definitely did) but one that was not severe enough to keep him out if he could play though the pain. The question is always going to be, "if he plays, can he hurt it worse in the normal course of the game?" if the answer is yes, the chance of him being cleared is slim.

3. Only the doctor can clear a player, but only a coach can decide if an available player will play or will sit. If Bolden was cleared, then Manny had 100% say in whether he played or not. But a coach cannot override a doctor in saying he can play, if the doc says no, or if the player says he can't go. Doc and player have the final say on "availability," coach has the last word on snaps.

4. If the reason Bolden played so poorly was injury, then that's on Manny for not sitting him. If it's clear the kid is a liability, and it was, because his play reflected it, then it was manny's job to get someone else in there. You don't blame the kid for wanting to play, you blame the kid for not recognizing he's hurting the team (and maybe himself), and for Manny, as the adult in the room, for not stepping in.
Different types of labrum tears out there. I played baseball with a labrum tear for years till pain just got too bad to throw through.
Most guys that can’t move arm with a torn labrum have a slap tear.
Likely he has a bankart tear or just an anterior or posterior tear.

Different types of labrum tears out there. I played baseball with a labrum tear for years till pain just got too bad to throw through.
Most guys that can’t move arm with a torn labrum have a slap tear.
Likely he has a bankart tear or just an anterior or posterior tear.

appreciate that. although I had an anterior tear, and it was really miserable.

Advertisement
Just Said in another thread, they’ve been laying the BS excuse narrative of “youth movement and we should be 4-2 instead of 2-4” to bring him back if we continue to win. If we beat Pitt it’s going to progress to “we beat 2 top 25 teams back to back with mostly our young players rallying behind Manny to save his job after our bad start”. 7-5 with wins against 2 top 25 teams saves him and Flake.
I can see us w/ a 7-6 season. I think Pitt runs us out the building, and the excuse will be young, that’s what Pitt does (see what they did to Clemson), on the road, etc. etc.

However, the latter part of our schedule is super cake walk, and I can see us on a winning streak to end the season, but losing in the bowl game, and b/c we ended well, dealing w/ adversity of injuries, youth movement, promising foundation, blah blah, they’ll turn a blind eye.

Advertisement
My guess is for depth. Dunson got roasted multiple times against NC State, did not look like a technique issue, just a speed issue. Perhaps he just does not have the speed to cut it at corner right now and want him as a swing guy.

For Safety we had balom (out for the year); JW plays in the box, basically took Gurvan's spot; Kam; AW and Harrell who I have not seen yet. What happened to K. Washington?
thats what Im wondering. what happened to Washington? that kid can play

Advertisement
Back