Bartow: Harley shuts down recruitment, sticks with WVU

Chris Conley finished his career with comparable numbers to Coley and was drafted in the 3rd round in 2015. Malcolm Mitchell finished his career with numbers very similar to Coley as well. He was drafted in the 4th round. Both by quality organizations. Mohamed Massaquoi is another guy with those type of numbers.. If you don't think Coley is a good WR then OK. If you do, then Richt has recruited multiple quality WRs in the last 5-6 years not named AJ Green.

Conley was nowhere near the player at UGA that Coley was at UM. He got drafted off a blazing 40 at the combine.

You listed like 4 guys in 15 years at UGA. And 1 of them (Conley) underachieved. That's not very good.

Conley's 20 total receiving TDs equal Coley's number. Almost 2000 yards in his career at over 16.5 per catch in a system that was an I-formation fullback based offense. As far as underachieving he was a 3-star prospect who wasn't as highly thought of as Coley.

Tavares King in the NFL. Marlon Brown in the NFL. Reggie Brown was in the NFL. So that is at least 7 WRs to the NFL in 15 years. 6 still hanging around in form or another.

Conley wasn't Coley. Did you watch the games or just quoting stats? He underachieved based on his measurables. I don't care if he was a 2 star. He's a big dude who ran a 4.3 at the combine, yet he caught 38 passes as a senior.

Now you're hitting me with Tavares King and Marlon and Reggie Brown? You made more plays than they did.

You're in thread talking about Richt's QB recruiting but won't acknowledge that Hutson Mason might have an affect on a WR's number. Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel were all on the team that year in 2014. That backfield might determine how many targets a WR might get as well.

Reggie Brown was a 2000 yard WR in the early 2000s. Tavares King caught 20 TDs in his career in that offense in the SEC. Thats two WRs who caught 20 TDs in their career and a 2000 yard WR back when the SEC was an I-formation league if your head coach wasn't Steve Spurrier. He wasn't recruiting great NFL talents but he had multiple players have good careers and turn them into plenty of NFL paychecks.

Whose fault was it that Hutson Mason was the QB? Who followed that up with Grayson Lambert and Faton Bauta?

Advertisement
Conley was nowhere near the player at UGA that Coley was at UM. He got drafted off a blazing 40 at the combine.

You listed like 4 guys in 15 years at UGA. And 1 of them (Conley) underachieved. That's not very good.

Conley's 20 total receiving TDs equal Coley's number. Almost 2000 yards in his career at over 16.5 per catch in a system that was an I-formation fullback based offense. As far as underachieving he was a 3-star prospect who wasn't as highly thought of as Coley.

Tavares King in the NFL. Marlon Brown in the NFL. Reggie Brown was in the NFL. So that is at least 7 WRs to the NFL in 15 years. 6 still hanging around in form or another.

Conley wasn't Coley. Did you watch the games or just quoting stats? He underachieved based on his measurables. I don't care if he was a 2 star. He's a big dude who ran a 4.3 at the combine, yet he caught 38 passes as a senior.

Now you're hitting me with Tavares King and Marlon and Reggie Brown? You made more plays than they did.

You're in thread talking about Richt's QB recruiting but won't acknowledge that Hutson Mason might have an affect on a WR's number. Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel were all on the team that year in 2014. That backfield might determine how many targets a WR might get as well.

Reggie Brown was a 2000 yard WR in the early 2000s. Tavares King caught 20 TDs in his career in that offense in the SEC. Thats two WRs who caught 20 TDs in their career and a 2000 yard WR back when the SEC was an I-formation league if your head coach wasn't Steve Spurrier. He wasn't recruiting great NFL talents but he had multiple players have good careers and turn them into plenty of NFL paychecks.

Whose fault was it that Hutson Mason was the QB? Who followed that up with Grayson Lambert and Faton Bauta?

I think Rick still lands Eason if he wasn't canned but then again QB recruitment here doesn't seem like a major issue....yet.

Whoever fed him that misinformation at UM must have been exceedingly comfortable that the allegedly late offer wasn't a factor.

And they were wrong.

If you look at my posts, I've been screaming to offer him for ten months. This is exactly what I was afraid of.
So why do we assume you're right that an early offer before he played a HS game would have sealed the deal?

We offered when? October or November? Would August have 100% locked him in? Would he have been impervious to the message Seider sent him and the relationship he built with him just because our offer came in August instead of November?

I understand the early offer idea. It makes some sense. But you shouldn't have to offer everyone with an inkling of abilityin their junior year in order to get them.

You have listed a ton of your under the radar guys over the years. If we don't offer all the guys on your extensive lists as juniors are we doomed?

We need better salesmen.

1) The late offer ****ed off Harley's dad per multiple sources, and he was in his ear about WVU.
2) The fact that Miami was out of the picture allowed Seider to develop a relationship without competition from us. Dugans was playing catch up in developing a relationship according to Harley's own interviews.

And I didn't just list Harley on a South Florida Watch List. I specifically said we should offer him due to our lack of speed. That was back in the spring. Harley didn't need to get sold on UM. He needed to get sold on WVU, and our inaction allowed a great recruiter like Seider to do just that.

4 months wasn't enough time to convince him to come to UM when he didn't need to get sold on UM?

Listen, man. I know what you're saying on the early offer stuff. There's some validity to it. But the fact that we can't beat WVU on a local kid who supposedly loved UM and didn't need to be sold should be a giant red flag to you that it's not all about an early offer.

We need to be able to recruit better than that. There are good recruiters and not so good recruiters. It's why guys like Craig get paid a king's ransom to coach a position he's no expert coaching. If Seider was here and not at WVU we'd have secured Harley if we offered him when we did because he knows how to connect to kids and to recruit them.

There's more to recruiting than just being the first to offer. We've been early and still lost guys. If you're not willing to concede that, then you're just looking to quibble.

Should've offered him a long time ago and none of this sh*t would have happened. He'll fit in well with the West Virginia system.

I think Rick still lands Eason if he wasn't canned but then again QB recruitment here doesn't seem like a major issue....yet.

He's landed some great QBs. Point is you can't excuse Rick's shoddy WR recruiting by pointing to the QB when Rick also signed the QBs.

His QB recruiting was spotty. He had some world beaters, and then he'd have a few years with nothing in place.

Advertisement

He's landed some great QBs. Point is you can't excuse Rick's shoddy WR recruiting by pointing to the QB when Rick also signed the QBs.

His QB recruiting was spotty. He had some world beaters, and then he'd have a few years with nothing in place.

I blame Brian Schottenheimer for everything. Rick is a god**** saint.

Nah, agreed. Some of us need to be real careful about the reflexive need to defend the staff or downplay every failure. You'd think that lesson would've been learned already. This season and this recruiting cycle (as is right now) is certainly worthy of critique.

I don't think his WR recruiting was shoddy so I'm not excusing anything. Hutson Mason didn't help Conley in his senior season which was just one season in a good career. Miami has 6 WRs in its history to catch 20 TDs in a career. Richt had three in seven years. Throw in Fred Gibson and thats four.

I don't think his WR recruiting was shoddy so I'm not excusing anything. Hutson Mason didn't help Conley in his senior season which was just one season in a good career. Miami has 6 WRs in its history to catch 20 TDs in a career. Richt had three in seven years. Throw in Fred Gibson and thats four.

Conley's career was OK, but you equated him to Coley. He wasn't that good.

Now, you're trying to excuse his 36 catches as a senior by blaming the QB. However, Mason was actually OK in 2014. He completed 68 percent of his passes and had 21 TDs to 4 INTs. Pretty similar to Kaaya this year, yet Coley managed to have a much better senior season than Conley.

I don't care about the empty TD stats. UGA has more guys with 20 TDs in their career? So what? They probably also have more guys who played 4 years instead of the 3 most of our top guys played. Kaaya and Jacory piled up better stats than Bernie Kosar, but they weren't as good as he was.

You won't convince me Rick did a great job signing WRs at UGA, and I won't convince you he didn't. So I'm done with this discussion.

23 pages and nothing from Pete to take his medicine. Same thing happened with Jeudy.

Everything looks great for Miami, he says. Then they're not coming and he's nowhere to be found.

Advertisement
But the fact that we can't beat WVU on a local kid who supposedly loved UM and didn't need to be sold should be a giant red flag to you that it's not all about an early offer.

Why are the two things mutually exclusive?

I said we should have offered earlier. Nobody can reasonably dispute that. Is Dugans a great salesman? There isn't much proof that he is. But he's an even worse salesman when the other guy gets an 11-month head start.

We desperately needed speed and we still messed around with Dingle and Scott for months before offering Harley. That tells me two things: (1) we are too stubborn with size requirements; and (2) we aren't realistic about our own needs. We already dealt with this same crap in the Shannon era.

Other teams have 4* guys show up the weekend before signing day out of nowhere and commit. We better have 10 wins, an early offer, a sibling offer, the right gear, the last OV weekend, at least two Hall of Fame alums and a 73 degree day to "be at the table."

Same ****, different staff. If you can't see it, you're an idiot or in denial. Richt is a better coach than Golden, but his reciting outcomes haven't been

My thing is dugans had very little time last year and got bruce and richards to come back aboard i dont know what the **** hes doing now, so dont say the timing thing has to do with it he had time by his standards

We're in a lot of trouble on the recruiting side. This is beyond duffel bags... WVU doesn't have a pot to **** in like an SEC team. Sure Harley is a loss as we need speed at WR and we need bodies but anyone who thinks that most of us are just worried about losing Harley and his actual impact is not getting it. Year after year we lose the majority of these kids.

That we can't pull a 3* in our backyard at a position of need speaks to our recruiting capabilities. I'm sorry but we just got 3 Freshman All Americans...more than any other team yet we can't pull a WR or a CB we target when we need both badly? What are these guys saying or doing out there to fûck this up?

This year was a iffy year at CB and WR locally, heres the thing though if it is then you better get OOS kids, we aint doing that in the WR recruiting

CB wise, marco was never coming, hendersons dad was all in his ear about going to play for randy, and shawn aint really a corner, and we got the best corner in dade in bandy, outside of them four big drop off, wish we would have gone after some OOS DBs more but im hoping its because of next years class

All im going to say is next year they better go all out and get all the targets at those positions, get pope get campbell, get all those elite local kids no excuse not to het them next year

Last edited:
I questioned Dugans when he lost Latrell Williams mayne he recruited him to USF for a long time and still lost him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
What a first year bump for Richt. How can you not real a kid like this in from the state of West virginia

23 pages and nothing from Pete to take his medicine. Same thing happened with Jeudy.

Everything looks great for Miami, he says. Then they're not coming and he's nowhere to be found.

Every indication shows pete was right about jeudy. He never said we were more likely to get him than bama. What he did say is he had an amazing visit and he was really contemplating his choices, which he was.

Advertisement
the coaches never really recruited him hard. even in the contact period they werent on him that hard. it feels like thsi board loves him more than the coaches.

TBH we didnt get this kid because we didnt recruit him from the get go, if we did he be here IMO, that is why this is a FAIL for the staff put all their attention on OOS kids that arent always a guarantee, only way to somewhat save this class is if we get smith

Advertisement
Back