Bartow: Harley shuts down recruitment, sticks with WVU

Advertisement
Remember how anemic Rick's offense was his last couple years at UGA? He was scrambling for players so badly he had to take a reject QB from UVA. And that reject QB had no one to throw to.

Richt really never recruited wrs good at uga.

Chris Conley finished his career with comparable numbers to Coley and was drafted in the 3rd round in 2015. Malcolm Mitchell finished his career with numbers very similar to Coley as well. He was drafted in the 4th round. Both by quality organizations. Mohamed Massaquoi is another guy with those type of numbers.. If you don't think Coley is a good WR then OK. If you do, then Richt has recruited multiple quality WRs in the last 5-6 years not named AJ Green.

Conley was nowhere near the player at UGA that Coley was at UM. He got drafted off a blazing 40 at the combine.

You listed like 4 guys in 15 years at UGA. And 1 of them (Conley) underachieved. That's not very good.

Conley's 20 total receiving TDs equal Coley's number. Almost 2000 yards in his career at over 16.5 per catch in a system that was an I-formation running back focused offense. As far as underachieving he was a 3-star prospect who wasn't as highly thought of as Coley.

Tavares King in the NFL. Marlon Brown in the NFL. Reggie Brown was in the NFL. So that is at least 7 WRs to the NFL in 15 years. 6 still hanging around in form or another.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Remember how anemic Rick's offense was his last couple years at UGA? He was scrambling for players so badly he had to take a reject QB from UVA. And that reject QB had no one to throw to.

I said that when we hired him and got yelled at and had my feelings hurt by other CIS posters.

You really want to get real? He struggled with QB recruiting at times too.
Missing on Cam Newton & Deshaun Watson were huge misevaluations on his part at UGA...

With that said, do you place the blame more on Richt or Dugans? Because for me, Dugs is amateur hour, his recruiting ability is subpar & the fact we have to potentially add a "Power Move" Coach just to keep South Fla WR's home speaks volumes about his inability to close.

I put it on Rick because Rick hired Dugans. It eventually goes to the guy in charge of the football team. I'm not sure Dugans is the lead on all WR recruits, but he's obviously not a great recruiter. He's probably a great guy, but he's not delivering results as a recruiter.

You can't have all these position coaches who can't recruit and then tell me how great they are as technicians. Position coaches at this level need to be great recruiters. It's great if they can coach too, but first and foremost they need to be great recruiters.

Your OL coach and DL coach need to be great teachers and great technicians. But WR, RB, TE, CB coaches? Those are the guys who have to deliver recruits. That's where you hire the monster recruiters.
I agree with that wholeheartedly...

Chris Conley finished his career with comparable numbers to Coley and was drafted in the 3rd round in 2015. Malcolm Mitchell finished his career with numbers very similar to Coley as well. He was drafted in the 4th round. Both by quality organizations. Mohamed Massaquoi is another guy with those type of numbers.. If you don't think Coley is a good WR then OK. If you do, then Richt has recruited multiple quality WRs in the last 5-6 years not named AJ Green.

Conley was nowhere near the player at UGA that Coley was at UM. He got drafted off a blazing 40 at the combine.

You listed like 4 guys in 15 years at UGA. And 1 of them (Conley) underachieved. That's not very good.

Conley's 20 total receiving TDs equal Coley's number. Almost 2000 yards in his career at over 16.5 per catch in a system that was an I-formation fullback based offense. As far as underachieving he was a 3-star prospect who wasn't as highly thought of as Coley.

Tavares King in the NFL. Marlon Brown in the NFL. Reggie Brown was in the NFL. So that is at least 7 WRs to the NFL in 15 years. 6 still hanging around in form or another.

Conley wasn't Coley. Did you watch the games or just quoting stats? He underachieved based on his measurables. I don't care if he was a 2 star. He's a big dude who ran a 4.3 at the combine, yet he caught 38 passes as a senior.

Now you're hitting me with Tavares King and Marlon and Reggie Brown? You made more plays than they did.

I said that when we hired him and got yelled at and had my feelings hurt by other CIS posters.

Honestly don't remember you saying this but do remember you blasting anyone that wanted Butch as our coach.

Advertisement

Conley's 20 total receiving TDs equal Coley's number. Almost 2000 yards in his career at over 16.5 per catch in a system that was an I-formation fullback based offense. As far as underachieving he was a 3-star prospect who wasn't as highly thought of as Coley.

Conley wasn't Coley. Did you watch the games or just quoting stats? He underachieved based on his measurables. I don't care if he was a 2 star. He's a big dude who ran a 4.3 at the combine, yet he caught 38 passes as a senior.

Now you're hitting me with Tavares King and Marlon and Reggie Brown? You made more plays than they did.

Totally false...All made plays at Georgia. Especially Reggie Brown who was a beast. Coley is prob more gifted and electric than all of them, but obv softer as he rolls around in agony every time someone touches them.

But yeah all of them were very good college WR.

Advertisement

Honestly don't remember you saying this but do remember you blasting anyone that wanted Butch as our coach.

What does Butch's old loser *** have to do with any of this?

Advertisement

Knock about 300 yds off coleys stats for penalties.

You're in thread talking about Richt's QB recruiting but won't acknowledge that Hutson Mason might have an affect on a WR's number. Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel were all on the team that year in 2014. That backfield might determine how many targets a WR might get as well.

Reggie Brown was a 2000 yard WR in the early 2000s. Tavares King caught 20 TDs in his career in that offense in the SEC. Thats two WRs who caught 20 TDs in their career and a 2000 yard WR back when the SEC was an I-formation league if your head coach wasn't Steve Spurrier. He wasn't recruiting great NFL talents but he had multiple players have good careers and turn them into plenty of NFL paychecks.

Advertisement
Back