Bartow: Harley shuts down recruitment, sticks with WVU

link to article
Scoop: Harley shuts down recruitment

Scoop: Harley shuts down recruitment

West Virginia wide receiver Michael Harley (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./St. Thomas Aquinas) said he's shut down his recruitment, as first-reported by 247Sports.

Harley was slated to officially visit Miami January 13 and Florida January 27.

He will now only officially visit West Virginia January 20.

"I know that's where I want to go," Harley said. "I've always known that. I want to save face and not be one of these guys that say they're committed but they truly aren't. I don't want to worry (Mountaineers running backs coach JaJuan Seider)."

Seider offered Harley first.

"Coach Seider is family," Harley said. "I'm a great fit in their offense."

Harley will play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl next week. He plans to enroll at West Virginia this summer.

He originally verbally committed to the Mountaineers June 26.

The three-star recruit is ranked as the nation's No. 48 wide receiver and the No. 50 prospect in Florida in the 2017 class by 247SportsComposite.

As a senior, Harley caught 29 balls for 441 yards and eight touchdowns.

As a junior, Harley caught 11 balls for 121 yards and three touchdowns.

Advertisement
Richt isn't new this recruiting thing, so he shouldn't be scrambling for WR's at this point. They botched this horribly.

Add Mike Harley to the list of guys who grew up big Hurricanes fans, yet chose to put on for their city in some bum**** town nobody's ever heard of.

It's the coaches' fault for offering late, but some kid who grew up in Massillon, OH dreaming of an Ohio State* offer doesn't pick Minnesota just because the Suckeyes offered in November.

As Lu said, we don't win, we don't cheat, and we don't anticipate. The silver lining is it seems we're on the 2018 and beyond kids early, so anticipation perhaps won't be a problem moving forward. But we better ****ing start winning.

Duke Johnson was a Hurricanes fan. You and I are Hurricanes fans. Mike Harley would rather spend 4 years in Morgantown and taking weekend trips to Ames, Manhattan(Kansas), Lawrence and Lubbock. He had a passing interest growing up. He wasn't a fan. Thats his right but he wasn't a fan.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just like Holloman the first red flag is when they use the word they are "going" to commit. If they are "going" to commit then why don't they that day? So you are saying sometime in the future will be a better time?

I think when you get the I will be committing without actually committing from a kid you have to give them an ultimatum at that point.

That's what happens when you hire a Nole to do a Canes job.

There are a lot of alarming and familiar signs here, but losing out to WVU, that's about as bad as it gets. You're one step away from losing out to UCF, FAU, FIU, etc.

It's not the first time (Sticks), but its not supposed to happen to this staff. We were supposed to be past this crap.

I hope the staff learned an important lesson here and does an about face very quickly.

In much of the world, any out-of-state school knows that if a kid's hometown favorite offers, their commitment is bunk. That's not the case in Miami.

You can't slow play this kids and drag your ***. You can't let them feel like they're not the top priority.

We need to favor local, offer early and circle the wagons around your guys.

This is unacceptable. Wheres Pete to explain? Or did he go dark on us..

Maybe we should think about trading in "the Donk" for something newer...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Somebody please explain to me why we chose Dugans, a nole, over Kevin Beard, a Cane through and through, who loves this program. Is there any doubt that Beard would have secured Harley? Not in my mind. Additionally, I think Beard might have been able to close on Jeudy as well. Kids down here actually like and respect him, and its not like our receivers were terrible while he was at the helm. Richt should have kept him or offered more to bring his guy from UGA over. Dugans is just not cutting it.

A cane who had our guys dancing at the line of scrimmage yet struggled to get separation. We also had WRs who couldn't block which was important considering Coley's love of the screen game. Beard wasn't good as a WR coach. Probably why he has a non-coaching position on the UGA staff.

He's actually the WR coach at FIU now. But your point still stands. You could also mention that Coley and Beard went to UGA, and Kirby placed Coley as the position coach there.

Y'all faqots fell for the banana in the tailpipe with Rick once again.

Now be men and deal with it.

You wanted him and you got him. You traitors bashed Butch Davis after all that he did for this U, and championed over him a guy who never even started a meaningful game for any team he ever played for and who is a mediocre HC.

I hope that your crow tastes really good!

Advertisement
raw

(waits for Pete to wake up to see this)

He's about to post his 3-year-old exclusive with Kaaya's mom again.

He'll own up. Pete's source was wrong, so now he is too. Happens to writers and journalists. Pete's been on the right side enough this season vs. competitors.

I ain't hating on Pete, just talkin' ****.

This cycle is troubling. I hope the final 6 weeks of recruiting give us some hope moving forward.

Advertisement
Just like Holloman the first red flag is when they use the word they are "going" to commit. If they are "going" to commit then why don't they that day? So you are saying sometime in the future will be a better time?

I think when you get the I will be committing without actually committing from a kid you have to give them an ultimatum at that point.

Boom. I hate silent commits. I absolutely hate everything about them. Kept hearing about Holloman being a silent commit and we all saw how that played out. If you want to go play for a school, then just do it. Who cares about timing and all that BS? I'd rather have zero NSD hype and get all our guys locked up early similar to what Georgia's doing now.

Advertisement
Back