Barry jackson notes from first week of practice

DEFENSIVE FEEDBACK
▪ Former UCLA linebacker Jaelen Phillips is going to be a big factor.

“His size really jumps out,” one practice observer said.

It will take time for him to get back in rhythm after not playing for more than a year, but the athleticism and quick first step were evident to one source in attendance. Despite several injuries, observers saw the skill set that made him one of the top recruits in the nation in 2017. The Canes had him bulk up to play defensive end.

▪ One source said Temple grad transfer Quincy Roche isn’t overwhelming physically (just 235 pounds) but has polish and savviness as a pass rusher. That source compared his frame to longtime NFL pass rusher Dwight Freeney.

▪ Defensive tackle Nesta Silvera was “very disruptive” last week, one source said. “Best I’ve seen him look.”

▪ Redshirt Jalar Holley was impressive last week - the guy has a serious motor - and figures to join the defensive tackle rotation with Silvera and Jon Ford (the likely starters) and either Jordan Miller or redshirt freshman Jared Harrison-Hunte, who also has made a jump. Diaz noted how Harrison-Hunte made some plays last week where he “knocked some guards back.” What’s clear is UM is recruiting athletic defensive tackles who can really move.

▪ Jason Blissett, the other defensive tackle from last year’s class, is getting a look at defensive end after losing weight; he’s now at 257 pounds.

▪ The thinking is that senior Zach McCloud is going to be solid, reliable and prepared for whatever offenses throw at the Canes. One source said he expects Sam Brooks - who is out for the spring with an injury - will become “the guy” who plays alongside McCloud the most.

▪ Amid several injuries at the position, Avery Huff is getting a lot of linebacker reps this spring, and “you can see how athletic he is,” one practice observer said. “But he’s raw, too skinny.”

▪ One practice observer said safety Gurvan Hall looked very good last week; UM believes there’s another level he can get to after allowing three touchdown catches last season.

▪ Amari Carter will get a lot of first-team work this spring, with Bubba Bolden sidelined at least for the first half of spring ball. Carter is a cerebral and physical player but must improve in pass coverage; during the regular season last year, he gave up 212 yards on just nine receptions…

▪ There’s internal confidence in new striker Gilbert Frierson, who allowed too many receiving yards (133) on just five completions against him last season. By comparison, Romeo Finley - whose eligibility is up - relinquished 166 yards on 15 completions against him in the regular season.

▪ Sophomore Christian Williams, the ballyhooed four-star cornerback from Alabama, wasn’t a big factor last season - he was primarily used on special teams - but UM believes he has improved and he got some first team work last week.

▪ One observer at closed practices was struck by cornerback Al Blades Jr.’s intensity; he has become a vocal leader and was doing a good job “motivating guys.”

Though the offensive line could use help, one source said he won’t be surprised if UM uses its remaining scholarship on a grad transfer cornerback or linebacker.

👀
... @brock

I feel like Nesta has been disruptive since the womb but never does anything on the field.

Advertisement
That was an odd comment.

Berrios played well while he was here - for sure in his last year.

I think Restrepo can be a good ball player for us, but he hasn't done anything yet. Not yet.

And I HIGHLY doubt that Restrepo's SPARQ score was remotely close to Berrios's.

Berrios is in the NFL and Restrepo is a kid who was once considered a DB and now a WR who have done nothing. I hate when former players are disrespected in favor of guys who have proven chit besides being in shorts and a t-shirt.

Berrios is in the NFL and Restrepo is a kid who was once considered a DB and now a WR who have done nothing. I hate when former players are disrespected in favor of guys who have proven chit besides being in shorts and a t-shirt.
Let’s be real, berrios had 1 good/great year out of 4 seasons yet people praise him like he was moss at Miami. What berrios was at Miami isnt unattainable for restrepo period

I feel like Nesta has been disruptive since the womb but never does anything on the field.
I feel like people are being unfair towards a lot of players on this team because many of them haven't had the opportunity to play.

Nesta was behind Willis, Bethel & Tito Odenigbo his TF season, then last year was behind Ford, Bethel, Nnoruka after coming off a foot injury.

Our staff doesn't really believe in starting young guys ahead of veteran upper classmen therefore he first few seasons he hasn't had a full opportunity to actually show what he can or can't do.

The same thing for can be said for a number of players, fans are always so quick to bash or give up on a kid if he's not an All-American the day he sets foot on campus but routinely forget the players don't get to pick the Depth chart.

It'd be one thing if he started from day 1 & failed, but he's been used as a rotational DT, I'm not sure how he was supposed to show & prove what he can do if he snaps are being limited due to Diaz & Baker playing older guys ahead of him.

This season will be his first full season as a starter, let's see what he can do with getting the majority of the snaps now.

Advertisement
Let’s be real, berrios had 1 good/great year out of 4 seasons yet people praise him like he was moss at Miami. What berrios was at Miami isnt unattainable for restrepo period

No one said he couldn't....the point is, the praise for the new guys in shorts and t-shirts need to be tempered until the field, period. Berrios was drafted, and has a ring. He was one of 224 collegiate players drafted.

Advertisement
Sit yo duck *** down.

You stood up for Jarren nonstop yet here you are, knocking Berrios who didn’t create drama, unlike your guy JW - and did more for the program in that one year than Jarren - by far. What’s up with that Brock? Berrios is a Cane and in the NFL. Jarren... not so much.

****, you defended JT4 nonstop but Berrios also did more for the program than that underachiever too. I love Strepo but he hasn’t caught 1 ball in a game yet. You’re dissing a good Cane but yet you blast other people who diss Canes you like.

Sheesh... Mf’s be hatin.

That Berrios TD catch in the back of the end zone @ Duke is the best throw Rosier ever made as a hurricane, I know that’s not saying much. The catch wasn’t too bad either. He also played great against FSU. Wasn’t a world beater but I would take him in my squad all day long (berrios)

Advertisement
Sit yo duck *** down.

You stood up for Jarren nonstop yet here you are, knocking Berrios who didn’t create drama, unlike your guy JW - and did more for the program in that one year than Jarren - by far. What’s up with that Brock? Berrios is a Cane and in the NFL. Jarren... not so much.

****, you defended JT4 nonstop but Berrios also did more for the program than that underachiever too. I love Strepo but he hasn’t caught 1 ball in a game yet. You’re dissing a good Cane but yet you blast other people who diss Canes you like.

Sheesh... Mf’s be hatin.
You sound ridiculous as ****. It’s a ******* fact that berrios didn’t do sh*t until his final year pretty much. Ain’t nobody dissing no ******* one, get real... I dont hate berrios so where in the **** do you get that sh*t from?

Advertisement
Sit yo duck *** down.

Sheesh... Mf’s be hatin.
Chill bruh... I don’t think that’s what he meant

You sound ridiculous as ****. It’s a ******* fact that berrios didn’t do sh*t until his final year pretty much. Ain’t nobody dissing no ******* one, get real... I dont hate berrios so where in the **** do you get that sh*t from?
Ummm... because you stand up for failure, trouble causing Canes or one-time Canes like Jarren and JT4 yet you’re belittling Berrios by your Santana Moss comparison and then by talking Strepo, a freshman yet to play a game, over him. No one said Berrios was Santana Moss. Everyone loves Xavier Restrepo.

Berrios accomplished more than you’re 2 heroes. He also was an Academic All-American and is in the NFL now too

Advertisement
Back