Barry jackson notes from first week of practice

There's been countless coordinator changes over the years. Some worked great. Some bombed. I can counter your point by saying LSU brought in a passing game coordinator and changed to a no huddle spread and had their best season ever. By a mile.

There's a million variables.
Trust I love the moves we made I’m not a moper I just need something tangible not the same thing we hear every time in Spring. And w respect to LSU they have waaaay more talent then we do so they were just a good scheme away offensively, we’re not there.

Advertisement
I'd have to assume Jackson isn't comparing 18 year old Restrepo to 22 year old Berrios. You would compare a freshman to a similar player during his freshman year if you're making an apples to apples comparison.

...Willie did last year actually hamstrung Briles as a play caller, they weren't running the Briles Air Raid offense at FSU last year, they were running that stupid *** Gulf Coast offense with some Briles concepts in the passing game.....

Why did they do this? I just don’t understand this. Why would you bring someone like Briles in, for the very reason that your offense is not clicking, and then force upon him the very same offense that wasn’t working. I’m just scratching my head

How does it kill credibility? Braxton is an incredibly small guy, small catch radius etc, however he did ball, gave max effort and was a reliable receiver. Theres way more upside and a ceiling for restrepo given his physical size and ability as a true freshman.
Becasue that's not what the quote said?
Also, Berrios is 5'9 - Restrepo 5'10. These quotes make him seem like he's Greg Olsen out there instead of being an inch taller

One source said Xavier Restrepo was the most impressive of the freshmen receivers.

“He’s gained weight,” that person said. “I know there are Braxton Berrios comparisons, but he makes Berrios look like a fifth-grader [physically] and his hands are better than Berrios’.”

I never liked the lazy Berrios comparisons. Yeah they're both slots and return guys with similar size but they win in different ways. Restrepo is more physical and better after the catch. He can be a kick return guy whereas Berrios was a punt return guy who only had a 9'2" broad jump at the combine (2nd percentile for WR). Berrios had better intermediate separation skills but Restrepo is more explosive.

I've said it before but Restrepo is more like Chad Owens.

Advertisement
I'd have to assume Jackson isn't comparing 18 year old Restrepo to 22 year old Berrios. You would compare a freshman to a similar player during his freshman year if you're making an apples to apples comparison.
I think he’s talking about the builds of the 2

Trust I love the moves we made I’m not a moper I just need something tangible not the same thing we hear every time in Spring. And w respect to LSU they have waaaay more talent then we do so they were just a good scheme away offensively, we’re not there.

Would you have thought that prior to the season last year? Statistically, LSU's 2018 offense looked a lot like Miami's 2019 offense maybe with better run blocking linemen.

Joe Burrow- 57% completions 16/5 TD/INT, 133.2 Rating

Nick Brossette- 1039 yards 4.3ypc
Clyde Edwards-Helaire- 658 yards 4.5 ypc

Justin Jefferson- 58 rec 875 yards
No other receiver caught more than 23 passes.

These are really pedestrian numbers outside of Jefferson who had a nice but not spectacular season. I would not have looked at these results and said this was a super talented offensive team. If a scheme change can turn this pile of mediocrity into a record setting offense, I feel Miami can significantly benefit from a change too.

Which is why I said King is what gives me optimism but I’m not gonna go full cheerleader until I see some real **** mane.

And you’re right about the D-Line, FSU’s D was trash. The parallel is not really FSU though it’s having high expectations every year and falling short every time

Went with Briles spread only to be run by Hornibrook coming in from Wisconsin's Power I offense. Could there have been a worse fit?

I never liked the lazy Berrios comparisons. Yeah they're both slots and return guys with similar size but they win in different ways. Restrepo is more physical and better after the catch. He can be a kick return guy whereas Berrios was a punt return guy who only had a 9'2" broad jump at the combine (2nd percentile for WR). Berrios had better intermediate separation skills but Restrepo is more explosive.

I've said it before but Restrepo is more like Chad Owens.

That's nice comparison. I remembers Owens was always a clutch WR for Timmy Chang in that Run & Shoot June Jones offense.

Restrepo always reminded me of Michael Campanaro from Wake Forest, shifty slot WR & good return man.

Advertisement
Would you have thought that prior to the season last year? Statistically, LSU's 2018 offense looked a lot like Miami's 2019 offense maybe with better run blocking linemen.

Joe Burrow- 57% completions 16/5 TD/INT, 133.2 Rating

Nick Brossette- 1039 yards 4.3ypc
Clyde Edwards-Helaire- 658 yards 4.5 ypc

Justin Jefferson- 58 rec 875 yards
No other receiver caught more than 23 passes.

These are really pedestrian numbers outside of Jefferson who had a nice but not spectacular season. I would not have looked at these results and said this was a super talented offensive team. If a scheme change can turn this pile of mediocrity into a record setting offense, I feel Miami can significantly benefit from a change too.
I get what you’re saying but yes I would’ve still thought they had more talent because they stomped us out that year. But point well taken.

I don't see the Restrepo/Berrios comparison as receivers. I respect Berrios as a Cane and am grateful he is a Cane, but they are different players to me as receivers. As special as Berrios was, I believe Restrepo will be an even better receiver. I believe this new offensive system really plays to his strengths. He is an elusive, fearless, and intelligent receiver with a big south Florida chip on his shoulder. Love Berrios. He's my homie but for now #teamrestrepo.

Why did they do this? I just don’t understand this. Why would you bring someone like Briles in, for the very reason that your offense is not clicking, and then force upon him the very same offense that wasn’t working. I’m just scratching my head
Because coaches are stubborn. They want their system to work and they'll keep forcing it no matter how terrible the results are. We've seen it plenty of times here.

Because coaches are stubborn. They want their system to work and they'll keep forcing it no matter how terrible the results are. We've seen it plenty of times here.

Everything you say is true, but this took it to a whole other level. Bring in “offensive genius” coordinator, pay him millions of dollars, make him run your old offense that never worked.

Advertisement
Restrepo at +200 as a freshman is a wow inducing number.

He’s already a load for a guy his size with that kind of agility and speed.

Advertisement
Everything you say is true, but this took it to a whole other level. Bring in “offensive genius” coordinator, pay him millions of dollars, make him run your old offense that never worked.
Oh, it's completely idiotic but one thing I've learned is that common sense goes out the window when it's competing with ego for a lot of these coaches. It's one reason I'm not quite as down on Manny as a lot of people are. He's at least shown a willingness to say "ok that didn't work, let's try something else".

I know quite a few FSU grads/fans and they were never really down on Briles. From what I was able to gather, Taggart refused to let go of the reins and was still overly hand-on with the offense. They were running this weird mishmash of the two offenses and it was a disaster right from the jump.

Oh, it's completely idiotic but one thing I've learned is that common sense goes out the window when it's competing with ego for a lot of these coaches. It's one reason I'm not quite as down on Manny as a lot of people are. He's at least shown a willingness to say "ok that didn't work, let's try something else".

I know quite a few FSU grads/fans and they were never really down on Briles. From what I was able to gather, Taggart refused to let go of the reins and was still overly hand-on with the offense. They were running this weird mishmash of the two offenses and it was a disaster right from the jump.

That’s interesting.

Bad management on Willie’s part.

Restrepo is a good athlete with good athletic numbers but he didn’t necessarily test as well as berrios(not many of our receivers have). However restrepo imo is a more battle tested player considering the strong competition he’s played against in south Florida being and starting at sta and Deerfield beach. Restrepo is the better player coming in to Miami than berrios imo

Advertisement
Back