Barry jackson notes from first week of practice

Advertisement
Berrios was not very reliable catching the football until later in his career.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Brax. He will forever be etched in my Cane HOF just for his performance in 2017 in Doak alone. That was one of the 10 best performances by a Hurricane I've ever seen. But he caught a TOTAL of 45 passes his first 3 seasons here. He caught 55 just in his senior year. Let's not talk like it's blasphemous to say a kid might be ahead of where Brax was as a freshman.

It’s not blasphemous, just stupid.

Why? Because it’s after watching the first spring week of limited practice.

Now if they were to say that Restrepo is better after the first 3 days of spring practice than Berrios was after his first three days of spring practice, that would be an appropriate comparison, but then that would highlight the stupidity of even saying something like that.

In fact, for all we know, Restrepo could get limited or no snaps in real games as a freshmans.

DEFENSIVE FEEDBACK
▪ Former UCLA linebacker Jaelen Phillips is going to be a big factor.

“His size really jumps out,” one practice observer said.

It will take time for him to get back in rhythm after not playing for more than a year, but the athleticism and quick first step were evident to one source in attendance. Despite several injuries, observers saw the skill set that made him one of the top recruits in the nation in 2017. The Canes had him bulk up to play defensive end.

▪ One source said Temple grad transfer Quincy Roche isn’t overwhelming physically (just 235 pounds) but has polish and savviness as a pass rusher. That source compared his frame to longtime NFL pass rusher Dwight Freeney.

▪ Defensive tackle Nesta Silvera was “very disruptive” last week, one source said. “Best I’ve seen him look.”

▪ Redshirt Jalar Holley was impressive last week - the guy has a serious motor - and figures to join the defensive tackle rotation with Silvera and Jon Ford (the likely starters) and either Jordan Miller or redshirt freshman Jared Harrison-Hunte, who also has made a jump. Diaz noted how Harrison-Hunte made some plays last week where he “knocked some guards back.” What’s clear is UM is recruiting athletic defensive tackles who can really move.

▪ Jason Blissett, the other defensive tackle from last year’s class, is getting a look at defensive end after losing weight; he’s now at 257 pounds.

▪ The thinking is that senior Zach McCloud is going to be solid, reliable and prepared for whatever offenses throw at the Canes. One source said he expects Sam Brooks - who is out for the spring with an injury - will become “the guy” who plays alongside McCloud the most.

▪ Amid several injuries at the position, Avery Huff is getting a lot of linebacker reps this spring, and “you can see how athletic he is,” one practice observer said. “But he’s raw, too skinny.”

▪ One practice observer said safety Gurvan Hall looked very good last week; UM believes there’s another level he can get to after allowing three touchdown catches last season.

▪ Amari Carter will get a lot of first-team work this spring, with Bubba Bolden sidelined at least for the first half of spring ball. Carter is a cerebral and physical player but must improve in pass coverage; during the regular season last year, he gave up 212 yards on just nine receptions…

▪ There’s internal confidence in new striker Gilbert Frierson, who allowed too many receiving yards (133) on just five completions against him last season. By comparison, Romeo Finley - whose eligibility is up - relinquished 166 yards on 15 completions against him in the regular season.

▪ Sophomore Christian Williams, the ballyhooed four-star cornerback from Alabama, wasn’t a big factor last season - he was primarily used on special teams - but UM believes he has improved and he got some first team work last week.

▪ One observer at closed practices was struck by cornerback Al Blades Jr.’s intensity; he has become a vocal leader and was doing a good job “motivating guys.”

Though the offensive line could use help, one source said he won’t be surprised if UM uses its remaining scholarship on a grad transfer cornerback or linebacker.

👀
... @brock

Advertisement
How does Restrepo make Berrios look like a 5th grader when Berrios was one of the most elite athletes from his year?
He’s talking about physically, restrepo is about 205 pounds right now and one of the most physically impressive looking receivers, that’s what he’s referring to not berrios and restrepo’s sheer athleticism

DEFENSIVE FEEDBACK
▪ Former UCLA linebacker Jaelen Phillips is going to be a big factor.

“His size really jumps out,” one practice observer said.

It will take time for him to get back in rhythm after not playing for more than a year, but the athleticism and quick first step were evident to one source in attendance. Despite several injuries, observers saw the skill set that made him one of the top recruits in the nation in 2017. The Canes had him bulk up to play defensive end.

▪ One source said Temple grad transfer Quincy Roche isn’t overwhelming physically (just 235 pounds) but has polish and savviness as a pass rusher. That source compared his frame to longtime NFL pass rusher Dwight Freeney.

▪ Defensive tackle Nesta Silvera was “very disruptive” last week, one source said. “Best I’ve seen him look.”

▪ Redshirt Jalar Holley was impressive last week - the guy has a serious motor - and figures to join the defensive tackle rotation with Silvera and Jon Ford (the likely starters) and either Jordan Miller or redshirt freshman Jared Harrison-Hunte, who also has made a jump. Diaz noted how Harrison-Hunte made some plays last week where he “knocked some guards back.” What’s clear is UM is recruiting athletic defensive tackles who can really move.

▪ Jason Blissett, the other defensive tackle from last year’s class, is getting a look at defensive end after losing weight; he’s now at 257 pounds.

▪ The thinking is that senior Zach McCloud is going to be solid, reliable and prepared for whatever offenses throw at the Canes. One source said he expects Sam Brooks - who is out for the spring with an injury - will become “the guy” who plays alongside McCloud the most.

▪ Amid several injuries at the position, Avery Huff is getting a lot of linebacker reps this spring, and “you can see how athletic he is,” one practice observer said. “But he’s raw, too skinny.”

▪ One practice observer said safety Gurvan Hall looked very good last week; UM believes there’s another level he can get to after allowing three touchdown catches last season.

▪ Amari Carter will get a lot of first-team work this spring, with Bubba Bolden sidelined at least for the first half of spring ball. Carter is a cerebral and physical player but must improve in pass coverage; during the regular season last year, he gave up 212 yards on just nine receptions…

▪ There’s internal confidence in new striker Gilbert Frierson, who allowed too many receiving yards (133) on just five completions against him last season. By comparison, Romeo Finley - whose eligibility is up - relinquished 166 yards on 15 completions against him in the regular season.

▪ Sophomore Christian Williams, the ballyhooed four-star cornerback from Alabama, wasn’t a big factor last season - he was primarily used on special teams - but UM believes he has improved and he got some first team work last week.

▪ One observer at closed practices was struck by cornerback Al Blades Jr.’s intensity; he has become a vocal leader and was doing a good job “motivating guys.”

Though the offensive line could use help, one source said he won’t be surprised if UM uses its remaining scholarship on a grad transfer cornerback or linebacker.

👀
... @brock
Only 4 cbs in spring, of course an on looker at practice would say something like that given the overall lack of numbers there this spring. However, they will be fine when dunson and Clarke get there. I’m not worried about talent at the position and fully expect Christian Williams and couch to step up at cb either way🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
Advertisement
True Spread offense with a dynamic talent at qb, completely different situation than those years you heard the same sh*t
King is the sole reason I’m optimistic. FSU made the same move last year and were abysmal I want to see a real product. Go back to last spring threads it’s ******* groundhogs day.

King is the sole reason I’m optimistic. FSU made the same move last year and were abysmal I want to see a real product. Go back to last spring threads it’s ******* groundhogs day.
We're not FSU & they definitely didn't make the same moves last year.

They didn't bring in a QB like King, they never had a Defensive Line we do & what people seem to not understand about what Willie did last year actually hamstrung Briles as a play caller, they weren't running the Briles Air Raid offense at FSU last year, they were running that stupid *** Gulf Coast offense with some Briles concepts in the passing game.

I understand why people think there's a parallel, but if you actually pay attention there's a big difference between what FSU did & what we're doing.

Not jumping on you or anything, just saying it's not the same scenario.

On, Xavier Restrepo : “He’s gained weight,” that person said. “I know there are Braxton Berrios comparisons, but he makes Berrios look like a fifth-grader [physically] and his hands are better than Berrios’.”

Quotes like this kill any crediblity these articles have. Berrios saved our *** more that a couple times with his clutch catches and had the most reliable hands on punt returns than we've had in a long time [win that Florida game with him back there instead of Thomas].
Retrepo better look like The Rock if someone is actually comparing Braxton to a "fifth-grader'

Exactly, and how much bigger could Xavier have gotten? Is he somehow 6'3 195 now?

Advertisement
Restrepo making Berrios impressions but physically bigger and has better hands..........okay!

Likens getting on WRs for not hustling back to line up for the next play. Finally some uptempo spread!

:xvfmlqq:
My friends hs player played under him said he’s a player coach but demands respect. Pushes kids.

On, Xavier Restrepo : “He’s gained weight,” that person said. “I know there are Braxton Berrios comparisons, but he makes Berrios look like a fifth-grader [physically] and his hands are better than Berrios’.”

Quotes like this kill any crediblity these articles have. Berrios saved our *** more that a couple times with his clutch catches and had the most reliable hands on punt returns than we've had in a long time [win that Florida game with him back there instead of Thomas].
Retrepo better look like The Rock if someone is actually comparing Braxton to a "fifth-grader'

How does it kill credibility? Braxton is an incredibly small guy, small catch radius etc, however he did ball, gave max effort and was a reliable receiver. Theres way more upside and a ceiling for restrepo given his physical size and ability as a true freshman.

Advertisement
FSU doesn’t have the talent Miami has on either side of the ball at Nearly all of the positions and their defense wasn’t no where near as good as Miami’s. Can’t compare Miami’s situation with FSU, incomparable

We're not FSU & they definitely didn't make the same moves last year.

They didn't bring in a QB like King, they never had a Defensive Line we do & what people seem to not understand about what Willie did last year actually hamstrung Briles as a play caller, they weren't running the Briles Air Raid offense at FSU last year, they were running that stupid *** Gulf Coast offense with some Briles concepts in the passing game.

I understand why people think there's a parallel, but if you actually pay attention there's a big difference between what FSU did & what we're doing.

Not jumping on you or anything, just saying it's not the same scenario.
Which is why I said King is what gives me optimism but I’m not gonna go full cheerleader until I see some real **** mane.

And you’re right about the D-Line, FSU’s D was trash. The parallel is not really FSU though it’s having high expectations every year and falling short every time

There's been countless coordinator changes over the years. Some worked great. Some bombed. I can counter your point by saying LSU brought in a passing game coordinator and changed to a no huddle spread and had their best season ever. By a mile.

There's a million variables.

Advertisement
Back