All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

I'm about to make a move on this draft. With my 5th round selection, I select one of the more versatile OL in the history of UM: a guy who could play inside, excel outside at RT as a mauler, was a #1 overall recruit and then a 1st round draft pick:

RT/OG, Vernon Carey

p-264615-vernon-carey-autographed-hand-signed-miami-hurricanes-8x10-photo-pba-2805.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdVT5zEZdU

Advertisement
Vilma! Jon Vilma!

Vilma playing behind Brown and Sapp is illegal in 27 states and the District of Columbia, I believe. That's just nasty. Either JB or Sapp are going to played heads up. You can't double everyone. And that is going to free the **** up out of the MLB- JV could go for 175 tackles. And think of the pressure it takes off the rest of the defense. Jesus. Plus you just drafted your defensive captain who is going to make all the calls, and make them perfectly.

Vilma! Jon Vilma!

Vilma playing behind Brown and Sapp is illegal in 27 states and the District of Columbia, I believe. That's just nasty. Either JB or Sapp are going to played heads up. You can't double everyone. And that is going to free the **** up out of the MLB- JV could go for 175 tackles. And think of the pressure it takes off the rest of the defense. Jesus.

Like I said earlier, the only issue with that is that both of those DTs are one gap players. They're not space eaters and they won't keep guys off of our historically "smaller" MLBs (sans Morgan). It's specifically why I valued Morgan as a MLB in this draft and valued Tez Kennedy so much.

Vilma! Jon Vilma!

Vilma playing behind Brown and Sapp is illegal in 27 states and the District of Columbia, I believe. That's just nasty. Either JB or Sapp are going to played heads up. You can't double everyone. And that is going to free the **** up out of the MLB- JV could go for 175 tackles. And think of the pressure it takes off the rest of the defense. Jesus.

Like I said earlier, the only issue with that is that both of those DTs are one gap players. They're not space eaters and they won't keep guys off of our historically "smaller" MLBs (sans Morgan). It's specifically why I valued Morgan as a MLB in this draft and valued Tez Kennedy so much.
\

I disagree. Sapp can suck up real estate and demands a double team and they are both so incredibly disruptive. OL's are going to need to double both of them and you can't! Vilma is going to cherry pick.

Advertisement
Vilma! Jon Vilma!

That was my concern, to be honest, but I just think that really, Vilma was easily the best middle linebacker on the board and I wanted to make sure I had someone behind my guys that was worthy of them. The counter to that is that later in Sapp's NFL career, he often drew the double as the nose in a 3-4. Granted, we've loosely defined the era we are drawing from, or whether we are to weigh college more heavily than pro or vice versa, but it is what it is. I'll take my chances!

With the first pick in the sixth round, Larry selects...

39.jpg

Mr. Two for Two...Two Time National Champion...Two Time Super Bowl Champion...Miami Hall of Famer, All-American, Miami's own...

Darrin Smith (1986-91)

Vilma! Jon Vilma!

Vilma playing behind Brown and Sapp is illegal in 27 states and the District of Columbia, I believe. That's just nasty. Either JB or Sapp are going to played heads up. You can't double everyone. And that is going to free the **** up out of the MLB- JV could go for 175 tackles. And think of the pressure it takes off the rest of the defense. Jesus. Plus you just drafted your defensive captain who is going to make all the calls, and make them perfectly.

:ohlord:...game over

Vilma! Jon Vilma!

\

I disagree. Sapp can suck up real estate and demands a double team and they are both so incredibly disruptive. OL's are going to need to double both of them and you can't! Vilma is going to cherry pick.

True, but there was NOBODY like Tez. That 1989 season was unreal. He was constantly blowing up backfields - moreso than Sapp did, imo.

Advertisement
Vilma! Jon Vilma!

\

True, but there was NOBODY like Tez. That 1989 season was unreal. He was constantly blowing up backfields - moreso than Sapp did, imo.

He was bonkers that year. But is this one year? Or CFB plus NFL? Who the F knows, lol.

Larry took my Lester Williams sneaky DT option. I'm scrambling for a few minutes, but can go with the "go big" plan I had as an alternative. I'll make a selection now.

Advertisement
So far, the draft has gone back and forth amongst the typical path. I promised to shake this up with a specific plan. While certainly not the best player on the board right now, he's up there in terms of relative value because of the scarcity of his position.

- He's the highest drafted exterior linemen rated on the board.
- He played a full season out of position at Miami when he was forced to play LT.
- Similarly to Vernon Carey, he can be a mauler at RT - the position he basically played (because his QB was lefty) during his superb rookie season - or can move inside to Guard. He could be selected to a couple Pro Bowls.

I could have gone with a couple guys (one in particular who had more accolades as a college player) who are around the same level as OTs, but none of them have the versatility that he has to play RT or LG or RG.

Who is this guy?

RT/OG, ORLANDO FRANKLIN

40.jpg

Those 70's defenses were good, some were very good with NFL talent. Considering they were on the filed for 80% of the game, they don't get enough mention.

Advertisement
So far, the draft has gone back and forth amongst the typical path. I promised to shake this up with a specific plan. While certainly not the best player on the board right now, he's up there in terms of relative value because of the scarcity of his position.

An argument can easily be made for another.

An argument can easily be made for another.

Unless I missed something, the only other (2) OL who were drafted higher were interior players (where there's more supply).

My bad, I misread your post.

The one I'm thinking was drafted only slightly lower than BigO.

Advertisement
Back