All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

There were some guys I hadn't recalled or thought about that some folks highlighted that made this interesting for me.

The hardest guys to deal with are some of the young NFL studs who just weren't that great at Miami. Calais Campbell could end up being one of the best DEs ever to come from Miami. But how do you score him at this point? He wasn't that great at UM, and hasn't proved it over a career in the NFL -- but he's right on the cusp and big and physical (and much stronger than he was at UM), so ... how to score? Ditto Beason. IMO Wilfork is like this but he was better than these guys at UM, just wasn't an every down guy. But he's great as an anchor in the NFL today. Guys from the past sort themselves out and are easier to score than guys who are mid-flight and have this sort of NFL>college trajectory.

The other thing that was interesting for me was how many great guys there were from the '60s-'70s.

Advertisement
Just an FYI, Jimmy Graham was just rated the #14 player in ALL OF FOOTBALL...highest rated 'Cane...

Andre Johnson was #15...
Ed Reed was #16...CA-CHING!
Ray Lewis was #20...
Frank Gore #28...
Devin Hester #48...
Jonathan Vilma #58...
Vince Wilfork #81...
Willis McGahee #98...

I would've have taken Heffernan or either of the Cristobal bros in a heartbeat over some of the OLmen taken by some. All were extremely solid for us even if no pro career was to be had.

Me too. And I get the Sherko pick. He just would have made a lot more sense in round 25, not round 12 where he was taken. He's not a bad player, was just a massive reach that early.
I concede he was a reach. Without having gamed out a draft, it was hard to predict who would go where. Overall, I think guys I named on my board went almost to a T where I thought they should. That was what made OL scary for me, because I had fewer options at OL because of the way I was thinking about the line and had set my criteria, and frankly, there were some OGs I just hadn't remembered so my board was too thin there. Seeing how aligned everyone was in the drafting, I reached on Sherko. From a pure strategy perspective, it's clear in hindsight no one was going to take him for a while, so I shouldn't have taken him that high.

In almost every other instance, however, I think guys went about where I thought they would, and my team strategy (at least as I set it out for myself) worked well from my pov.

Just an FYI, Jimmy Graham was just rated the #14 player in ALL OF FOOTBALL...highest rated 'Cane...

Andre Johnson was #15...
Ray Lewis was #20...
Frank Gore #28...
Devin Hester #48...
Jonathan Vilma #58...
Vince Wilfork #81...
Willis McGahee #98...

I saw that. I still don't know what to do with him in this exercise, for the reasons noted. It's unanswerable.

I would've have taken Heffernan or either of the Cristobal bros in a heartbeat over some of the OLmen taken by some. All were extremely solid for us even if no pro career was to be had.

Me too. And I get the Sherko pick. He just would have made a lot more sense in round 25, not round 12 where he was taken. He's not a bad player, was just a massive reach that early.
I concede he was a reach. Without having gamed out a draft, it was hard to predict who would go where. Overall, I think guys I named on my board went almost to a T where I thought they should. That was what made OL scary for me, because I had fewer options at OL because of the way I was thinking about the line and had set my criteria, and frankly, there were some OGs I just hadn't remembered so my board was too thin there. Seeing how aligned everyone was in the drafting, I reached on Sherko. From a pure strategy perspective, it's clear in hindsight no one was going to take him for a while, so I shouldn't have taken him that high.

In almost every other instance, however, I think guys went about where I thought they would, and my team strategy (at least as I set it out for myself) worked well from my pov.

The whole thing was fun to watch. And it was great to think about a lot of the great Canes of the past.

Advertisement
Defenses should rule. The only QB that could make things happen under a relentless pass rush is Testeverde. And for that, I give Tano the edge.

Defenses should rule. The only QB that could make things happen under a relentless pass rush is Testeverde. And for that, I give Tano the edge.

Not sure if serious?

The idea of Vinny throwing towards me or Larry's secondaries is hilarious. He'd have five INTs in the first half.

Andre Johnson was #15...
Ray Lewis was #20...
Frank Gore #28...
Devin Hester #48...
Jonathan Vilma #58...
Vince Wilfork #81...
Willis McGahee #98...

I've got to give McGahee credit. He has really plugged through and has worked his way up the record books. He's at 7500 hards and still going, has 60 TDs. Will plausibly get to 9000+ yards and 70 TDs. He's wind up in the top 30-35 RBs of all time. Had he not gotten hurt at UM,he could easily have been much higher.

Not sure if serious?

The idea of Vinny throwing towards me or Larry's secondaries is hilarious. He'd have five INTs in the first half.

This argument can be made all over the field for these teams. I said the defenses should rule. So who has a chance at QB of making more plays? My vote is Vinny.

Advertisement

Not sure if serious?

So you're picking Vinny's worst game of his career to base your opinion on? You can do that for anyone. And, FWIW, Vinny's TD-INT ratio (2-1) is #3 at UM behind Dorsey (3-1) and Walsh (2.5-1) while at UM.

And, he was the best at making things happen when things broke down. Best overall athlete we've ever had at QB - best arm, strongest, and probably the fastest behind KK.

Not sure if serious?

So you're picking Vinny's worst game of his career to base your opinion on? You can do that for anyone. And, FWIW, Vinny's TD-INT ratio (2-1) is #3 at UM behind Dorsey (3-1) and Walsh (2.5-1) while at UM.

And, he was the best at making things happen when things broke down. Best overall athlete we've ever had at QB - best arm, strongest, and probably the fastest behind KK.

Remember the endzone throw to Shockey KD missed under a relentless rush at the end of the Fiesta Bowl? I think Vinny scores there.

Not sure if serious?

Vinny threw more than his share of INTs in the NFL, too.

Vinny might win a game for you. But he might lose one, too.

There are guys I just don't see putting on an all-time team like this. Orlando Franklin is another. The flags....

But that's what makes for a debate.

Advertisement
As an athlete, Vinny de la Testaverde is a top 5 UM athlete. Crazy thing is that he lives here in Tampa (unless he's mived recently) and still looks like he could play in the pros. Complete gym rat.

As an athlete, Vinny de la Testaverde is a top 5 UM athlete. Crazy thing is that he lives here in Tampa (unless he's mived recently) and still looks like he could play in the pros. Complete gym rat.

Could bench 400 lbs at 40 years old

Advertisement
Back