All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

RE: Lu v. k9's offensive line...

Bryant McKinnie is one of the most dominant OT college football has seen...in the pros, he runs hot and cold like he's going through menopause...when he was playing next to Steve Hutchinson, he was a monster...at times...then he was a complete bum during other times. He was good for at least 8 sacks allowed a year as a pro.

IMO, Searcy (no Jaguar bias, I swear) was the more consistent and better overall pro. But, admittedly, he probably did not have the peak of McKinnie in college, but he was still A-level as a 'Cane, while McKinnie was A+. But, like I sez, Joe...Searcy, IMO, the more consistent pro and IMO a better pro career.

IMO, Sullivan > Patchan by a lot. Both as a collegiate, and Sullivan even played in the pros for a few years.

On the interior...this is where it gets interesting...Lu took two "tackles" that are probably best in at guard...if I'm evaluating talent...sounds great. On accomplishment alone...as collegiates...meh...Carey was a third team All-American in 03...he's been a good but never great pro...Mercier was a ridiculously decorated collegiate...never caught on the pros...but he's cream of the crop as a collegiate guard at Miami.

1-3, I'd probably give the nod to k9 head to head...Lu might squeak ahead because he's got a better remaining guard/center...I think Orlando Franklin is being a little overrated. As a collegiate...lots of meh...as a pro...promising, but he did give up 8 sacks for a team that ran the ball more than any team in the league last year, BUT, where he was very strong was in the run game, but he benefited from lining up next to Chris Kuper who is a stud and was probably the best run blocking guard in the league last year. But, regardless...Franklin is a better player than Blaise...Wise gets the nod ahead of Garcia.

It is a lot closer than Lu probably thinks it is, but that is my opinion...its close.

:fistbump:

Advertisement
so. now what? Doesn't D$ have to wrap it up?

I got Dalton Botts if he hasn't been picked.

So how do we want to do the tournament? Papa Cane on Twitter has offered to help promote it, which I think will be a pretty cool situation. What do you fellas think?

Larry will be coming up with something for next week...

I want to let some debate rage here for a few days, then we'll start something...but its tough to have a tourney with six teams lol.

Guys not picked is an interesting discussion. Albert Bentley. William Joseph (all-time leader in starts at UM). Broughton. Weisacosky. Mira Jr. (finished as all-time leading tackler). Brophy.

Like I also sez, Joe...I don't think anyone's offensive line is very good throughout...I think all of the defensive lines that people drafted would be able to dominate the offensive line across from them...too much talent across the board on the front four for the incomplete lines to keep up with.

so. now what? Doesn't D$ have to wrap it up?

I got Dalton Botts if he hasn't been picked.

So how do we want to do the tournament? Papa Cane on Twitter has offered to help promote it, which I think will be a pretty cool situation. What do you fellas think?

Larry will be coming up with something for next week...

I want to let some debate rage here for a few days, then we'll start something...but its tough to have a tourney with six teams lol.

Guys not picked is an interesting discussion. Albert Bentley. William Joseph (all-time leader in starts at UM). Broughton. Weisacosky. Mira Jr. (finished as all-time leading tackler). Brophy.

Keeping it really real right now...

I'm ashamed of you *****.

The fact that Jay Brophy, GM2, and William Joseph weren't taken in this draft is ridiculous.

A few others...James Jackson...Don Mariutto and Charlie George (totally understand due to size and it being way back in the day)...Al Carapalla (again, I understand), George Mira Sr (again, I understand), Jamaal Green, Allen Bailey, Darren Krein, Bob Nelson, Tony Chickillo, Dan Sileo, Rod Carter, Randy Shannon, Bruce Fleming, Harold Sears, Tom Pratt, Tom Sullivan, Kenny Calhoun, Jack Losch...****, I'm probably missing a lot of guys...

What this exercise should really show us all is this...

No one produced talent like the University of Miami...EVER. And Miami just didn't start producing talent in the 80's...the 70's had a ridiculous amount of defensive players that were studs. The 50's and 60's produced players, too.

We could have added another team and the teams would STILL be stacked.

Very true. Amazing the talent, amazing the guys left undrafted, and amazing someone wanted Sherko on their team

Advertisement
Mira Jr. surprised me. One of the biggest hitters the program has ever seen, the #1 ranked LB in the country his last year, and someone who had records that weren't broken for double-digit years. Flat out killa out there. Amazing that there are some LBs that got picked ahead of him.

Very true. Amazing the talent, amazing the guys left undrafted, and amazing someone wanted Sherko on their team

Eh, to be fair...offensive line is tough...there were better linemen available than Sherko, but they were undersized, I guess. Miami produced some good collegiate offensive linemen back in the day, but I think I might be the only one here that gave zero ***** about player size in this thing...I don't think people were going to take 6'0" 200lb Charlie George.

Mira Jr. surprised me. One of the biggest hitters the program has ever seen, the #1 ranked LB in the country his last year, and someone who had records that weren't broken for double-digit years. Flat out killa out there. Amazing that there are some LBs that got picked ahead of him.

The thing is except for maybe two teams that wanted a 3-4 option, you only had 6 inside LB spots. I took Conners over Mira. He had a multiple All-Pro level pro career compared to no pro career for Mira. That was my criteria, or a big part of it.

Advertisement

Eh, to be fair...offensive line is tough...there were better linemen available than Sherko, but they were undersized, I guess. Miami produced some good collegiate offensive linemen back in the day, but I think I might be the only one here that gave zero ***** about player size in this thing...I don't think people were going to take 6'0" 200lb Charlie George.
I'm prepared to learn from some of my picks. I had a HOF Center, and wanted big, strong, smart OGs next to him to help with interior DLs.

When I look back on the draft, there were more OG options than I originally perceived, so I could have just waited and grabbed someone lower, I suppose. I felt I was boxed in somewhat into constructing a line that could work when the tackles thinned out. But having Otto anchor the middle gave me freedom. There was thought that went into it, even if it was a need pick and a reach.

To be fair, I would have taken Don Mariutto over Sherko...maybe even Heffernan...it was a weak pick (Sherko) but I see why you made it.

I would've have taken Heffernan or either of the Cristobal bros in a heartbeat over some of the OLmen taken by some. All were extremely solid for us even if no pro career was to be had.

I would've have taken Heffernan or either of the Cristobal bros in a heartbeat over some of the OLmen taken by some. All were extremely solid for us even if no pro career was to be had.

I was looking at Mario over Berticelli, but I need a LT. I thought Ward, slight > Mario Cristobal on the right side.

On the interior, was shocked Mario's brother didn't get picked.

Advertisement
Luis was very good @ G. Heck, I think even Mario started out on the inside, iirc, before getting kicked outside to T. Or maybe it was his brother? Can't honestly remember.

Advertisement
To be fair, I would have taken Don Mariutto over Sherko...maybe even Heffernan...it was a weak pick (Sherko) but I see why you made it.

Heffernan was on my board, but i didnt take him because (a) lack of nfl production and (b) size. He did more at UM, but my criteria were different and i just didnt know how i could envision heffernan linedup against some bigger interior dls. Just goes to the criteria folks used.

Crazy to think this could have been done with eight teams and still yielded some very formidable rosters.

Crazy to think this could have been done with eight teams and still yielded some very formidable rosters.

I chose six simply due to offensive line...At 6, you are kind of stretching it...add another 10 offensive linemen, and they'd all be swiss cheese.

Me too. And I get the Sherko pick. He just would have made a lot more sense in round 25, not round 12 where he was taken. He's not a bad player, was just a massive reach that early.

Advertisement
Back