All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

I select David Jefferson, DB

I like this pick a lot. Three-year starter @ SS for Schnelly. 6'2", 220# that hit like a truck. Part of Saban's classes that laid the foundation for the turnaround. All-county and state from Hialeah-Miami Lakes HS. Bad man w/ bad intentions in the secondary.

Advertisement
I'm actually going to go with Brian Monroe. Not only was he a 4-year starter with a 40/yard average, but he will be the jester for my team's amusement. Plus, he's a trainer at my gym, so maybe he'll give me free protein bars.

I don't even know you any more.

I'm actually going to go with Brian Monroe. Not only was he a 4-year starter with a 40/yard average, but he will be the jester for my team's amusement. Plus, he's a trainer at my gym, so maybe he'll give me free protein bars.

I don't even know you any more.

Porfavor. I wouldn't eat those processed things. I would sell them on the street for double and triple the price (like crack), and buy fruits and vegetables, obviously.

Tano's team dominates all others. His defense would give up an average of 6-9 points a game against the top offense in this draft. His offense would dominate the clock and win 14-9 even against the top dogs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Folks that are picking current players are ****ting the bed. How are you going to justify a current 2 year starter's career at UM vs. a player that attended UM, played 3-4 years here, was drafted in the NFL, and had a successful career.

FACT BASED HOMIE. Otherwise we might as well just play Dungeons and Dragons, and even that game had more structure and clarity than this.

Dalton Botts one season resulted in the fifth best punting average in UM history.

/just sayin

With his last pick in the draft, Sands selects the most decorated player in UM history, and in fact one of the most decorated players in the history of college football. A member of the College Football Hall of Fame. A guy who won every award, claiming unanimous First Team All-America honors, dominating the Heisman voting, winning the Davey O'Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm, Maxwell and Walter Camp awards as well as every other Player of the Year award in 1992.

As a junior, Torretta led the Hurricanes to the 1991 National Championship game and was named the Big East Player of the Year. During his senior season in 1992, Torretta once again led Miami to the National Championship game and a Big East Championship. Torretta again took home Big East Player of the Year as well as the 1992 Tanqueray World Amateur Athlete of the Year. He currently holds the conference record for lowest career percentage of interceptions (1.94), passing yards in a single-game (485) and longest passing play (99) yards, also an NCAA record. Torretta led Miami to a 26-2 record as a starter and was part of Miami's NCAA record 58-game home winning streak, and a National Championship. While at UM, he rewrote the Miami record books, leaving with 11 records to his name, including career marks for passing yards (7,690), pass completions (555) and total offense (7,722 yards). He also set a record for consecutive passes thrown without an interception (123).

I appreciate that people's emotions get the best of them. And I appreciate that guys like Vinny, Walsh and Dorsey, e.g., inspire hope and aspiration. But none of them have anything on Geno Toretta. And that is a stone cold fact.

Advertisement
I'm going to feel empty inside when we finally finish this thing, unless we do something with it.

What are the parameters of this competition? NCAA only? NCAA & NFL? What? have you bothered to limit the sample size? If combined, Gino has nothing on Vinny who threw for over 40,000 yards in the NFL.

Advertisement
What are the parameters of this competition? NCAA only? NCAA & NFL? What? have you bothered to limit the sample size? If combined, Gino has nothing on Vinny who threw for over 40,000 yards in the NFL.

There is the debate.

There is no "parameters"...otherwise, this thing would be boring. Six owners have six different criteria of what makes a good player. How else can you debate? There is no debate that Ray Lewis is the greatest linebacker ever...but, he wasn't the greatest linebacker at Miami (Dan Morgan for his 2000 season, for my money was the best linebacker not only Miami has seen, but college football has seen in at least 30 years)...so, who has the better linebacker? The guy with Ray Lewis or the guy with Dan Morgan...I think that is a fun debate with no real "right" answer when discussing a better Miami-based squad.

Then when you line up pro dominant defensive tackles versus the greatest center of all-time, who is better?

Or when you start discussing units...most people would hate on my offensive line, but, uhhh, no one really has a dominant offensive line in this thing, and if you know your 'Canes history, you'd know that in the early-mid 80's Miami dominated with a slightly "smaller" (we're still talking about 6'3" 280 average across my line) pass blocking unit filled with nasty ********...and, what is my offense based on...the passing game.

Everyone gives Tano's D massive props, but I actually think EthnicSand's defensive line is the best from this draft. I think the tandem of Hendricks and Edwards on the outside is better than Jerome Brown and Warren Sapp on the inside, especially when Sands has Burt and Don Smith as the tweener and Jim Burt and Gary Dunn occupying the middle...that is a very "Giants-like" defensive line and I think its better than Tano's that has no real rush from the outside.

RE: Where the debate is...

I, personally think, the best players at the top of this draft were both greats at Miami and the greats in the pros...aka, the College/Miami Hall of Famers and the Pro Hall of Famers...

So, Jim Kelly, Ray Lewis, Ted Hendricks, Ed Reed, Michael Irvin, Jim Otto, Warren Sapp...those guys should have been the first seven guys off the board, in my opinion (they were #1's 1-7 when I first came up with my list)...Great 'Canes...Great Collegiates, Hall of Fame pros. After those top 7 guys, you get a little more leeway...obviously guys like Cortez Kennedy would be on that next tier, with Bryant McKinnie...non-Pro Hall of Famers (maybe Kennedy makes it in in time), and Jerome Brown because he is considered the great pure 'Cane of All-Time...and even after that second tier, it really comes down to the mood you happen to be in on what makes a guy a greater 'Cane than another guy...whether its a better pro game or a better collegiate career. I mean, for me, personally, there comes a point when an All-American and 'Cane Hall of Fame old guy with a mild pro career is more valuable than a middling pro and a decent 'Cane that people might be more familiar with...then you have some of us that didn't really touch older players for an array of reasons.

Advertisement
Walsh(tie)Kelly>Kosar>Testaverde>Dorsey>Erickson>Torretta

imho

As pros...its Kelly>Kosar/Testaverde (Kosar better peak, Vinny longer more productive career) then everyone else.

In college...Dorsey>the field.

Not the physical player as the field, but the winningest QB and he owns the record book.

Now, if you want to get into the "most talented" or some other type of debate that just looks at stuff you can't really measure..then it gets interesting.

Walsh(tie)Kelly>Kosar>Testaverde>Dorsey>Erickson>Torretta

imho

As pros...its Kelly>Kosar/Testaverde (Kosar better peak, Vinny longer more productive career) then everyone else.

In college...Dorsey>the field.

Not the physical player as the field, but the winningest QB and he owns the record book.

Now, if you want to get into the "most talented" or some other type of debate that just looks at stuff you can't really measure..then it gets interesting.

Are you saying that the other guys would not have been as productive or won as much as Dorsey with the same teams?

I love Dorsey. But I feel good about any of those Qs under center on the 1999-2002 squads

Personally, I like Tano's squad the most for the overall depth. When his weakest link, imo, is a guy like Butler who's going into his 7th-year in the NFL, that's quality to me.

Best from top to bottom.

Advertisement
Back