All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

Advertisement
Yeah I'm concerned about how the two would compliment each other, but I'm excited because it opens up some possibilities to take some liberties with my defense that perhaps no one else will be able to take.

Yeah I'm concerned about how the two would compliment each other, but I'm excited because it opens up some possibilities to take some liberties with my defense that perhaps no one else will be able to take.

One concern is that I'm not sure either one of those can really hold down the Nose Tackle position in a true 3-4. Nevertheless, you have two one gappers who can create a ******* ****storm for opponents.

You could win it all with Fran Curci too. God **** we have a lot of great QB's in our history. We go 8-9 deep.

EthnicSands has chosen Sean Taylor, he will be around shortly with a write up.

Advertisement
Ok, with my second pick I go with Steve Walsh, yeah, we have some depth at QB. But again, the great UM teams all had a great trigger man and if you look at his two year run as the starter from 87-88, he played at a high of level of any Cane QB- and he played very strong schedules and should've been undefeated with two national titles. He was the consummate collegiate QB and his synergy with Gary Stevens( who would be my OC) was unparalleled

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With my quarterback solidified, I want to fortify the middle of my defense. Let me start with the most decorated defensive player in UM history. A guy with speed, smarts, and toughness. The Butkus, Bednariks and Nagurski award winner Dan Morgan.

11.jpg

Now that Morgan is locked up, I need a big boy to put in front of him. I'm going to roll with the Conscience, a guy who combined great physical gifts with tremendous character. The Outland-award winning Russell Maryland

1.jpg

I need some big uglies now, gimme Leon Searcy at OT. YEah, Im worried about my D-front but I don't like the value right now I'd get with some of the remaining D-lineman. So gimme a guy that can protect Walsh upfront.

Advertisement
I need some big uglies now, gimme Leon Searcy at OT. YEah, Im worried about my D-front but I don't like the value right now I'd get with some of the remaining D-lineman. So gimme a guy that can protect Walsh upfront.

Nice snag. I was hoping he'd last, but that was wishful thinking. The drop off from him to the next guy is fairly significant.

****, I was going to pick him up. I thought about picking him up last time up but it was too early I thought. Now the drop off is pretty steep

Last edited:
Okay, back on line.

First, i'd like to compliment my fellow pickers here. The guys getting selected are the right guys. We can debate the order, but its pretty **** good. I actually thought about mckinnie at 3, and like his pick at 5. Also thought about jb. Pains me at tez and sapp are gone so fast, too. But thats the right set of calls.

There are a few guys i thought of taking at the S. Taylor spot. Ultimately, i went with the best available player theory. And notwithstanding my love and respect for ed reed, sean taylor is far and away the best athlete and biggest difference maker i have ever seen on (the defensive side of) a college football field. Bar none. Ray lewis is the single best defensive player of all time. Sean taylor was more dominant on a college field.

Last edited:
With my next pick, sands selects Jim otto. With all due respect to mckinnie and searcy, there is only one UM alum in the pro football hall of fame as a lineman, and that is otto. 10x AFL all-pro. 3x NFL all-pro. First ballot hall of famer. Played in 308 consecutive games. Also played LB at UM.

Again, passing over some guys here. Teams take directions. Going best available. Again.

32.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Wow, did not see Otto going so early but very interesting - especially if the post-draft analysis puts a premium on pitting these teams against each other, with all the interior DL monsters that are going to litter the rosters it gives him a relatively unique position of strength.

Now that Morgan is locked up, I need a big boy to put in front of him. I'm going to roll with the Conscience, a guy who combined great physical gifts with tremendous character. The Outland-award winning Russell Maryland
Dude was unblockable in the Cotton Bowl

Wow, did not see Otto going so early but very interesting - especially if the post-draft analysis puts a premium on pitting these teams against each other, with all the interior DL monsters that are going to litter the rosters it gives him a relatively unique position of strength.
I struggled with the pick because there are guys on the board who have more name recognition, more hype or appeal or what not. OL are boring in the best of cases, and an OL who played before anyone here watched (or almost anyone here) almost feels like an empty pick. But the guy in a Hall of Famer, and possibly as good a Center as has ever played the game, at least baring Stephenson, who didn't get a full career. And yeah, when it comes to match-ups, with the DL out there, it sure is nice to have a GOAT-level center.

Advertisement
I struggled with the pick because there are guys on the board who have more name recognition, more hype or appeal or what not. OL are boring in the best of cases, and an OL who played before anyone here watched (or almost anyone here) almost feels like an empty pick. But the guy in a Hall of Famer, and possibly as good a Center as has ever played the game, at least baring Stephenson, who didn't get a full career. And yeah, when it comes to match-ups, with the DL out there, it sure is nice to have a GOAT-level center.

He would have been my very next pick.

The interesting thing is i didnt set out at all to go old school. If i'd picked a slot or two later, i'd have brown and mckinnie now and be really content.

I see a possible run of offensive linemen coming. Sands is right, Jim Otto is arguably the most prolific offensive lineman in UM history. But you know who's right behind him? It's not Bryant McKinnie. No, it's my next pick. Dennis Harrah.

DennisHarrahUM_I110106235250.jpg

Who? Some of you young fellers may not recognize the name, so I'll make it very simple.

1974 All American
6 time Pro Bowler
7 time NFL All Pro
11th overall pick in the first round
UM Iron Arrow Inductee
Member of the All-Time Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams team
1989 Inductee to the UM Hall of Fame

This guy's nickname was Hercules and for a good reason. He was athletic, versatile, and dominant. He was an All American as a tackle and a Pro Bowler as a guard. He paved the way for Eric ****erson in his prime as a Ram and retired as one of the greatest linemen ever, and no one will be surprised when Canton comes calling.

Could I have potentially taken him later on? Yes. But with Otto, Searcy, and McKinnie off the board, elite offensive linemen are going to become scarce soon at a position where we're going to need to draft 30 guys between us. Harrah gives me the elite anchor I need.

Advertisement
Back