All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

****, D, took Kelly, who was going to be my first pick. Honestly, if QB is the most important position in football, why not take the most gifted one( and perhaps the best we've ever had and IMO, the most important player in this programs history)

Ok, so moving forward, I will take Ray Lewis to anchor my defense up the middle

While that is a wise selection, Ray, or any other LB for that matter, wouldn't be effective without some prime beef up front. If Jerome Brown is still on the board after the first round, I declare all of you participants to be unworthy of even an inconsequential mock draft. Blasphemous i say.
In fairness to my esteemed colleague K9, anytime you have the chance to draft the best defensive player in the history of football, you take him. That he's also the best leader in the history of football just makes it easier.

With all due respect, if you are talking about UM Football(and forgive me if we're not), JB is the BEST defensive player and BEST leader whilst wearing a UM uni. Ray would assume those titles in the NFL. I'd even say that while playing for UM,Hendricks, Reed and Dan Morgan were more impactful and one could make a case for Sean Taylor, Russel Maryland and Don Latimer as well.

With all due respect, you didn't create the rules and Larry or someone already opened it up past a narrow definition of play at UM. Secondly, I'm not sure how you conclude that JB was clearly better at UM than Ted Hendricks. But I guess different opinions are what make life interesting.

Advertisement
****, D, took Kelly, who was going to be my first pick. Honestly, if QB is the most important position in football, why not take the most gifted one( and perhaps the best we've ever had and IMO, the most important player in this programs history)

Ok, so moving forward, I will take Ray Lewis to anchor my defense up the middle

While that is a wise selection, Ray, or any other LB for that matter, wouldn't be effective without some prime beef up front. If Jerome Brown is still on the board after the first round, I declare all of you participants to be unworthy of even an inconsequential mock draft. Blasphemous i say.
In fairness to my esteemed colleague K9, anytime you have the chance to draft the best defensive player in the history of football, you take him. That he's also the best leader in the history of football just makes it easier.

With all due respect, if you are talking about UM Football(and forgive me if we're not), JB is the BEST defensive player and BEST leader whilst wearing a UM uni. Ray would assume those titles in the NFL. I'd even say that while playing for UM,Hendricks, Reed and Dan Morgan were more impactful and one could make a case for Sean Taylor, Russel Maryland and Don Latimer as well.

Therein lies the issue that needs to be clarified in this debate. It needs to be settled whether we're talking about college career or total career (college and pros).
It's not going to be clarified. Larry already defined it as open. So be it. Makes for more interesting discussion.

I don't think commentators should provide lists and commentary on players before they're selected. It skews this process and the "competition" aspect.

Agreed.

I emailed my pick to larry but he hasn't put it up, by the way. It actually was Jerome Brown, so this discussion is harmless.

First round pick to Tano: Jerome Brown.

31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright guys, just got home, everything is updated...

And I love discussing these players and the picks, but lets not mention players that haven't been taken yet. I think all of the GMs in this draft have extensive historical knowledge of the Miami Hurricanes football program, but sometimes, guys slip to the glee of other owners, so, let's not put names out on front street that haven't been selected.

If you want to mention that Player A isn't as good at UM or in the pros as Player B, that's fine, just don't mention player B's name. Pretty simple.

Also, RE: what matters when evaluating a player? Anything you want...that is where the discussion of a player comes in and how a GM assembled their teams. If they want a collegiate productive squad, go ahead. If they want a pro productive squad, go ahead. You all will be able to vote on the teams you like the most after this thing is over.

Advertisement
Agreed.

I emailed my pick to larry but he hasn't put it up, by the way. It actually was Jerome Brown, so this discussion is harmless.

See, now that's how ya start a foundation. Selecting the biggest, baddest,most talented player, unequivocal leader. In a room of all time UM greats, they would stop in silence when JB spoke up. Bravo to Tano. The rest of this exercise is moot. You have won.

Agreed.

See, now that's how ya start a foundation. Selecting the biggest, baddest,most talented player, unequivocal leader. In a room of all time UM greats, they would stop in silence when JB spoke up. Bravo to Tano. The rest of this exercise is moot. You have won.

The first non-Pro Football Hall of Famer (or future Hall of Famer) taken, however.

Last edited:
Agreed.

The first non-Pro Football Hall of Famer (or future Hall of Famer) taken, however.

I can think of another guy who's going to go very high who has a similar situation, and I don't think anyone would argue against him being one of the all-time greats...

I can't believe Jerome Brown almost fell to me at #5. That would have been absurd. I was about to trade a future born son to Tano for the move up. One ****ed up thing is that I've done one of these drafts WITH Tano before, so the guy's gonna be a pain in my balls at one pick ahead of me every other round.

Anyway, with the #5 pick in the draft, and taking into account many considerations (notably, Sir Larry's approach as it relates to my team's strategy) and an inclination on college dominance, the selection is another non-Pro Football Hall of Famer, but the second most valuable player in a draft of All-time Hurricanes:

Left Tackle, Bryant Mckinnie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZi18GriRD0

Advertisement
Now that you've selected him, I was agonizing over McKinnie or Brown. Frankly I can't believe either one fell, but needless to say I'm glad they did.

LOL @ Lu, yeah I remember us going over picks when we did the canestime mock, I was going after everyone's ear for advice. I was texting LT36 at one point to get his input on who to select. And in that draft, I took Jerome with my first pick too. :D

With my first pick in the 1st Annual All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft...Larry selects...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QW9P44ghw

The Greatest Safety to ever play the game...University of Miami Hall of Famer, National Champion, All-American, NFL All-Decade Team, 8x Pro Bowler, 8x All-Pro, 2004 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, surefire First Ballot Hall of Famer into the Pro Football Hall of Fame...Miami's All-Time leader in interceptions...

Ed Reed (1998-2001)

1ed-reed-miami-hurricanes-2d3d1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_f1GzmwHo

Last edited:
Advertisement
Larry went with two of the Canes that set the tone and are cultural players. Basically, he picked two icons on both sides of the ball.

Larry went with two of the Canes that set the tone and are cultural players. Basically, he picked two icons on both sides of the ball.

They also happen to be truly great football players...winners, dominant on the field, leaders at every single level they've played on.

They wouldn't have lasted long, but they are both at "fairly" deep positions, so you gotta question draft value here. :P

Advertisement
I'm just gonna go ahead and keep building a team that let's their play do all the talking.

With the 8th pick and my 2nd round selection, I'm going with a guy who was equally dominant in the Pros (8x Pro Bowler, '92 defensive player of the year, NFL Hall of Fame) as he was in college (All-American, #3 Overall pick).

LET THE DOUBLE AND TRIPLE TEAMS ENSUE:

NT/DT, Cortez Kennedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY3rsGYU868&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLA4134C734D4B175E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cznq_MjW_n8

They wouldn't have lasted long, but they are both at "fairly" deep positions, so you gotta question draft value here. :P

Certainly a fair point...however, they are the alpha at each position, and I think #2 is a bit down the list, despite being great in their own right. I figure, of all people, you'd know if Irvin made it to my pick, I'd take him.

Double and triple teaming one man is a novel concept. But what do you do when you've got two elite players on the interior of the line? Can't afford to double and triple anyone at that point, can you?

Now you may see where I'm going with this. With the 9th overall pick in the draft, I select

WARREN SAPP, DEFENSIVE TACKLE

[video=youtube;TYALJQOPdTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYALJQOPdTI[/video]

This man got Heisman votes as a defensive tackle. Heisman votes! He finished sixth in Heisman voting in 1994. Just a dominant force on the interior of that defense, and went on to a Hall of Fame NFL career too. The combination of Brown and Sapp should wreak havoc on opponents' backfields. Though I was concerned about the idea of both players being similar three technique guys and not known as space eaters, they both played at or above the 300 lb mark, so I'm not too concerned, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have two dominant defensive tackles before they started coming off the board. To be honest, I believe both guys are big and strong enough to take up space and be versatile. In fact, Sapp spent a great deal of the tail end of his career in a 3-4, where he played some nose, so he's not completely devoid of ability to draw the double.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised that was your pick. I like it, Tano. It takes the direction of your team toward a different place I thought it'd go, but I like it. My only concern between those two is that they're not necessarily complementary DTs.

I actually considered a Tez/Sapp combo, but when Mckinnie fell, I couldn't pass up the relative (to his peers) value.

These next two rounds will be really interesting.

Advertisement
Back