All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

I still see a stud LB out there...

Ethnic and I talked about him on day 2 of the draft. Suffice to say I think there's a reason he hasn't been taken yet, but I'm sure everyone knows who he is.

Going with a surprise pick here. Moving Chris Myers back out to guard and inserting Ian Sinclair at center. He was the center on the 1983 national team and actually spent 11 years playing professional football in Canada, where he won a couple Grey Cups and ended up being inducted into the BC Lions Wall of Fame. He's got good size at 6'4".

Advertisement
Okay, with his next pick, Sands takes another 'Forgotten Man.' A LB who had a fantastic pro career, playing 11 years at MLB for the Raiders in the AFL and NFL, being named to the All-Time AFL team, and being a serial All-Pro. He was the 15th pick in the '64 AFL draft (and 70th pick that year in the NFL draft). He's up there with Armstead, and trailing only Lewis and Hendricks, as far as pro LBs from UM. Maybe Beason gets there. But this guy was a great pro, and can play LB on my squad. Sands selects Dan Conners.

Ethnic and I talked about him on day 2 of the draft. Suffice to say I think there's a reason he hasn't been taken yet, but I'm sure everyone knows who he is.

Going with a surprise pick here. Moving Chris Myers back out to guard and inserting Ian Sinclair at center. He was the center on the 1983 national team and actually spent 11 years playing professional football in Canada, where he won a couple Grey Cups and ended up being inducted into the BC Lions Wall of Fame. He's got good size at 6'4".

I talked to Ethnic about him the other day if it's the same guy. I'll be curious to hear why he's lasted so long when the times comes because it certainly wasn't his play while at Miami.

I talked to Ethnic about him the other day if it's the same guy. I'll be curious to hear why he's lasted so long when the times comes because it certainly wasn't his play while at Miami.

I wasn't thinking of Connors, fyi. It was another one.

Advertisement
How do you guys factor in time periods to this discussion? Is it based on a players career (college/pro) and how they compared in their era? Or is it literally head to head?

In that scenario many of the older generation guys would seemingly be outmatched physically by the modern era of players

My next pick is one of the most underrated linebackers in Miami history. A tremendous athlete who played safety and WR in high school, he excelled early in his career on special teams. At linebacker, he guessed more than any Cane since Webster. But, like Webster, he usually guessed right. Few players have had a knack for getting skinny through gaps like McCarthy. Due to his intensity, speed and skin color, he has often been compared to another LB in my crew- a fellow transplanted Pennsylvania kid named Dan Morgan. He wore #44 at Miami and #52 in the pros.

Despite not starting until the ninth week with the Tennessee Titans, he registered 78 tackles, 8 TFLs, multiple turnovers and AFC Player of the Week award. Some people were already calling him the best player on their defense. On this all-time defense, he will feast in front of a massive front four.

Colin McCarthy, Miami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR3nf4-ikFA

Last edited:
With my next pick, I'd like to lock up my corner back trio with a Third-team All-American who could tackle, cover and make plays on the ball. He's a nickel corner at heart, and that will be his role on this defense with Antrel Rolle and Phillip Buchanon:

Brandon Harris, CB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vibuwo4_a0g

Last edited:
Advertisement
How do you guys factor in time periods to this discussion? Is it based on a players career (college/pro) and how they compared in their era? Or is it literally head to head?

In that scenario many of the older generation guys would seemingly be outmatched physically by the modern era of players

There's no answer. Everyone can decide for themselves. In my case, I've focused on guys I've personally seen or, in the case of guys who played before I watched them, guys who had very strong NFL careers. I've also factored in size-weight issues. But you have to have some allowance for modern training, too. Eddie Edwards, who I took at DE, was 6-5, 260 back in the '70s. He's easily big enough to be a 3-4 DE with modern S&C, and clearly quick enough to be a 4-3 DE. Just as an example.

Some guys took WRs or CBs who played long ago. I had a bit more trouble with that, as I couldn't visualize the match-up. But to each their own. That's what makes for a debate.

I think you have to factor in eras. I think most modern guys would dominate many of these old school guys just on athleticism alone. It's more fair, at least to me anyhow, to pick dudes based on how well they did in the era that they played.

Advertisement
The size/weight thing is something that is tough to gauge, especially since we're talking about a 60 year period.

D$ money with some strong moves late in the game. Both solid picks. I think you hit the nail on the head with both those descriptions as well. Good stuff man.

Advertisement

There's no answer. Everyone can decide for themselves. In my case, I've focused on guys I've personally seen or, in the case of guys who played before I watched them, guys who had very strong NFL careers. I've also factored in size-weight issues. But you have to have some allowance for modern training, too. Eddie Edwards, who I took at DE, was 6-5, 260 back in the '70s. He's easily big enough to be a 3-4 DE with modern S&C, and clearly quick enough to be a 4-3 DE. Just as an example.

Some guys took WRs or CBs who played long ago. I had a bit more trouble with that, as I couldn't visualize the match-up. But to each their own. That's what makes for a debate.

I think the best example on your squad is Gary Dunn. Massive nose tackle for his era, but he weight 260 or 270...but with modern S&C? Who knows. I guess I look more at the player's frame than anything else. Sinclair was 6'4" but only about 270....modern S&C? There's no telling.

I think the only guy I've drafted who doesn't fit that mold is Chick, but that dude was just a football player.

Pound for pound, the backfield of McGuire plus X is one of the toughest tandems we've ever had back there.

The size/weight thing is something that is tough to gauge, especially since we're talking about a 60 year period.

As well as speed. Even more than the size, speed was my first thought. As ESF pointed, tough to visualize some of the old timers covering an Andre Johnson.

Then again, tough for anyone to cover that guy.

Advertisement
Back