All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

Second pick...

Two-Time All-American...pure nose tackle..."have you ever run into a stump with a car...it ruins the car!"...if they kept sack records, he would hold the Miami record in sacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Psf-rxZmoY

1.jpeg

Tony Cristiani

Advertisement

First pick...

I do believe this man still holds the Miami record for most tackles by a cornerback for both career and single season...Consensus and Unanimous choice for All-American his senior year...I am not sure why there were so many corners that went ahead of this man...

This man is...

71.jpg

Tom Beier

esf, when you asked me who I thought was best DB remaining a couple hours ago, this was the guy I had in mind.

I'll tell you what, my DT's will NOT get the pub that say...Tano or D$ or Lu...but, while AT MIAMI, there weren't a more productive, active group of DTs than Lester Williams, Rubin Carter, and Tony Cristiani...4 All-American nods between them...own all of the production records from the DT/MG position like tackles and sacks...they'll get overlooked because they were "undersized" (Williams was like 280, Carter 260, and Cristiani like 215) but those boys were ox strong, active as ****, and natural *** whoopers that disrupted offenses from the interior.

First pick...

I do believe this man still holds the Miami record for most tackles by a cornerback for both career and single season...Consensus and Unanimous choice for All-American his senior year...I am not sure why there were so many corners that went ahead of this man...

This man is...

71.jpg

Tom Beier
esf, when you asked me who I thought was best DB remaining a couple hours ago, this was the guy I had in mind.

I'm slightly ruing my going with a fifth DB over a need because Lu took one of my guys. But I'm comfortable with two legit productive NFL CBs, and each of my safeties can cover or play the ball as well.

I couldn't take Beier anyhow because the game's changed too much at CB and he didn't have much of a pro career at all (2 years, 2 ints). I think he actually played S in the pros, also. Anyhow, I get the historical factor but couldn't assess him. JMO.

I'll tell you what, my DT's will NOT get the pub that say...Tano or D$ or Lu...but, while AT MIAMI, there weren't a more productive, active group of DTs than Lester Williams, Rubin Carter, and Tony Cristiani...4 All-American nods between them...own all of the production records from the DT/MG position like tackles and sacks...they'll get overlooked because they were "undersized" (Williams was like 280, Carter 260, and Cristiani like 215) but those boys were ox strong, active as ****, and natural *** whoopers that disrupted offenses from the interior.

I thought about taking Cristiani but the 215 was what I couldn't figure out.

But I'll see your comments with my own. I went for NFL productivity in part at DT. I have two tackles who each anchored some of the best defenses in the history of football. Two guys with two Superbowl rings each. And I can line up a 4x SB champ and first-level HOFer next to them in Hendricks, and arguably the best pro DE ever to come out of Miami in Edwards, along with a first-team AA in D. Smith. I'm okay with that set of options at DL.

Advertisement
Need a ruling on whether Mike Rumph can play FS for me, since he played Safety in the pros. Considering we're letting Chris Myers play Center under the same logic, I don't see the problem, but I need that officially accepted before I can make my next pick.

I would say yes, but I have no authoritar!

Not nitpicking, Larry, but Lester Williams was anything but undersized -- especially for his era.

In comparison to the field, is what I was referencing. He was 6'3" 280 as a pro, played in the 270's at Miami. You got pair of 300+ pounders on some rosters.

There's a couple of corners that should have been taken ahead of a couple of guys already gone.

Agree. There's one who I think still holds the UM record for interceptions (13) by a UM CB. And there's another CB that isn't mentioned much but this guy was the goods in college, particularly his freshman year.

Advertisement
Guys are we finishing this up tonight? Im traveling tonight and will not be available for the rest of the week as I'll be in Macau

Advertisement
k9...we probably won't finish this thing today...probably tomorrow or Tuesday.

BUT...

Please send me a list, in order of importance, of your last couple of picks (make it slightly extensive) and I'll auto-pick for you based on your list...

We are a few picks from being done, so, it shouldn't be that tough.

I dunno how you guys are going to determine the winner. I went through every team on the list and they almost all sound unbeatable.

How f'ing weird is it that the south florida region produces more CBs than any area in the world, probably, but that's the one position (other than maybe OL) where we don't have a ton of all-stars? And even more interesting that, given that, half the teams in this competition still haven't filled their CB slots.

Game changing DT's is the first thing I look at, then the complete front seven. There are two teams that standout more than the others...

Also, the thing missing here IMO, is who would be the HC and the staffs. That also would make a difference.

I was half asleep when I made the pick. If Bailey is gone, I'm going to complete my dream of building a 3-4 DLine at Miami.

The guy that fits that bill is 6' 5" 270+ pound Shane Curry. Former 2nd round pick whose career was cut short when he was shot and killed at only 24 years old.

3-4 DE, Shane Curry

1784364-oct-1988-shane-curry-of-the-miami-hurricanes-gettyimages.jpg

Advertisement
The creation of a hybrid 3-4 w/ All-Timers at the University of Miami:

DE/Rush - Kenny Holmes. Big enough to play DE in a 3-4 in college, but more of an edge guy. Former 1st rounder and NFL guy's versatility fits with the 3-4.
DE/SSDE - Shane Curry. Massive DE for his time. At 6' 5" 270, had the frame and ability to play the 3-4. In fact, in his brief stint for Indy before he was shot and killed, they had him slated as a 3-4 DE.
Nose Tackle: Cortez Kennedy. Massive. The key to everything. Basically, one of the few guys in Miami's history capable of being a true 2-gap Nose Tackle who can control the middle of the field. With all the amazing one gappers in our history, Tez's versatility is what allowed this fantasy defense to happen.
Strong Side Defensive End. Don Latimer. Set the UM record with 15 sacks as a senior. Can play inside, but was more of a tweener who fits perfectly in the classic "Richard Seymour" position.
OLB/Rush End - Rusty Medearis. 6' 3" 255. Pure edge guy. 5.5 sacks in a single game? Had it not been for injury, Rusty could have been one of the top 3 DEs ever here.
OLB - Winston Moss. At 6' 3" 245, his size fits with the plan here. In fact, all LBs are the types that fit well with the classic 3-4.
ILB - Mike Barrow. The middle leader. At 6' 1" 240+, this animal will clean up what's left to him by the 2 gappers in front of him.
ILB - Bernard "Tiger" Clark. Another guy big enough to play in the 3-4. 6' 2" 250. What sets these guys apart from some of the other great UM LBs is their size, which let's them play in this system.
CB - Duane Starks. Top 4 Cover guy ever at UM.
CB - Mike Rumph. One of the better boundary corners ever at UM. 6' 2" 205 guy who fits that bigger Corner spot you see in some of the NFL 3-4 teams.
S - CJ Richardson. All American and bigtime hitter.
S -
Nickel Corner - Sam Shields. Speed and quickness to play inside on the slot and the size/athleticism to play the field corner.

Last edited:
I got Tano at this point based on the latest updated team page.

Aside from the players that obviously slipped that he picked...JB and Sapp in the interior? Good luck doing anything as an offense if ur honest wit urselves...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back