All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

After you guys were done drafting I thought about putting together a free agent team, and Sam Shields would've been my first corner. Nice pickup, Lu.

A compliment from the defense guru of all Canes boards is appreciated.

The pick was as much strategic - to avoid D$ taking a flyer on him and telling him **** you for picking up B-Merriweather - as it was anything else.

Advertisement
With his next pick, Sands selects John Swain, another guy who played in the '70s and early '80s; a solid 6'1" corner who went in the fourth round of the draft and had a good 8 year NFL career. I like that he's tall and can match up with bigger receivers, and is a legit pro. He's also versatile enough to play nickel and safety. With ST and D-Dub behind him and Lippett, I like my defensive backfield.

With his next pick, Sands selects John Swain, another guy who played in the '70s and early '80s; a solid 6'1" corner who went in the fourth round of the draft and had a good 8 year NFL career. I like that he's tall and can match up with bigger receivers, and is a legit pro. He's also versatile enough to play nickel and safety. With ST and D-Dub behind him and Lippett, I like my defensive backfield.

Another FA off the board. JSwain is a good boundary corner for your secondary. That safety tandem is sweet. And with DWilliams actually starting out as a corner he has the athleticism and skills to matchup man to man against any three receiver formations.

Another FA off the board. JSwain is a good boundary corner for your secondary. That safety tandem is sweet. And with DWilliams actually starting out as a corner he has the athleticism and skills to matchup man to man against any three receiver formations.

Yup. Love that about him back there.

I believe Im up next, and before I head out to cover the fights, I'm going to grab my second corner, Robert Bailey, who was a rugged, physical player( who can forget his Cotton Bowl) and played behind a lot of talent during the early part of his UM career. He ended up having a very, long NFL run

Advertisement
I believe Im up next, and before I head out to cover the fights, I'm going to grab my second corner, Robert Bailey, who was a rugged, physical player( who can forget his Cotton Bowl) and played behind a lot of talent during the early part of his UM career. He ended up having a very, long NFL run

Right under my nose. He played forever. Works with Drew now.

I'm going with two great athletes that could thrive with Kelly's arm strength. First, UM track HOFer and backflip champ Horace Copeland. Second, the fastest TE in Miami history and a playmaker since he got away from KW, Greg Olsen.

Ok, Im up again, and this guy is a dangerous all-purpose guy who can play inside slot WR and a dangerous returner- Kevin 'the Jet' Williams

Advertisement
Yep, Round 19. We have the first double pick error of the draft! Must be getting late.

Advertisement
There's a couple of corners that should have been taken ahead of a couple of guys already gone.

Advertisement
Thrill > Wes Carroll IMO, but I like Wes Carroll. Still some really excellent players left.

I did a quick look again at the rosters, and D$ is right there as well. He's got a very well-balanced team offensively and defensively. We'll see if guys get sloppy here near the end.

Okay, sorry for the wait, had to put the kid to bed.

I've struggled on this pick in terms of positions and different directions to go in. I'm going draft strategy. Sands selects Earl Little as his extra DB. Little had a very solid 8 year NFL career, racking up 27 ints as a S. With Little's ability to play the ball and D-Dub's ability to cover, I'm comfortable my secondary is flexible enough to handle multiple receiver sets.

Advertisement
Back