All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

Larry Rakoczy wasn't a reach.

There are some better players at other positions still available...wasn't a reach due to necessity, as, OL is becoming few and far between, but there are simply better players out there than Rakoczy, who was a **** good player. I actually think he would have been the type of OL that would have fit in well at C for a team like Lu, who is going big on the OL.

He was going to be my pick over Medearis. True story.

Advertisement
Larry Rakoczy wasn't a reach.

There are some better players at other positions still available...wasn't a reach due to necessity, as, OL is becoming few and far between, but there are simply better players out there than Rakoczy, who was a **** good player. I actually think he would have been the type of OL that would have fit in well at C for a team like Lu, who is going big on the OL.

Agree but in this draft that was an excellent pick.

He put up great numbers at the Combine and was universally considered a "heady, high motor" guy. He was rewarded for those qualities/attributes. But, because he never produced eye-popping stats to match on any level, I think he slipped in this draft. He was the among the 4 guys I considered when it came time to pick a DE (in my last round). I didn't go with him because others of similar athleticism and frames produced more and were also 1st rounders. I'm just giving my perception of him.

Well, your perception isn't in line with the NFL, Jimmy Johnson, the UM HOF, and the Lombardi voting committee! I guess what I'm getting at, is I'm a fan. He was a great Hurricane and a great value pick in this draft, IMHO.

Actually, my perception is perfectly in line with Jimmy Johnson's. He thought of him as a grinder and a consistent guy.

That's your interpretation. I see "the MOST consistent lineman I ever coached" as a lot more than a "grinder." Do you have a link to that quote or is that from you?

I've read it before, but obviously Tano read something similar. He wrote something about JJ talking about Hawkins being a "consistent" guy. Combine that with his fairly even career trajectory...

No. He didn't write "something about him being a consistent guy."

He accurately quoted JJ as saying Hawkins was "the MOST consistent lineman I ever coached."

Tremendous difference and that's the 4th time or so it's been posted in this thread. You're more than entitled to your opinion. It's certainly a subjective subject. But your opinion differs from Jimmy Johnson, the UM HOF, and the NFL draft where he was picked in the middle of the very first round.

Well, your perception isn't in line with the NFL, Jimmy Johnson, the UM HOF, and the Lombardi voting committee! I guess what I'm getting at, is I'm a fan. He was a great Hurricane and a great value pick in this draft, IMHO.

Actually, my perception is perfectly in line with Jimmy Johnson's. He thought of him as a grinder and a consistent guy.

That's your interpretation. I see "the MOST consistent lineman I ever coached" as a lot more than a "grinder." Do you have a link to that quote or is that from you?

I've read it before, but obviously Tano read something similar. He wrote something about JJ talking about Hawkins being a "consistent" guy. Combine that with his fairly even career trajectory...

No. He didn't write "something about him being a consistent guy."

He accurately quoted JJ as saying Hawkins was "the MOST consistent lineman I ever coached."

Tremendous difference and that's the 4th time or so it's been posted in this thread. You're more than entitled to your opinion. It's certainly a subjective subject. But your opinion differs from Jimmy Johnson, the UM HOF, and the NFL draft where he was picked in the middle of the very first round.

If I'm looking at compliments by a coach, I'm taking "he's the MOST consistent lineman I ever coached" to mean something closer to "he's a really hard worker, technician, high-motor guy" than "holy impact player." It also fits his description as an intelligent, "do the right things" guy. Despite some really good physical attributes, he was never considered a physical freak or a dominant gamechanger. When I look at his actual production/statistics, it's easier to stand by my perception.

I'm not sure how it turned into something negative about Hawkins. He's just a "type" of player. The funny thing is I immediately told Tano it was a good pick and great value. Please don't derail this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
pretty sure I know who you're talking about but I think there's a very good reason why he hasn't been picked.

There's still a 1st Team All-American out there at a premium position. Cmon boys.

There are quite a few All-Americans still available in this draft.

Not in the trenches there's not and not 1st team all-American in the trenches there's not.

That's who this guy is. He's been blacklisted by you guys!!!!

There are actually quite a few All-Americans "in the trenches" still available as well.

Okay, sorry, I'm back on-line.

Sands selects Sherko Haji-Rasouli. This is a strategic pick of sorts. There are some guys I'd have liked to have grabbed. But I couldn't pass up the chance to nail the best remaining OL, and a true inside mauler. With all due respect to my esteemed colleagues who went for tackles on the OL, the strength of UM's defenses has been inside linemen. Outside pressure is less the risk then collapse up front. I like having a HOF center and a tough hombre like Sherko next to him. Hence I'm passing over some guys that Tano will snatch up ungratefully.

Advertisement
Ok, I wanna make sure I fortify my front- Im taking Jimmie Jones at Dtackle. Yeah, he didn't even start as a senior, but he was beaten out by Cortez Kennedy( who had a monster 89). But Jones would've started at any other program and was part of an incredible three man rotation at tackle with Tez and Maryland.

Jones was still a 3rd rd pick and enjoyed a nice, long NFL career where he won Super Bowls.

I was down to him or William Joseph, but honestly, I thought Jones was the better player

Sands selects Sherko Haji-Rasouli. This is a strategic pick of sorts. There are some guys I'd have liked to have grabbed. But I couldn't pass up the chance to nail the best remaining OL, and a true inside mauler. With all due respect to my esteemed colleagues who went for tackles on the OL, the strength of UM's defenses has been inside linemen. Outside pressure is less the risk then collapse up front. I like having a HOF center and a tough hombre like Sherko next to him. Hence I'm passing over some guys that Tano will snatch up ungratefully.

Sherko? Seriously?

Ok, I wanna make sure I fortify my front- Im taking Jimmie Jones at Dtackle. Yeah, he didn't even start as a senior, but he was beaten out by Cortez Kennedy( who had a monster 89). But Jones would've started at any other program and was part of an incredible three man rotation at tackle with Tez and Maryland.

Jones was still a 3rd rd pick and enjoyed a nice, long NFL career where he won Super Bowls.

I was down to him or William Joseph, but honestly, I thought Jones was the better player

Good pick. Thought I'd be able to get Jones later. Shoulda known better.

Sherko? Seriously?

Miami's OL alum isn't as strong as other positions...so, it takes a bit of strategy and maybe "overdrafting" to fill the need.

Advertisement
With my next pick, I'll fortify the middle of my OL with the All-American and Rimington Award winner from Canada, Brett Romberg. The thing that made Romberg so special was his quickness--- he could really move.

With my next pick, I'll fortify the middle of my OL with the All-American and Rimington Award winner from Canada, Brett Romberg. The thing that made Romberg so special was his quickness--- he could really move.

A steal at this point in the draft, IMO.

D$ said his tapatalk was messing up, but Romberg and Kevin ***an are his picks.

Advertisement
Ok, I need a center, and Romberg was going to be my guy, so Im going with the next, last available guy, who IMO is one of the most underrated players ever in UM history, Bobby Garcia, who was a mainstay in the late 80's on some great teams. Not big, but small and quick. I still remember his big fumble recovery vs Notre Dame in 89 that was part of 'the Drive'

Nice picks. I think wush may have been referring to romburg when he was mentioning AAs earlier.

With his next pick, Sands selects Don Smith, a First-Team All-American DT/NG and winner of the Jack Harding Memorial Award as the MVP of the Canes, who went on to have a very solid ten year NFL career at NG/DT/DE.

Advertisement
Back