All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

Advertisement
And if Tano doesn't take him, then Larry should. They've already passed on him for much less heralded players at a key position.

Advertisement
Alright alright I'm here. I'm struggling with this one but I'm doing the little write-up.

I really struggled with this pick. I didn't value safety as high as some of you guys did obviously, but I am one of only two teams with only one DB. So with that in mind, I'm going to go safety here, and of the guys left, one guy stood out to me. The guy was all ACC twice, All American twice, a first round draft pick, and a starter in the NFL for the Super Bowl Champion Giants.

He doesn't get as much respect as some of the greats but he's every bit as talented. 6'2", 210, runs like a deer, and was a very solid tackler. In 2007 spent a LOT of time in the box and showed his versatility. Can play either safety spot. No, he wasn't Sean Taylor. But then again, no one is. There were some other guys I considered but in the end, I have a need here I can't ignore. So this pick may end up costing me some more premier players at other positions, but at the end of the day, I'm taking a guy who was an All American two out of his three years on campus. Can't really beat that.

I select KENNY PHILLIPS, SAFETY

[video=youtube;9kcFea5fnyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kcFea5fnyg[/video]

[video=youtube;weMfd206_hQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weMfd206_hQ[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Had my eye on KP as well. His first couple years with the Giants they called him Superman because of his range. Even with his knee injuries, Witten told he Giants DB coach they don't even test him deep. Also a good open field tackler.

Truth be told if the draft was moving in the other direction (from Dmoney down) I wouldn't have made the pick because I don't think he was necessarily on Lu's radar and Lawrence already has two safeties...but Dmoney has none and k9 has one spot open so it was a mathematical solution for me.

Oh I get it, now that I make my pick is when ya'll disappear. When motherfluck ya'll anyway.

[video=youtube;vzp1rxGz4TY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzp1rxGz4TY[/video]

This play epitomizes the 2001 team for me. Vilma knocks a guy out and two people beat Ed Reed (!) to the ball.

Advertisement
I think he slipped because he never put up any crazy numbers and was more of a "steady" guy. I think Jimmy Johnson called him "a guy that won with consistency" or something like that. I thought about him last round and the round before, but that always stuck out in my mind.

Good pick either way. Solid value.

He sure didn't slip in the NFL draft or UMHOF voting!

He put up great numbers at the Combine and was universally considered a "heady, high motor" guy. He was rewarded for those qualities/attributes. But, because he never produced eye-popping stats to match on any level, I think he slipped in this draft. He was the among the 4 guys I considered when it came time to pick a DE (in my last round). I didn't go with him because others of similar athleticism and frames produced more and were also 1st rounders. I'm just giving my perception of him.

Well, your perception isn't in line with the NFL, Jimmy Johnson, the UM HOF, and the Lombardi voting committee! I guess what I'm getting at, is I'm a fan. He was a great Hurricane and a great value pick in this draft, IMHO.

Actually, my perception is perfectly in line with Jimmy Johnson's. He thought of him as a grinder and a consistent guy.

That's your interpretation. I see "the MOST consistent lineman I ever coached" as a lot more than a "grinder." Do you have a link to that quote or is that from you?

I had planned to hold up on this move for another round or two, but I don't want to miss out on this guy, as I think he's very much slept on.

I'm going with a 4x ALL-PRO, Rookie of the Year, former 1st rounder (12th overall), and a guy who led the entire NFL in receptions from the Running Back position. Check out his highlights. He's one of the better athletes to ever play at UM. He played RB, DB, and WR.

RB, Chuck Foreman

54.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFBN5aUMVLU&feature=related

Nice pick

Advertisement
Larry Rakoczy wasn't a reach.

There are some better players at other positions still available...wasn't a reach due to necessity, as, OL is becoming few and far between, but there are simply better players out there than Rakoczy, who was a **** good player. I actually think he would have been the type of OL that would have fit in well at C for a team like Lu, who is going big on the OL.

He sure didn't slip in the NFL draft or UMHOF voting!

He put up great numbers at the Combine and was universally considered a "heady, high motor" guy. He was rewarded for those qualities/attributes. But, because he never produced eye-popping stats to match on any level, I think he slipped in this draft. He was the among the 4 guys I considered when it came time to pick a DE (in my last round). I didn't go with him because others of similar athleticism and frames produced more and were also 1st rounders. I'm just giving my perception of him.

Well, your perception isn't in line with the NFL, Jimmy Johnson, the UM HOF, and the Lombardi voting committee! I guess what I'm getting at, is I'm a fan. He was a great Hurricane and a great value pick in this draft, IMHO.

Actually, my perception is perfectly in line with Jimmy Johnson's. He thought of him as a grinder and a consistent guy.

That's your interpretation. I see "the MOST consistent lineman I ever coached" as a lot more than a "grinder." Do you have a link to that quote or is that from you?

I've read it before, but obviously Tano read something similar. He wrote something about JJ talking about Hawkins being a "consistent" guy. Combine that with his fairly even career trajectory...

Advertisement
Back