All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

Advertisement
Ok, Im back on the clock, and with UM not having the deepest lot of OT's, since I already got Searcy early on, it's time to select his bookend, a guy who seemingly played for a decade at UM and was a guy who was part of the most successful and fun era of UM football and was as steady as can be- Mike Sullivan, who was very versatile in that he could play inside, also.

Sully was a tough, scrappy guy that was the classic Tony Wise-coached player, heady and versatile....
52.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
K9: great pick. He should have gone earlier so I think you got a great pickup. Loved watching that dude play. As solid as it gets.

Advertisement
Larry was wrong. There wasn't just one elite non QB HB left. I have absolutely no idea how this next pick slipped. I have been sweating it for 3 rounds now. Necessity for a DB kept my from taking him last round, and when Holmes went, I got really scared, but it's all worked out for the best.

If you would have told anyone that a UM Hall of Famer, a consensus All American, and a first round pick and NFL All-Rookie would have been left on the board in this late of a round, you would have been laughed out of the building. This man was a 3 year starter at UM, and a finalist for the Lombardi Award his senior season. Jimmy Johnson called this guy "the most consistent lineman he ever coached". He helped anchor one of the best defenses in UM history, and he did so alongside his new teammate, Jerome Brown. With that kind of chemistry, I simply can't resist making my next pick.

Tano selects...BILL HAWKINS, DEFENSIVE END

1.jpg

I think he slipped because he never put up any crazy numbers and was more of a "steady" guy. I think Jimmy Johnson called him "a guy that won with consistency" or something like that. I thought about him last round and the round before, but that always stuck out in my mind.

Good pick either way. Solid value.

He sure didn't slip in the NFL draft or UMHOF voting!

He put up great numbers at the Combine and was universally considered a "heady, high motor" guy. He was rewarded for those qualities/attributes. But, because he never produced eye-popping stats to match on any level, I think he slipped in this draft. He was the among the 4 guys I considered when it came time to pick a DE (in my last round). I didn't go with him because others of similar athleticism and frames produced more and were also 1st rounders. I'm just giving my perception of him.

Well, your perception isn't in line with the NFL, Jimmy Johnson, the UM HOF, and the Lombardi voting committee! I guess what I'm getting at, is I'm a fan. He was a great Hurricane and a great value pick in this draft, IMHO.

Actually, my perception is perfectly in line with Jimmy Johnson's. He thought of him as a grinder and a consistent guy.

Last edited:
Love the Alonzo pick, D. Pound for pound, arguably one of - if not one of - the strongest to lace them up at UM

Kudos to K9. Another guy I was itchin to take.

With his next pick, Sands ... is torn. Multiple directions to go here. Yogi Berra said when you come to a cross-roads ... take it.

I would, but Tano will take the guy I want next one minute later. Very annoying. I suggest we give him a temporary lifetime ban.

Advertisement
How did McHeisman last? Best season ever at RB. Mr. Bailout. Weird science prototype.

There are a few guys who haven't been drafted that are mind-boggling.

You don't get it. You have to be strategic with such a specific talent pool. It's not about the player, it's about what's behind them at their position. It's why the QBs are all mostly still on the board.

I do get it. This isn't rocket science. It's akin to a fantasy draft in a way, and I do quite well in fantasy on an annual basis.

I like a lot of the picks so far. There's a point at which the guys you're picking really drop-off. CFB, more than the pros even, is a game of big plays. At a point when there's been a big drop-off on talent in the trenches or depth-poor postions, then you start looking at dynamic game-changers.

Anyhow, I was wondering when KC was going to go. Nice pick earlier.

Hes gonna get me back. I just know it. All the picks ive stolen from him...karma...

Advertisement
Okay, with his next pick, Sands surprises himself. This is not where I thought I was going to go. But I can't pass up the chance to take the best running back ever to come from UM at this point.

Sands selects Frank Gore. Gore's time at UM was marred by injuries. But, he showed what he could do as a frosh, and he is well on his way to becoming the all-time leading NFL rusher from the University of Miami. A 3X all-pro and NFL rushing champion, Gore is also the best RB ever to come out of Dade County. Had he not blown out both knees, he could legitimately be chasing Walter Payton and Emmit Smith right now. I accept his time at UM was limited by injuries. I also think he's the best running back ever from UM. I'm excited to take him, and apologize to the guys I meant to take. Tano will take you. Keep in touch.

I'd add -- I know I don't need to take Gore right now. I just think I ought to. Karma, like Tano says.

Advertisement
Tano, Tano...you can rip my heart out by ******* up the completion of my plan. I've set it up for this moment.

Advertisement
Back