All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

Ha. I knew D$ was gonna have to go in that direction soon. I'm tellin' ya, OT at the University of Miami is weak sauce...especially guys who played LT at a decent level. I can probably trade Orlando Franklin for a top skill position player in this type of draft. From what I see, there are only a few Tackles available, and meh when it comes to LTs.

Advertisement
Ok, Im up, and Im taking a guy who was great in college, didn't have a pro career but IMO, was one of the most athletic guys ever to play at UM- could play for Lombardi with the way he pulled- Richard Mercier. Yeah, not a **** pick, but I need to draft some guys upfront

Advertisement
How Franklin went before Winston is beyond me.

It was explained. I had two tackles (arguably 2 of the top 3 most dominant/talented Tackles ever at Miami) on board already and viewed Franklin as one of the guys who'd end up as someone's LT, except he's a player who can play inside or RT (and probably should have played inside here).

If that's still beyond you, then you seem to be missing the point of this particular game/exercise, as others are missing why certain star players are still on the board.

Ok, Im up, and Im taking a guy who was great in college, didn't have a pro career but IMO, was one of the most athletic guys ever to play at UM- could play for Lombardi with the way he pulled- Richard Mercier. Yeah, not a **** pick, but I need to draft some guys upfront

Hmmm, I would have gone with another guy at that same position, my Asian friend.

I know Lu loves bigO but I would have gone winston as well

Love the Mercier pick, niner. Was extremely tempted to hand that card in.

Advertisement

Good pick. You took him off my board.

Love the Mercier pick, niner. Was extremely tempted to hand that card in.

He and a few other guys (both at OL and other positions) are tempting to grab, but I feel weird when they busted almost completely in the NFL. As a pure college draft, Mercier is a superstar Guard. He stood out in his era.

It was explained. I had two tackles (arguably 2 of the top 3 most dominant/talented Tackles ever at Miami) on board already and viewed Franklin as one of the guys who'd end up as someone's LT, except he's a player who can play inside or RT (and probably should have played inside here).

If that's still beyond you, then you seem to be missing the point of this particular game/exercise, as others are missing why certain star players are still on the board.

SO you took Franklin so others couldn't take him at LT? Yes he can play inside but he could have been had much later for the guard position.

Hmmm, I would have gone with another guy at that same position, my Asian friend.

I know Lu loves bigO but I would have gone winston as well

It was less about BigO and more about numbers. With Mckinnie and Carey on board, and the remaining Tackles unable to be inside guys, BigO fit the strategy best. If Winston had ever played Guard here or would be a Guard in the Pros, he'd have been the selection. UMJer can attest we had that very specific convo before I picked.

Last edited:
Advertisement

SO you took Franklin so others couldn't take him at LT? Yes he can play inside but he could have been had much later for the guard position.

Absolutely. There will be teams on here now without someone who legitimately played LT in college or pros. It was a move against my opponents. Almost all 6 teams will have elite pass rushers, and only 1 team (maybe 2) will have an elite LT and only 3 (maybe 4) of the teams will have a star LT.

Plus, Franklin has always had the ability to be an elite guard. ****, he may be an elite blocking Tackle in the pros. So, it worked for me in 2 ways.

It wasn't random. There was a very specific strategy behind that selection. Anyone can see that there was a better Tackle on board (and actually, I'd say there is still a better LT on board), but there wasn't a better versatile guy who'd end up as someone's LT.

Last edited:
With his next pick, Sands nods towards the aggressive strategists on this board who are hoarding players perceived to have scarcity value, and sands selects OT Jason Fox. Fox started 47 games at RT and LT for Miami. I could stop there. He was extremely solid, and is a good pro. In my view he was every bit the LT that EW was, though he didn't have Winston's athletic potential in the eyes of the NFL. I'm comfortable with Fox protecting the blind-side here. And he was much, much better at UM than Orlando Franklin, even if he didn't look as good as Franklin in a wet t-shirt contest.

Advertisement
Nice pick, Sands. I would have gone another one in that position, but you make a good argument for Fox.

Left school as its 3rd ALL-TIME sack leader and was a 1st Rounder with an NFL career a bit more solid than some of the other edge guys that are alternatives. He also played the run (and his lane) better than some other elite UM edge guys. It was a close call with one guy in particular, but I think this guy is the more complete player.

A good fit within my team's current plan, as he's a complement to the guy's already on board and who I plan to be on board.

The pick has to be:

DE, Kenny Holmes

47.jpg

Advertisement
Back