All-Time Miami Hurricanes Draft - D$ selects Shakespeare/JL

How did McHeisman last? Best season ever at RB. Mr. Bailout. Weird science prototype.

There are a few guys who haven't been drafted that are mind-boggling.

You don't get it. You have to be strategic with such a specific talent pool. It's not about the player, it's about what's behind them at their position. It's why the QBs are all mostly still on the board.

Advertisement
How did McHeisman last? Best season ever at RB. Mr. Bailout. Weird science prototype.

There are a few guys who haven't been drafted that are mind-boggling.

Everything taken into consideration, McGahee isn't a Top 2 back in Miami history. James and Ottis Anderson, sir.

I struggled with McNeil vs. Rolle.

McNeil is actually a better cover guy. But Rolle its just a better football player. In fact, I consider him to be one of the best pure football players in Miami history. Against FSU in 2004, he played in the box and dominated the game. Then he went and held Larry Fitzgerald to the worst game of his college career. If the ball is in his hands as a returner or intercepter, he is a threat to score six.

Rolle is doing the same things in the pros. He started off as a corner, moved to safety, scored a bunch of TDs, got snaps on offense, and spent last season as a slot corner covering the likes of Wes Welker. Unique player.

And Buchanon is the best cover guy I've seen at Miami. Like Duane Starks but more dynamic. He can also split PR duties with Santana Moss.

I struggled with McNeil vs. Rolle.

McNeil is actually a better cover guy. But Rolle its just a better football player. In fact, I consider him to be one of the best pure football players in Miami history. Against FSU in 2004, he played in the box and dominated the game. Then he went and held Larry Fitzgerald to the worst game of his college career. If the ball is in his hands as a returner or intercepter, he is a threat to score six.

Rolle is doing the same things in the pros. He started off as a corner, moved to safety, scored a bunch of TDs, got snaps on offense, and spent last season as a slot corner covering the likes of Wes Welker. Unique player.

And Buchanon is the best cover guy I've seen at Miami. Like Duane Starks but more dynamic. He can also split PR duties with Santana Moss.

I think you nailed it with the combination, personally. They'd compliment each other well.

And yeah, Wush, we're not counting down the best players in Miami history. We're doing a legit draft with the idea that the teams would face off against one another. The quarterbacks are a good example. Yes, two have been selected, but we're only four teams, and there's obviously still 4 good QB's to be selected from, so you probably won't see a quarterback go again until the final rounds.

Advertisement
With his next pick, Sands selects the NFL All-Pro, two-time Superbowl Champion NG/DT Jim Burt. A guy Bill Parcells has said was as tough an SOB as he ever coached, Burt anchored the middle of the Giants D in the '80s, always creating problems for opposing OL.

I struggled with this pick because tactically, I think I could have gone a different direction here, but think Burt is the perfect guy to hold down the center of a line and wanted to take him off the board.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I really was torn and almost deleted my pick to go another way here.

There are a few guys who will be gone by the time I pick again. Burt probably wouldn't have. But I don't know that for sure, and getting an NFL all-pro to anchor the middle of my line was too important.

This is getting hard. There is someone I really wanted to take, that I should have taken, but I couldn't pass up the chance to solidify the center of my DL.

My next selection is a guy that is very unheralded and had a very solid career at UM and in the NFL with the Pats, Fred Marion. All the all-time great safeties have been selected, I think he is on top of that second-tier of Cane safeties

Advertisement
My next selection is a guy that is very unheralded and had a very solid career at UM and in the NFL with the Pats, Fred Marion. All the all-time great safeties have been selected, I think he is on top of that second-tier of Cane safeties
Great pick. He's not one of the top 4, but he's close enough.

I thought I might be able to sneak Fred Marion into my lineup. I should have known better. If there's one thing I've learned about this group, it's that you f'ers love Safeties. Safety is my favorite position, the one I played, and yet I still don't like or value Safeties as much as you guys.

Advertisement
I keep underestimating this group of guys...Don Latimer, Fred Marion...two guys I specifically looked at and said "I'll wait next round and get'em"...a theme of this draft, it seems...they aren't there.

I thought I might be able to sneak Fred Marion into my lineup. I should have known better. If there's one thing I've learned about this group, it's that you f'ers love Safeties. Safety is my favorite position, the one I played, and yet I still don't like or value Safeties as much as you guys.

In fairnes, Marion went in the right place. The top 4 safeties are just special players. Impact guys. Game changers. Like Deion was at CB.

It pains me to make these picks with so much talent on the board, but considering the scarcity at the position, I can't pass up a pair of All-American tackles.

With my first pick, I select Eric Winston. This is a guy whose college achievements are underrated. He was a first team all-American left tackle (second team AP) who was voted the ACC's best lineman by the league's coaches. In the NFL, he has emerged as one of the best RTs in the game.

With my second pick, I select Joaquin Gonzalez. Another All-American and a four-year starter, Gonzalez brings a tremendous IQ and leadership to the team. And when he says "dominate," you dominate.

Advertisement
Back