2025 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
The only problem is with this pitching staff, more balls are going to hit the track and parking garage than the catchers mitt.
I know this is flippant, but there is so much more to catcher defense than framing pitches. A guy who controls the run game is another obvious part, and blocking balls in the dirt etc.

But there is real value in a defensive catcher who can truly be in charge of infield communication, handling pitchers in situations, and generally being a leader of the team.

If there is one place I want an elite defensive player, it's catcher. We are so far away from being able to quantify the overall value with analytics etc. that it doesn't get the impact it deserves (in my humble view).

We all see the game the way we want to see the game and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about their stance. I'm just offering color on the impact a player can have that appears a bit lighter with the bat than his predecessor.

If I wagered, I'd put money on him having a bigger impact on winning than Scanlon did last year.

I trusted my catchers more than most. I let them call the game just giving input as I saw fit, I expected them to block and control the run game like you said Lance. I also told them I only get so many visits to that mound per game so I need you to know how to push each pitchers buttons as well as tell me when they are starting to lose it. Even if they seemed in complete control. They are the ones receiving the arms for months so they know when the velo is ticking down a bit or stuff isnt biting quite as hard.

If this kid can do that at an all American level and just give us a solid bat that would be huge.

I trusted my catchers more than most. I let them call the game just giving input as I saw fit, I expected them to block and control the run game like you said Lance. I also told them I only get so many visits to that mound per game so I need you to know how to push each pitchers buttons as well as tell me when they are starting to lose it. Even if they seemed in complete control. They are the ones receiving the arms for months so they know when the velo is ticking down a bit or stuff isnt biting quite as hard.

If this kid can do that at an all American level and just give us a solid bat that would be huge.
Catchers have less pull/say in today’s game than they have in 20+ years. Everything is communicated into them from the dugout. Teams run less as well.

Give me a great hitting/serviceable defense over great defense/serviceable bay every single time.

Apparent roster
C Tanner Smith
C Evan Tavares
C Nolan Johnson
1B Jake Ogden
1B/OF Renzo Gonzalez
2B Dorian Gonzalez
SS Adrian Areizaga
SS Amaury De Jesus
SS Brandon Di Goti
3B Daniel Cuvet
3B Ethan Puig
OF Derek Williams
OF Bobby Marsh
OF Max Galvin
OF/RHP Todd Hudson
OF Jake Kulikowski
OF Edgardo Villegas
OF Gaby Gutierrez
OF Fabio Peralta
OF Michael Torres
OF Elijah Hurt
OF Alex Kuenzle
RHP Brian Walters
RHP Jordan Vargas
RHP Alex Stanyek
RHP Nick Robert
RHP Brandon Olivera
RHP Jackson Cleveland
RHP Will Smith
RHP Griffin Hugus
RHP Carson Fisher
RHP Reese Lumpkin
RHP Alex Giroux
RHP Lazaro Collera
RHP Tate DeRias
RHP James Kleivan
RHP AJ Ciscar
RHP Mekai Griffin
LHP Robert Evans
LHP Jake Dorn
LHP Ryan Ashford
LHP Michael Fernandez

Advertisement
Apparent roster
C Tanner Smith
C Evan Tavares
C Nolan Johnson
1B Jake Ogden
1B/OF Renzo Gonzalez
2B Dorian Gonzalez
SS Adrian Areizaga
SS Amaury De Jesus
SS Brandon Di Goti
3B Daniel Cuvet
3B Ethan Puig
OF Derek Williams
OF Bobby Marsh
OF Max Galvin
OF/RHP Todd Hudson
OF Jake Kulikowski
OF Edgardo Villegas
OF Gaby Gutierrez
OF Fabio Peralta
OF Michael Torres
OF Elijah Hurt
OF Alex Kuenzle
RHP Brian Walters
RHP Jordan Vargas
RHP Alex Stanyek
RHP Nick Robert
RHP Brandon Olivera
RHP Jackson Cleveland
RHP Will Smith
RHP Griffin Hugus
RHP Carson Fisher
RHP Reese Lumpkin
RHP Alex Giroux
RHP Lazaro Collera
RHP Tate DeRias
RHP James Kleivan
RHP AJ Ciscar
RHP Mekai Griffin
LHP Robert Evans
LHP Jake Dorn
LHP Ryan Ashford
LHP Michael Fernandez
Certainly not lacking in numbers. Even w cuts, managing a roster of this size is a huge challenge, especially w so many new faces. OF alone is almost 4 deep.

@scane

How many wins are you seeing there at first glance?
33 is the number I keep coming back to. On paper, you should hit better, have less bullpen **** ups, and win more midweek games, but you also give something back by not coming close to replacing Ziehl.

If I'm wrong to the upside, the starting pitching probably came together better than I expect, and one of the freshmen really hit the ground running at SS. If I'm wrong to the downside, you Franksteined a roster together with a lot of pitching projects, and didn't get anything out of the vast majority of them.

Last edited:
Apparent roster
C Tanner Smith
C Evan Tavares
C Nolan Johnson
1B Jake Ogden
1B/OF Renzo Gonzalez
2B Dorian Gonzalez
SS Adrian Areizaga
SS Amaury De Jesus
SS Brandon Di Goti
3B Daniel Cuvet
3B Ethan Puig
OF Derek Williams
OF Bobby Marsh
OF Max Galvin
OF/RHP Todd Hudson
OF Jake Kulikowski
OF Edgardo Villegas
OF Gaby Gutierrez
OF Fabio Peralta
OF Michael Torres
OF Elijah Hurt
OF Alex Kuenzle
RHP Brian Walters
RHP Jordan Vargas
RHP Alex Stanyek
RHP Nick Robert
RHP Brandon Olivera
RHP Jackson Cleveland
RHP Will Smith
RHP Griffin Hugus
RHP Carson Fisher
RHP Reese Lumpkin
RHP Alex Giroux
RHP Lazaro Collera
RHP Tate DeRias
RHP James Kleivan
RHP AJ Ciscar
RHP Mekai Griffin
LHP Robert Evans
LHP Jake Dorn
LHP Ryan Ashford
LHP Michael Fernandez
Some of these guys better have a contingency plan for January at Barry,Lynn, Nova, or some obscure JC.
I still can't believe that we retained some players from last season.

Advertisement
We all know what we're getting w JD, but this next season is really important for Fenster and Laz to step it up and show what they're capable of in terms of developing young players. Arguably, they have as much or more riding on 2025 as JD, as far as their careers and next coaching job.

Apparent roster
C Tanner Smith
C Evan Tavares
C Nolan Johnson
1B Jake Ogden
1B/OF Renzo Gonzalez
2B Dorian Gonzalez
SS Adrian Areizaga
SS Amaury De Jesus
SS Brandon Di Goti
3B Daniel Cuvet
3B Ethan Puig
OF Derek Williams
OF Bobby Marsh
OF Max Galvin
OF/RHP Todd Hudson
OF Jake Kulikowski
OF Edgardo Villegas
OF Gaby Gutierrez
OF Fabio Peralta
OF Michael Torres
OF Elijah Hurt
OF Alex Kuenzle
RHP Brian Walters
RHP Jordan Vargas
RHP Alex Stanyek
RHP Nick Robert
RHP Brandon Olivera
RHP Jackson Cleveland
RHP Will Smith
RHP Griffin Hugus
RHP Carson Fisher
RHP Reese Lumpkin
RHP Alex Giroux
RHP Lazaro Collera
RHP Tate DeRias
RHP James Kleivan
RHP AJ Ciscar
RHP Mekai Griffin
LHP Robert Evans
LHP Jake Dorn
LHP Ryan Ashford
LHP Michael Fernandez
Wow are we light on proven LHPs. Guess that's why they went after the defensive C.

We all know what we're getting w JD, but this next season is really important for Fenster and Laz to step it up and show what they're capable of in terms of developing young players. Arguably, they have as much or more riding on 2025 as JD, as far as their careers and next coaching job.
By May 15th they will know if it's time to get their house on the market. This fall season will be very interesting.

Advertisement
33 is the number I keep coming back to. On paper, you should hit better, have less bullpen **** ups, and win more midweek games, but you also give something back by not coming close to replacing Ziehl.

If I'm wrong to the upside, the starting pitching probably came together better than I expect, and one of the freshmen really hit the ground running at SS. If I'm wrong to the downside, you Franksteined a roster together with a lot of pitching projects, and didn't get anything out of the vast majority of them.
This team has no real Friday or Saturday starter. A bunch of Sunday and midweek guys.

My gut tells me we are no better than last year at most positions. Worse at starting pitching and better bullpen. And the biggest problem there is there won’t be leads for the pen to hang on to.

I think we finish under .500 again.

Funny. No competition/battle at 2nd base.
Dorian is the obvious starter going into the Fall practices. I have to imagine the three SS prospects will compete for the starting spot as well as the 2B position back up spot. Having competition at both positions will only make us better.
I'm curious to see how good the SS from Puerto Rico is ...

Advertisement
This team has no real Friday or Saturday starter. A bunch of Sunday and midweek guys.

My gut tells me we are no better than last year at most positions. Worse at starting pitching and better bullpen. And the biggest problem there is there won’t be leads for the pen to hang on to.

I think we finish under .500 again.
I agree, one thing I haven’t heard anyone talk about is not replacing Long defensively. He held on or turned multiple games with his glove last year. Our best option in CF is now Torres a freshman or Galvin who has mostly played RF and LF in Summer leagues and at Miami Dade.

I have a hard time believing with those holes in our starting rotation and defensively that there will be much improvement from last year to this year.

Didnt the poster that knows Derek Williams say hes back to his hs QB speed. Maybe he can be CF. That would hopefully have two big bats in OF with Galvin

Didnt the poster that knows Derek Williams say hes back to his hs QB speed. Maybe he can be CF. That would hopefully have two big bats in OF with Galvin
Derek Williams is a LF/1B/DH player. He is not a glove and certainly not a CF'er.

Derek Williams is a LF/1B/DH player. He is not a glove and certainly not a CF'er.
Let the highly recruited freshman (Torres) roam CF for three years. It's not as if this roster is going very far next year, and he probably turned down several hundred thousand dollars in choosing college.

Advertisement
Back