1B Ogden
2B Dorian?
SS Diaz
3B Cuvet
RF Williams
CF Galvin
LF Marsh
DH Hudson

You probably haven't replaced the absolute top end bat in Cyr, but you've replaced or upgraded everywhere except catcher (I'm a little skeptical) and LF (Cyr). Cyr is virtually irreplaceable but that feels like a nice jump overall. They've done a lot of what I meant when I said ask me what I think about Marsh in a month, assuming they do close in on a SS.

Starting pitching needs a big close though.
Is there anyone in the portal who can be a top-end bat or remotely close to it? What about that kid who was the D2 Player of the Year. Blanking out on his name?

Advertisement
Is there anyone in the portal who can be a top-end bat or remotely close to it? What about that kid who was the D2 Player of the Year. Blanking out on his name?
The kid from Saginaw? I don’t know if he would handle high level pitching day in and day out.

The Ole Miss kid who had twenty bombs is out there…but I’m sure he will be at some other SEC school

Always tough comparing levels but Jatczak could be one. Maybe a couple others, but Cyr was know it when you see it special from the moment he stepped on campus.
I assume pitching will come down to remaining portal additions and who doesn't leave in the draft. I do wonder if we will have good enough pitching staff if we get 2 weekend portal arms and someone like Herick come back.

Day 3 bonus is 125K+ vs probably 10K for a senior in the same spot. That’s a lot of loyalty or a lot of NIL. There’s a reason Johnny Ruiz is the only drafted true junior to return in last 13 drafts.
I thought the $125k was an "up to" amount after round 10 and not a required minimum, i.e. they can offer him a lot less as a late round junior who is never going to be in rounds 1-10?

Advertisement
I thought the $125k was an "up to" amount after round 10 and not a required minimum, i.e. they can offer him a lot less as a late round junior who is never going to be in rounds 1-10?
Looking through the signings database for BA virtually everyone that signed in rounds 11-17 (seniors likely self-sorted for the cheap deals in the rounds 8-10 plus you still had COVID eligibility) got the new max of $150K. Rounds 18-20, it's still quite a few $150Ks with a broader range of $50K-$150K with a few seniors sticking out like a sore thumb at $20K-$30K.

Of our recent late picks, Vilar got the then max $125K in Round 15 and Garland got $100K in round 17.

Looking through the signings database for BA virtually everyone that signed in rounds 11-17 (seniors likely self-sorted for the cheap deals in the rounds 8-10 plus you still had COVID eligibility) got the new max of $150K. Rounds 18-20, it's still quite a few $150Ks with a broader range of $50K-$150K with a few seniors sticking out like a sore thumb at $20K-$30K.

Of our recent late picks, Vilar got the then max $125K in Round 15 and Garland got $100K in round 17.
Ok, thanks. You are right then - he's probably gone if picked.

I must have been thinking of the round 8 - 10 seniors, who get ~$10k - $20k if I recall.

Villegas, Renzo, Gaby...are they still here following yesterday's deadline?

Advertisement
Unfortunately they are still on the roster. So are 4-5 pitchers who will not help us.
Going to be some serious cuts in the fall.
Renzo hit .322 in 87 at bats in 2023, but I agree with you about Villegas and Gaby. Villegas is what he is and Gaby hasn't done much.

Renzo hit .322 in 87 at bats in 2023, but I agree with you about Villegas and Gaby. Villegas is what he is and Gaby hasn't done much.
Renzo was one of my favorites...he is out Matt Stairs. Good hitter and really no position. Can we afford to just have a PH off the bench and occasional DH?

Renzo was one of my favorites...he is out Matt Stairs. Good hitter and really no position. Can we afford to just have a PH off the bench and occasional DH?
With the new roster size and our history of injuries, keep the best 40.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Maybe I heard wrong but I thought they said renzo had moved to pitching prior to his injury this year

What are we missing at this point? Just some weekend arms and a SS?
A winning team. The discussion of whether the roster is "better" than last year, vs the roster being Miami level can be had after the draft, etc. But we have not replaced Cyr or our top 2 starting pitchers...

We seem to have the Miami problem where we are ok settling for better after burning **** to the ground of incompetence vs. competing at the high level we should be competing at...

Although I do not foresee many on this baseball board falling for such tomfoolery...

A winning team. The discussion of whether the roster is "better" than last year, vs the roster being Miami level can be had after the draft, etc. But we have not replaced Cyr or our top 2 starting pitchers...

We seem to have the Miami problem where we are ok settling for better after burning **** to the ground of incompetence vs. competing at the high level we should be competing at...

Although I do not foresee many on this baseball board falling for such tomfoolery...
I agree and I still don’t think we’re going to be better than last year with this roster. A “real commitment” would be signing some of these high level players.

And a blind man could see we’re waiting on draft decisions with our pitchers and that going to leave us with scraps from the portal when they go.

Brother if one of his top traits is framing pitches, it's awful.

This team needs hitters.

Hes going to be framing pitchers for pitchers who are gonna have 5 eras across the board. We need runs.
I don’t disagree that we need runs, but a run saved = run scored.

And in college baseball today, with the run environment exploding, an ERA of 5 is above average.

The player overall is an upgrade on Scanlon. Whether that’s good enough is for you to decide, of course.

Advertisement
Back