2018 nfl combine thread

C'mon man - Adrian Peterson & Justin Fargas had very similar measurables. You can make some wild comparisons if you're only looking at combine results.

Production is, BY FAR, the most important thing when evaluating a player.

I'll put it to you this way, 12 of the first 13 RB's drafted last year averaged over 6 yards per carry in their college career. So yeah, I'd say production matters.

Walton isn't very good in production, size, speed, or athleticism. It's really hard to pull the trigger on a guy like that in the first 4 rounds. There aren't many examples of it in the last 15 years.

I think there's a pretty solid top 8 RB's at the moment - Barkley, Guice, Michel, Chubb, Jones, Penny, Freeman, Johnson. Rank'em any way you want, but there haven't bee more than 8 RB's taken in the first 3 rounds in the last 10 years.

So now you're in the 4th. Next I would predict Adams (Size & Production), Scarborough (Size & Combine) Ballage (Size & Combine, even though he's 10 ply), Hines (40 time) all go ahead of Walton.

So of the 12 RB's I've listed, which 3 are you knocking out to get Walton in the Top 10? Anyone else you'd put in your Top 10 that I didn't have in my Top 12?

I personally put Samuels (probably more of a FB/HB) & Edmonds solidly ahead of Walton, but don't think that's a given.

So now I'm at 12 - 14 RB's off the board (I personally have 14), and there's about 20 RB's drafted usually, so let's just say between 8-10 spots left.

I think Walton is now in a pool of 3rd down RB's - guys like Walton, Wadley, Roc Thomas, Jackson, Wilson, Kelly. How those guys are ranked on draft boards probably differs wildly team to team. All have question marks about them. Pro Days are still probably going to play a big role for these guys.

And those are just the combine guys, and not including big backs like Nall, Warren, Franklin, Williams There's other small guys who are ranked as Top 20 type guys on some boards like Martez Carter & Ito Smith. And some names will pop out of nowhere as workout wonders at their Pro Days.

So there's still a lot of shuffling for those last 10 spots still left to play out.
your rankings are bad imo
Kelly and Walton are MUCH better players than Adams, Scarborough and Ballage. And Royce Freeman has the production, but just straight up isn't very good. No way Walton is lower than 10. Thats what I'm telling you

PRODUCTION ISN"T EVERYTHING

Advertisement
Hate to tell you this, but comparing combine measurements is the definition of using stats.
lol is this a joke. You're trying to tell me on field production is the same "stat" as combine results? lol

its obvious what I meant when i said ignore stats.

your rankings are bad imo
Kelly and Walton are MUCH better players than Adams, Scarborough and Ballage. And Royce Freeman has the production, but just straight up isn't very good. No way Walton is lower than 10. Thats what I'm telling you

PRODUCTION ISN"T EVERYTHING

These are less my personal ratings as they are how I predict the draft will unfold. There's still going to be a lot of shuffling between now and the draft

Fair enough if you think my predictions are bad. Everyone's got their own draft board.

But I'd gladly take a bet that Walton won't be in the top 10 RB's taken.

Walton was a beast his last year of HS and was poised for a monster season in 2017.

The big difference between the two IMO is that Walton improves steadily while Duke is great from the jump. It was the same thing in high school. Walton kept getting better. At the pro level, I see them having a similar impact.

D$ - you thought Yearby was a better runner than Walton halfway through the season in 2016 (after the VT game).

DMoney - Yearby.webp

It just seems like a real stretch to me that Walton only played 10 more games, averaging 3.1 ypc or less in 4 of them, that you now think he's on a now on a par with Duke?

I think there just may be some recency effect going on?

Advertisement
D$ - you thought Yearby was a better runner than Walton halfway through the season in 2016 (after the VT game).

View attachment 58609

It just seems like a real stretch to me that Walton only played 10 more games, averaging 3.1 ypc or less in 4 of them, that you now think he's on a now on a par with Duke?

You are too invested in trying to prove Walton isn’t good, just chill

D$ - I really respect your opinion, but what's your thought process here?

If you feel they're similar - What reasons do you attribute to Duke putting up such bigger numbers at both the HS & College levels?
Duke was infinitely better at running the football. It’s not even close and never was.

I respect your opinion, I really disagree with you here. IMO - Walton showed improvement, but on his best day was never the player Duke was the minute he stepped on campus. I mean...Duke went 7 carries for 135 yds and 2 TD's in his very first game against Boston College. Can you imagine Walton doing that?

High School
- Walton's YPC steadily decreased from his Soph to Senior year - 8.6 to 8.2 to 7.2. A 7.2 ypc your last year is pretty much lower than all other top RB's to come out of South Florida.
- Duke had 1,500 yds & 10+ ypc in his Soph, Junior, and Senior years.

I think a better comp would be another Cleveland Brown & South Florida RB - Matt Dayes

- Matt Dayes HS Sr Year - 266 for 1,878 - 7.1 ypc - 28 TD's
- Walton HS Sr Year - 203 for 1,470 yds - 7.2 ypc - 22 TD's

Dayes showed steady progression at NC St. going from 4.0 ypc (Fr), to 5.5 ypc (So) to 6.5 ypc (Jr). Dayes was having a huge year in 2016, with 865 yds, 6.5 ypc, and 12 TD's thru 8 games before getting injured. He's a great receiver too.

Dayes is a hard working South Florida kid who showed steady improvement, but is a smaller and not a great athlete. He's a 3rd down RB in the NFL, who is a great pass catcher and Special Teams player who was drafted in the 7th Round.

Walton's career college ypc (5.1) is much closer to Dayes (5.2) than it is to Duke (6.7). Both Walton & Dayes kept improving, but their ceiling is below Duke's floor.

Duke has more pass receptions than any NFL RB over the last 3 years. I think it's more realistic Walton makes an NFL team as a scrappy Special Teams player than it is he becomes one of the top pass catching RB's in the NFL.
The Dayes comparison is excellent. The similarities in production and parallels back to Hs are spooky.

JuMosq and Whitman are the dudes.

You're wrong about Chubb though. Yes, his 3-cone is bad, but that's when you go back to the tape and see how he bends around OT's. He'll be good. But in general, Force Players identifies good Edge rushers very well.

I like Chubb a lot...just have him as the #2 player at the EDGE spot. Its incredibly similar to Vic Beasley and Dante Fowler, IMO. I think Chubb, value-wise splits the difference between Fowler and Joey Bosa (one of my favorite edge guys in recent memory...such a can't miss player). He just has to win in a different way then having consistent explosion bending around a tackle. Chubb is great at the counter and going across a tackles face, so he'll be a really good player. But Landry...when the on-field production is so good and the athleticism is absolutely elite like his is, barring injury, he's a home run pick. The idea he "fell" is some weird **** in the first place, but he is going to be so good for whoever gets him.

Hubbard is Bosa-lite and the bend kind of confirmed it. I guess he'll be a R2 type of player, but I think someone is going to get a really good find. Somewhere between a Bosa and a Brian Robison to be very Harold Reynolds in my comparison. Lots of teams will regret not taking him.

Advertisement
You are too invested in trying to prove Walton isn’t good, just chill

This was an admittedly ****ish post, and yes, I'm way too invested in Walton. But on the flip, you and other people have been overly invested in trying to prove he's good.

Somehow Walton, on top of his play, gets injured for the year, has a bad combine - and is now similar to Duke Johnson? It's just amazing to me.

This was an admittedly ****ish post, and yes, I'm way too invested in Walton. But on the flip, you and other people have been overly invested in trying to prove he's good.

Somehow Walton, on top of his play, gets injured for the year, has a bad combine - and is now similar to Duke Johnson? It's just amazing to me.
He’s a similar type of athlete in terms of testing numbers and size but duke is a better football player overall

He’s a similar type of athlete in terms of testing numbers and size but duke is a better football player overall

Duke = 5-9, 207 lbs., 4.54, 18 bench reps, 33.5 vert, 121 broad jump (bench reps from his pro day)
Cooper = 5-10, 205 lbs., 4.65, 18 bench reps, 32.5 vert, 114 broad jump ( vert from his pro day)
Walton = 5-10, 202 lbs., 4.60, 18 bench reps, 31.5 vert, 118 broad jump

Walton is closer to Graig Cooper in height, weight, 40 time, and vertical. Walton is closer to Duke in in broad jump.

Why is Duke a better comparison than Cooper?

Last edited:

View attachment 58609

First, I always maintained Walton was the better overall back.

Second, I will repeat what I keep saying about Walton: he improves at a pace most other RBs don't. It was the same in HS and in college.

He was one of the best RBs in the country this year when he was on the field.

I think he will be a 3rd-4th rounder and a very good all-around pro on par with Duke. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like Chubb a lot...just have him as the #2 player at the EDGE spot. Its incredibly similar to Vic Beasley and Dante Fowler, IMO. I think Chubb, value-wise splits the difference between Fowler and Joey Bosa (one of my favorite edge guys in recent memory...such a can't miss player). He just has to win in a different way then having consistent explosion bending around a tackle. Chubb is great at the counter and going across a tackles face, so he'll be a really good player. But Landry...when the on-field production is so good and the athleticism is absolutely elite like his is, barring injury, he's a home run pick. The idea he "fell" is some weird **** in the first place, but he is going to be so good for whoever gets him.

Hubbard is Bosa-lite and the bend kind of confirmed it. I guess he'll be a R2 type of player, but I think someone is going to get a really good find. Somewhere between a Bosa and a Brian Robison to be very Harold Reynolds in my comparison. Lots of teams will regret not taking him.

If you switched Landry's 16 and 17 tape, people would be higher on him.

Even then, he is only a pass rusher. Struggles to set an edge. So I can see why some people don't like that. I think he's pretty similar to Vic Beasley.

I will repeat what I keep saying about Walton: he improves at a pace most other RBs don't. It was the same in HS and in college.

He was one of the best RBs in the country this year when he was on the field.

I think he will be a 3rd-4th rounder and a very good all-around pro on par with Duke. We will see how it goes.
He was on the field for 4 games this year.
Bethune Cookman, and Toledo where he averaged 13.04 yards per carry.
Duke and Florida State where he averaged 2.62 yards per carry.

you are suffering homer blindness on this topic.

Advertisement

Dude in all your comparisons, Walton is THE MOST COMPARABLE based solely on the combine.
Ignore everything else, and Duke is the best comparison for Walton. Thats literally all I was saying. Yes Duke is a better comparison than cooper is for Walton.....based on the Combine! Literally everything is as close or close - from measurements to drills - than Cooper is to him. The only thing is you want to compare him to someone slightly less athletic in Cooper who never did anything in the NFL to fit your narrative that Walton sucks.... and I'm comparing him to someone slightly more athletic in Duke who is good in the NFL

Ultimately no one thinks Walton will be as good as Duke. I think Walton will be an excellent 3rd down back, and potential asset on special teams. I do not think he will ever be a "bell cow" type that I absolutely think Duke can be.

He was VISIBLY injured in those games dawg.
Like you guys can't be serious. yeah he said in an interview he was 100%, but he was ******* lying. You could literally see in games that he could barely cut, and would always get up limping, to even coming out a few seeries due to it.
yall trippin for real.

Terrell Davis and LT must have the same "homer blindness" when they talk up Walton.

Walton was limping against Duke and FSU. Watch him against NC State when he lit up Bradley Chubb in pass pro and ran all over that NFL front.

The more I think about, the more I expect him to be better than Duke in the league. Neither guy will be a bell cow runner, but Walton is the same caliber receiver and better blocker and red zone runner.

He was VISIBLY injured in those games dawg.
Like you guys can't be serious. yeah he said in an interview he was 100%, but he was ******* lying. You could literally see in games that he could barely cut, and would always get up limping, to even coming out a few seeries due to it.
yall trippin for real.
Reconcile that with d money saying he was "one of the best running backs in the country this year when he was on the field"
That is the only statement I was addressing.

Advertisement
Back