2018 nfl combine thread

I'm just explaining to you the reality of the situation. Ankle injury or not, and regardless of my opinion, the consensus opinion was he had a bad combine. That's why his stock took a hit right now, and why he needs a really strong Pro Day.

View attachment 58641

IMO - I think the affects of the ankle surgery is over-exaggerated, because:

1) He was cleared medically to play in a game 2 months before the combine. He tweeted the ankle was fine and would do all drills a month before the combine. It wasn't a wait and see how it feels right before the combine situation. He checked fine medically at the combine, with no red flags.

2) He tested consistently with how he did in HS, when he was on the lower end of athletic testing.

At The Opening in 2014, his SPARQ was and 11th of 12 RB's & 80th of 108 overall - https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...881543/2014-sparq-combine-results-the-opening

Here's a link comparing players HS vs. Combine times, using a different Nike event for Walton from High School. A few make big leaps, most stay in the same general range - https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2018-NFL-Scouting-Combine-vs-high-school-results-116007677

From the 2 HS events and Combine, Walton's results look like:

High School - 40 = 4.63 & 4.68, Vertical = 33" & 31.3", Shuttle = 4.34, 4.38
NFL Combine - 40 = 4.60 & 4.64, Vertical = 31.5"
I'm not understanding what your point in all this is.
I've already shown, the day of/after the combine that Walton did poorly. But again NOBODY expected him to go out their and kill it either. We've already talked about how Duke is a better athlete, and its not like his combine performance was much different.

Regardless, nothing you show me leads me to think he wont be one of the top 10 RBs selected and end up being a 4th round pick. We'll see what happens April 17th/18th.

Advertisement
That’s exactly what Walton is. He’s an excellent versatile player who gives incredible effort. I don’t think he’s a difference maker carrying the football, but he won’t have to be in order to carve out a good long career.

Most of you guys won’t know who I’m talking about, but Warren Williams was a similar UM RB who hung around the NFL for a long **** time but was never a superstar carrying the ball.
Chise...from my HS North Ft Myers High

I'm not understanding what your point in all this is.
I've already shown, the day of/after the combine that Walton did poorly. But again NOBODY expected him to go out their and kill it either. We've already talked about how Duke is a better athlete, and its not like his combine performance was much different.

Regardless, nothing you show me leads me to think he wont be one of the top 10 RBs selected and end up being a 4th round pick. We'll see what happens April 17th/18th.

Well...here's your RB rankings you posted AFTER they ran their 40's. So if you still ranked Walton #5 after running a 4.6 40 at 202 lbs, then it's probably fair to say there's nothing anyone can show you to think he wont be one of the top 10 RB's selected.

1. Barkley
2. Guice
3. Ronald Jones
4. Michel
5. Walton
6. Chubb
7. John Kelly
8. Rashaad Penny
9. Kerryon Johnson
10. Nyheim Hines

Emmitt Smith laugh's at your evals. Check the game tape, playa. That's all I care about; football, game day speed vs. workout warrior. Eye test says Walton will be in the league for a minute, barring any injuries. Idgaf about the analytics....between Walton's heart, determination, and his ability to learn, I'll take him as my running back every day out of the year.

-Analytics said that Ryan Matthews should be on his way as one of the greatest running backs ever.
-Analytics said Priest Holmes had no business being in the NFL
-Analytics said that Emmitt Smith should've been a 4th round pick
-Analytics said Jeff George and Ryan Leaf were two "can't miss" QB's.
-Analytics said Blair Thomas was better then Emmitt Smith.

F analytics, man...put on the game film. Did Walton look like a 4.6 guy w/ pads on? Did he look like he was lacking athleticism when he was swung to the ground by a FSU defender only to re-balance himself to score arguably one of the most exciting non-TD, TD run? Did he look like he lacked explosiveness when he constantly dove over people for the end zone?

Btw, miss me w/ the medically cleared argument, as well. You know how many concussed players have been "medically" cleared to play? Walton is a warrior that plays running back.

Walton's had 1 carry over 30 yds against a Power 5 team in his entire career. So yes, he definitely looked, and played, like a 4.6 guy with pads on.

I'll go back and check the tape. But so we can weed out the FAU's & Toledo's of the world - can you give me 5 games vs. P5 teams you'd suggest I watch?

Walton's had 1 carry over 30 yds against a Power 5 team in his entire career. So yes, he definitely looked, and played, like a 4.6 guy with pads on.

I'll go back and check the tape. But so we can weed out the FAU's & Toledo's of the world - can you give me 5 games vs. P5 teams you'd suggest I watch?

Naw; ur a Canes fan, right?? U should know those games.

Advertisement
Well...here's your RB rankings you posted AFTER they ran their 40's. So if you still ranked Walton #5 after running a 4.6 40 at 202 lbs, then it's probably fair to say there's nothing anyone can show you to think he wont be one of the top 10 RB's selected.

1. Barkley
2. Guice
3. Ronald Jones
4. Michel
5. Walton
6. Chubb
7. John Kelly
8. Rashaad Penny
9. Kerryon Johnson
10. Nyheim Hines
He's between 5 and 7, honestly.
Between he, Chubb, and Kelly for that 5,6,7 spot for me.
Chubbs problem is that injury really ****ed him up, especially for his junior year. His combine makes me think his athleticism isn't gone, but that makes me question his tape. Because imo, it clearly looked like he was not the same player at all that he used to be. ..If this was pre injury, he'd be 2 or 3 for sure.

I actually really like Kelly. Not ask quick or agile as Walton imo. And Walton is more the type to be a long time NFL 3rd down starter, whereas Kelly while he can be a 3rd down back, to me is a more tough physical runner that can handle a large workload early, and be a teams 4 yrs starter type

He's between 5 and 7, honestly.
Between he, Chubb, and Kelly for that 5,6,7 spot for me.
Chubbs problem is that injury really ****ed him up, especially for his junior year. His combine makes me think his athleticism isn't gone, but that makes me question his tape. Because imo, it clearly looked like he was not the same player at all that he used to be. ..If this was pre injury, he'd be 2 or 3 for sure.

I actually really like Kelly. Not ask quick or agile as Walton imo. And Walton is more the type to be a long time NFL 3rd down starter, whereas Kelly while he can be a 3rd down back, to me is a more tough physical runner that can handle a large workload early, and be a teams 4 yrs starter type

Chubb was super human before the knee injury. The gap between him and Michel was huge before the knee. I agree he's not the same, but still think he's on a different level than Walton & Kelly.

Everyone has guys they like more than others, so you're just higher on Walton & Kelly than I am, and plenty of people agree with you. There's just not many examples of guys with their combined production + testing numbers going that high in the draft, so I don't see it. We shall see.

Rashaad Penny is the guy I think people are really sleeping on. Someone is gonna get an absolute steal.

Advertisement
Kind of hurts to look at those 5, doesn't it?

Naw, it doesn’t. It kinda hurts that I wasted my time arguing w a guy who I know is not a fan. Time I will never get back. Just so I’m clear, Pitt, NC St, UVA, GT....those are power 5 teams, correct? U know what, never mind. We’ll pretend this convo never took place, my g.

Naw, it doesn’t. It kinda hurts that I wasted my time arguing w a guy who I know is not a fan. Time I will never get back. Just so I’m clear, Pitt, NC St, UVA, GT....those are power 5 teams, correct? U know what, never mind. We’ll pretend this convo never took place, my g.

Which GT game did you mean - The 11 for 36 yd, 3.3 ypc, 2TD game....or the 15 for 44 yd, 2.9 ypc, 1TD game?

And those games are what you thought of for his TOP 5?

I can see why you don't want to continue this. I'm a huge Miami fan, just not a Walton fan.

Which GT game did you mean - The 11 for 36 yd, 3.3 ypc, 2TD game....or the 15 for 44 yd, 2.9 ypc, 1TD game?

And those games are what you thought of for his TOP 5?

I can see why you don't want to continue this. I'm a huge Miami fan, just not a Walton fan.

And I'm sure Miami is your dream school, right? FOH.

Should I call Saquon weak when he got shut down by a 3-9 Maryland team whose defense that ranked 91st in total defense
Should I call him pedestrian for avg. 4.2 yards against a 5-7 Illinois team whose defense ranked 112th in the nation?
Should I dismiss the fact that he struggled to run the rock against teams like Indiana, Rutgers, Georgia St, Minnesota??

Of course not. The fact is Barkley is a helluva back and he had great games against Power 5 teams, but he had some pretty ****y games too. The fact is Barkley deserves to be a top 5 pick. I've always been a fan of Barkley; But, to say that Walton wouldn't be a good NFL running back is just stupid. Dude had a nose for the end zone, EVEN when he wasn't getting the production. Blocker, catching the ball out of the back field, play special teams....dude is a FOOTBALL player. Those guys last in the NFL, period.

Did I say anything about him being a pro-bowler year in and out? I said he will make the NFL as a running back and be in the league for a while. He'll start as ST guy, but the guy is a hard worker that has skills. I don't know your beef w/ Walton....maybe your real name is Joe Yearby. All I know is your going way out of your way to bash Walton, and real talk, I doubt you're a Cane fan.

Should I call Saquon weak when he got shut down by a 3-9 Maryland team whose defense that ranked 91st in total defense
Should I call him pedestrian for avg. 4.2 yards against a 5-7 Illinois team whose defense ranked 112th in the nation?
Should I dismiss the fact that he struggled to run the rock against teams like Indiana, Rutgers, Georgia St, Minnesota??

Of course not. The fact is Barkley is a helluva back and he had great games against Power 5 teams, but he had some pretty ****y games too. The fact is Barkley deserves to be a top 5 pick. I've always been a fan of Barkley; But, to say that Walton wouldn't be a good NFL running back is just stupid. Dude had a nose for the end zone, EVEN when he wasn't getting the production. Blocker, catching the ball out of the back field, play special teams....dude is a FOOTBALL player. Those guys last in the NFL, period.

Did I say anything about him being a pro-bowler year in and out? I said he will make the NFL as a running back and be in the league for a while. He'll start as ST guy, but the guy is a hard worker that has skills. I don't know your beef w/ Walton....maybe your real name is Joe Yearby. All I know is your going way out of your way to bash Walton, and real talk, I doubt you're a Cane fan.
He calls Walton out for being what exactly barkley is.... a Feast or famine back

Advertisement
What does Barkley being overrated as a rB have to do with Walton’s production. Barkley is a million times the athlete that Walton is, but neither of them killed it consistently on the field.

He calls Walton out for being what exactly barkley is.... a Feast or famine back

Here's a question for your Feast or Famine theory, and since I asked Rell for Walton's Top 5 games.

Let's take every carry from every P5 game Walton has played in. That's 22 games and 283 carries.
Let's take Barkley's Top 5 P5 games from just his Fr. & Soph year. That's 5 games and 121 carries.

Now, I'm spotting Walton 162 more carries.

Who would you guess had more rushing yards in those games, and by how much?

Last edited:

I went to Miami, but not sure what that has to do with anything. Doesn't make anything I'm saying any more or less valid, IMO.

It's fair to question why Barkley averaged 3.5 or less in 20% of his games. It's also fair to question Walton for did it in 60% of his.

I compared Walton to Matt Dayes, and think his career will resemble Mike James/Javarris James/Damien Berry/Jarrett Payton. You think that sounds stupid.

You said "I think Walton is going to have a Matt Forte type of career". So yes, you're suggesting he'll make a couple Pro Bowls in his career. I think that sounds stupid.

Advertisement
I went to Miami, but not sure what that has to do with anything. Doesn't make anything I'm saying any more or less valid, IMO.

It's fair to question why Barkley averaged 3.5 or less in 20% of his games. It's also fair to question Walton for did it in 60% of his.

I compared Walton to Matt Dayes, and think his career will resemble Mike James/Javarris James/Damien Berry/Jarrett Payton. You think that sounds stupid.

You said "I think Walton is going to have a Matt Forte type of career". So yes, you're suggesting he'll make a couple Pro Bowls in his career. I think that sounds stupid.

To each his own homie. You don't like him, you don't like him. And my last statement was "DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIM BEING A PRO BOWLER YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT?" Yet, you take me saying he will have a Matt Forte type of career, which Matt only went to TWO PRO BOWLS as saying that Walton will be a perennial pro-bowler? FOH.

Matt Forte had a solid career for my Bears. He was solid, not HOF, but solid. What made him good was he was multi-faceted. Walton is multi-faceted, and I stand by my statement.

Would love for the bucs to take Walton in the 3rd or 4th.
I’d want them to trade down from their draft pick If Bradley chubb or minkah Fitzpatrick isn’t there and draft derrius guice late in the first round

Here's why I think Walton's Pro Day is going to be so important.

Now - I think Walton is a better runner than Kelen Ballage. I've watched Ballage a couple times and just think he's very soft, not real creative, just not a lot there as a runner. Walton is definitely better.

But Ballage is also a really good receiver, a great athlete, had a great combine, it sounds like he killed it at his Pro Day:

"Ballage timed as fast as 4.35s in the forty while a few watches had him in the low 4.4s. He hit 37 inches in the vertical jump, a vast improvement from his mark of 32.5 inches at the combine. Ballage was sensational during position drills and really stood out catching the ball. He looked explosive in and out of breaks and showed natural hands."

Ballage is 228 lbs. , runs a 4.4, jumps 37", had a 6.91 3 Cone. I think Ballage's size & athletic potential is going to put him ahead of Walton on a lot of teams boards.

Again, I think Walton is no question a better player at this point. But I think athletic potential goes a long ways. If a team came into the combine with Walton ranked in the 8-10 RB range, and Ballage in the 10-12 RB range, these workouts can be enough to switch the 2.

This one is easy.

No - he won't be one of the Top 10 RB's drafted. No doubt in my mind. Totally regardless of how you feel about him as a player - his lack of athleticism takes him out of that conversation.

If you're looking at Devonta Freeman & James White going in the 4th as a comp for Walton - I'll tell you that 2014 draft was the worst RB draft ever. And Freeman went 9th and White 13th. Bishop Sankey was the 1st RB taken. Kadeem Carey went 11th at 207 lb. 4.67.

I'm saying he goes in the 6th - and that's largely based on the Richt talking up Walton to NFL GM's. Richt LOVES Walton.

I think Walton is an NFL journeyman for a year or two - much like Javarris James, Damien Berry & Jarrett Payton.

Good call man.

Advertisement
Back