2018 nfl combine thread

Fine - Dukes overall combine was closer to Duke.

I'll dop it IF.....you can point out which part of this statement is false - Walton is closer to Graig Cooper in height, weight, 40 time, and vertical. Walton is closer to Duke in in broad jump.

And D$ just talked himself from Walton being as good as Duke to better than Duke in this thread. So yes, there are smart football people that think Walton will be as good as Duke.
Look you can look at EVERYTHING yourself. Youre also ignoring arm length, hand size as well.

.............................Duke...|...Walton...|..Cooper
..........Height:...5090....|.....5095......|....5100 ............closer to Cooper by 1/8"
.........Weight:....207......|......202.......|....205.................closer to Cooper by 2 lbs
Arm Length: 30 3/8" |......30".......|...31 3/4"...........closer to Duke with EXACT arm length
....Hand Size:. 9 1/4"..|.....9 1/4"...|....9 1/2" ...........closer to Duke with EXACT Hand size
....................40:....4.54...|......4.60.......|.....4.60..............closer to Cooper with EXACT 40 time
.............Broad:...121"....|.....118"......|.....114"..............closer to Duke by 1"...and this shows he's just more explosive than Cooper
................Vert: 33 1/2".|...31 1/2"...|......???"..............closer to Duke which Cooper didn't even perform, and this is a major drill
**Neither Duke or Cooper did the 3-cone or shuttle like Cooper did.

So Duke gets 4 W's, Cooper gets 3 W's..Literally the only difference in the comparisons are that Duke is slightly more athletic and Cooper is sligtly less athletic. I like the Duke Comparison better, especially with the fact that He's got both jumps more similar to Duke (I don't think Cooper would have had a good Vert)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know why people thought he was some freak athlete before the injury. He has always been small, he has always been slow (relatively). But he has always played hard, had a lot of pride and a lot of heart.

Mark Walton is exactly the kind of guy that had no reason to come back. There was nothing to gain by adding stats, because his physical measurables would not have substantively improved. Realistically, the best argument for him coming back was to avoid this running back draft class, or to get his degree if he doesn't have it.

He is an excellent cane but anyone who has watched him and seen a future first round pick is either being a homer, or doesn't actually know what they are looking at.
I never thought he was great. Good, but not great.

Have never seen someone go this far to discredit a player, bshaw just chill man.
Yes, yes i have. And it is broke in the thread where he repeatedly goes to bat for a 5th rounder being better than a top 5 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, yes i have. And it is broke in the thread where he repeatedly goes to bat for a 5th rounder being better than a top 5 pick.
All I’ve said is he’s not all that that he was hyped up to be. Some talked about Walton being a feast or famine back, that’s EXACTLY who barkley is so what’s the difference?.... stats show, he has 3-4 games out of a 13 game schedule where he goes off and the rest are below average games where he gets shut down by mediocre talent IF that....
This is not good stats for a #1 overall pick period, gtfoh. Barkley is a great athlete but his play leave a lot to be desired for him to be hyped up as a once in a generation player. There 3 running backs ill take over him in this draft Ronald jones, Sony michel and derrius guice

4086CBAF-8954-49D9-97C1-691EA2F24E7C.webp

Last edited:
Advertisement
Have never seen someone go this far to discredit a player, bshaw just chill man.

That's fair enough. And since I think stats can be sliced 100 different ways to prove a point, here's how I'd make a case for Walton:

Before the ankle injury, he had 100+ yds in 5 of his last 7 games
His YPC went from 3.5 (Fr) to 5.3 (So) to 7.6 (Jr)
His Non-P5 YPC went from 4.5 (Fr) to 8.4 (So) to 13.0 (Jr)
His Non-P5 longest runs went from 17 yds (Fr) to 30, 37 & 80 yds (So) to 44, 47 & 82 yds (Jr)
His P5 longest runs went from 26 & 27 yds (Fr) to 30 & 55 yds (So)
He hasn't fumbled in his last 267 carries
He's caught a pass in 14 of his last 15 games
The last 4 games of his Fr year he had 12 catches for 227 yds
He's has 3+ catches in 13 games in his career
He's only had 14 or more carries in 14 games in his career, and had 100+ yds rushing in 7 of them
His game against Toledo is one of the best for a Miami RB ever

All I’ve said is he’s not all that that he was hyped up to be. Some talked about Walton being a feast or famine back, that’s EXACTLY who barkley is so what’s the difference?.... stats show, he has 3-4 games out of a 13 game schedule where he goes off and the rest are below average games where he gets shut down by mediocre talent IF that....
This is not good stats for a #1 overall pick period, gtfoh. Barkley is a great athlete but his play leave a lot to be desired for him to be hyped up as a once in a generation player. There 3 running backs ill take over him in this draft Ronald jones, Sony michel and derrius guice

View attachment 58612

I agree Barkley is inconsistent, and a great athlete, but a bit overhyped as a RB. He just shouldn't have games against Rutgers & Indiana that were as bad they were.

But you've conveniently left off Barkley's Freshman year where he had 5 100+ yd games, and had over 4 ypc in 9 of 11 games.

Post Barkley & Walton's full game log - and it's easy to see the difference between the 2.

Then take into account Barley making bigger plays in the passing game & returns, and him running a 4.40 at 230 while Walton runs a 4.60 at 202, and the gap becomes even wider.

So if you think Barkley is a 2nd rounder & Walton a 4th, and Barkley is the 4th best RB overall, what overall RB would you rank Walton?

Look you can look at EVERYTHING yourself. Youre also ignoring arm length, hand size as well.

.............................Duke...|...Walton...|..Cooper
..........Height:...5090....|.....5095......|....5100 ............closer to Cooper by 1/8"
.........Weight:....207......|......202.......|....205.................closer to Cooper by 2 lbs
Arm Length: 30 3/8" |......30".......|...31 3/4"...........closer to Duke with EXACT arm length
....Hand Size:. 9 1/4"..|.....9 1/4"...|....9 1/2" ...........closer to Duke with EXACT Hand size
....................40:....4.54...|......4.60.......|.....4.60..............closer to Cooper with EXACT 40 time
.............Broad:...121"....|.....118"......|.....114"..............closer to Duke by 1"...and this shows he's just more explosive than Cooper
................Vert: 33 1/2".|...31 1/2"...|......???"..............closer to Duke which Cooper didn't even perform, and this is a major drill
**Neither Duke or Cooper did the 3-cone or shuttle like Cooper did.

So Duke gets 4 W's, Cooper gets 3 W's..Literally the only difference in the comparisons are that Duke is slightly more athletic and Cooper is sligtly less athletic. I like the Duke Comparison better, especially with the fact that He's got both jumps more similar to Duke (I don't think Cooper would have had a good Vert)

So if you look at everything equally - yes, Walton and Duke are closer. But it's splitting hairs.

One problem is you're leaving off things like Coopers 6.66 3 Cone and 4.03 20 Shuttle, which makes him look more athletic.

But the bigger problem is you're weighting everything equally.

Example - the difference between a 4.54 and 4.60 40 is MUCH more important than the difference between a 9 1/4" and 9 1/2" hand size.

I agree Barkley is inconsistent, and a great athlete, but a bit overhyped as a RB. He just shouldn't have games against Rutgers & Indiana that were as bad they were.

But you've conveniently left off Barkley's Freshman year where he had 5 100+ yd games, and had over 4 ypc in 9 of 11 games.

Post Barkley & Walton's full game log - and it's easy to see the difference between the 2.

Then take into account Barley making bigger plays in the passing game & returns, and him running a 4.40 at 230 while Walton runs a 4.60 at 202, and the gap becomes even wider.

So if you think Barkley is a 2nd rounder & Walton a 4th, and Barkley is the 4th best RB overall, what overall RB would you rank Walton?
I can See Walton going in the 3rd ,4th round

Advertisement
Walton is a really good player. Will play in the NFL for years.

Lol at this guy stanning for Yearby again. Real weird stuff.

Walton is a really good player. Will play in the NFL for years.

Lol at this guy stanning for Yearby again. Real weird stuff.
That’s exactly what Walton is. He’s an excellent versatile player who gives incredible effort. I don’t think he’s a difference maker carrying the football, but he won’t have to be in order to carve out a good long career.

Most of you guys won’t know who I’m talking about, but Warren Williams was a similar UM RB who hung around the NFL for a long **** time but was never a superstar carrying the ball.

Advertisement
Lol @bshaw28 saying Walton’s lack of athleticism.

The problem is, I'm not the only one questioning Walton's lack of athleticism. Walton needs a monster pro day to make up for his combine.

Walton's combine reviews weren't good, and his post-combine stock is falling.

- Pro Football Weekly
Mark Walton — He was expected to run in the mid-to-high 4.4s, perhaps the low 4.5s at worst. But Walton clocked a 4.60 40, and though straight-line speed only has so much importance for backs, it looked even worse for a 5-foot-9, 205-pound back who was below average in the jumping drills and didn’t run a 3-cone. Walton’s on-field workouts also were underwhelming, and he’s got some work to do in the next few months to help separate himself in an extremely deep RB group in this year’s class.

- CBS
Mark Walton, Miami. As a change-of-pace scat back, Walton disappointed with a 4.60 time in the 40 and a 31.5-inch vertical. A 9-foot-9 broad jump doesn't indicate much explosiveness at the running back spot, and he didn't participate in the three-cone or short-shuttle drills, where he seemingly would've shined.

- USA Today
Mark Walton, RB, Miami (Fla.): As the rest of the backs wowed in drills and workouts, he seemed to fade into the background. His 4.60-second 40-yard dash was subpar, especially for a ball carrier of his build (5-10, 204 pounds). As he continues to work his way back from ankle surgery, Walton needs a strong pro day performance to prevent his stock from tumbling.

- Pro Football Focus
Nyheim Hines (198 pounds) and Mark Walton (202) weighed in well below the desired range for bell-cow status. They may be limited to third-down roles to start their careers as shifty receivers out of the backfield. Walton was particularly disappointing after posting a lumbering 4.60-second 40-yard dash.

- Steelers Depot
Not many guys struggled today but Mark Walton, someone I’ve been high on, seemed to. A 4.60 40 at 205 pounds isn’t the worst thing in the world but a far cry from great, either. Did no better on the vert (31.5) or broad (9’10”), which only beat out guys heavier than him. Thought he would do great catching the ball but had at least one drop and a couple double-catches in the gauntlet. Not an awful day but not what he wanted.

The problem is, I'm not the only one questioning Walton's lack of athleticism. Walton needs a monster pro day to make up for his combine.

Walton's combine reviews weren't good, and his post-combine stock is falling.

- Pro Football Weekly
Mark Walton — He was expected to run in the mid-to-high 4.4s, perhaps the low 4.5s at worst. But Walton clocked a 4.60 40, and though straight-line speed only has so much importance for backs, it looked even worse for a 5-foot-9, 205-pound back who was below average in the jumping drills and didn’t run a 3-cone. Walton’s on-field workouts also were underwhelming, and he’s got some work to do in the next few months to help separate himself in an extremely deep RB group in this year’s class.

- CBS
Mark Walton, Miami. As a change-of-pace scat back, Walton disappointed with a 4.60 time in the 40 and a 31.5-inch vertical. A 9-foot-9 broad jump doesn't indicate much explosiveness at the running back spot, and he didn't participate in the three-cone or short-shuttle drills, where he seemingly would've shined.

- USA Today
Mark Walton, RB, Miami (Fla.): As the rest of the backs wowed in drills and workouts, he seemed to fade into the background. His 4.60-second 40-yard dash was subpar, especially for a ball carrier of his build (5-10, 204 pounds). As he continues to work his way back from ankle surgery, Walton needs a strong pro day performance to prevent his stock from tumbling.

- Pro Football Focus
Nyheim Hines (198 pounds) and Mark Walton (202) weighed in well below the desired range for bell-cow status. They may be limited to third-down roles to start their careers as shifty receivers out of the backfield. Walton was particularly disappointing after posting a lumbering 4.60-second 40-yard dash.

- Steelers Depot
Not many guys struggled today but Mark Walton, someone I’ve been high on, seemed to. A 4.60 40 at 205 pounds isn’t the worst thing in the world but a far cry from great, either. Did no better on the vert (31.5) or broad (9’10”), which only beat out guys heavier than him. Thought he would do great catching the ball but had at least one drop and a couple double-catches in the gauntlet. Not an awful day but not what he wanted.

Dude, HE'S COMING OFF ANKLE SURGERY! WTF??? That's exactly why Mike Mayock said he still likes Walton, and the fact that he came in to do these drills fresh off ankle surgery speaks volume to him as a player.

You mind pulling up all the crap they said about Brady, too?? FOH.

Last edited:
Dude, HE'S COMING OFF ANKLE SURGERY! WTF??? Exactly why Mike Mayock said he still like Walton and the fact that he came in to do these drills fresh off ankle surgery speaks volume to his as a player.

You mind pulling up all the crap they said about Brady too?? FOH.
And all these so-called "experts" are looking at are the measurables. They can't measure his heart and determination!

Advertisement
Dude, HE'S COMING OFF ANKLE SURGERY! WTF??? That's exactly why Mike Mayock said he still likes Walton, and the fact that he came in to do these drills fresh off ankle surgery speaks volume to him as a player.

You mind pulling up all the crap they said about Brady, too?? FOH.

I'm just explaining to you the reality of the situation. Ankle injury or not, and regardless of my opinion, the consensus opinion was he had a bad combine. That's why his stock took a hit right now, and why he needs a really strong Pro Day.

Walton & Hines.webp

IMO - I think the affects of the ankle surgery is over-exaggerated, because:

1) He was cleared medically to play in a game 2 months before the combine. He tweeted the ankle was fine and would do all drills a month before the combine. It wasn't a wait and see how it feels right before the combine situation. He checked fine medically at the combine, with no red flags.

2) He tested consistently with how he did in HS, when he was on the lower end of athletic testing.

At The Opening in 2014, his SPARQ was and 11th of 12 RB's & 80th of 108 overall - https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...881543/2014-sparq-combine-results-the-opening

Here's a link comparing players HS vs. Combine times, using a different Nike event for Walton from High School. A few make big leaps, most stay in the same general range - https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2018-NFL-Scouting-Combine-vs-high-school-results-116007677

From the 2 HS events and Combine, Walton's results look like:

High School - 40 = 4.63 & 4.68, Vertical = 33" & 31.3", Shuttle = 4.34, 4.38
NFL Combine - 40 = 4.60 & 4.64, Vertical = 31.5"

Last edited:
I'm just explaining to you the reality of the situation. Ankle injury or not, and regardless of my opinion, the consensus opinion was he had a bad combine. That's why his stock took a hit right now, and why he needs a really strong Pro Day.

View attachment 58641

1) He was cleared medically to play in a game 2 months before the combine. He tweeted the ankle was fine and would do all drills a month before the combine. It wasn't a wait and see how it feels right before the combine situation. He checked fine medically at the combine, with no red flags.

2) He tested consistently with how he did in HS, when he was on the lower end of athletic testing.

At The Opening in 2014, his SPARQ was and 11th of 12 RB's & 80th of 108 overall - https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...881543/2014-sparq-combine-results-the-opening

Here's a link comparing players HS vs. Combine times, using a different Nike event for Walton from High School. A few make big leaps, most stay in the same general range - https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2018-NFL-Scouting-Combine-vs-high-school-results-116007677

I believe you've made your point - you're not a Walton fan. Move the *** on!

View attachment 58641

Emmitt Smith laugh's at your evals. Check the game tape, playa. That's all I care about; football, game day speed vs. workout warrior. Eye test says Walton will be in the league for a minute, barring any injuries. Idgaf about the analytics....between Walton's heart, determination, and his ability to learn, I'll take him as my running back every day out of the year.

-Analytics said that Ryan Matthews should be on his way as one of the greatest running backs ever.
-Analytics said Priest Holmes had no business being in the NFL
-Analytics said that Emmitt Smith should've been a 4th round pick
-Analytics said Jeff George and Ryan Leaf were two "can't miss" QB's.
-Analytics said Blair Thomas was better then Emmitt Smith.

F analytics, man...put on the game film. Did Walton look like a 4.6 guy w/ pads on? Did he look like he was lacking athleticism when he was swung to the ground by a FSU defender only to re-balance himself to score arguably one of the most exciting non-TD, TD run? Did he look like he lacked explosiveness when he constantly dove over people for the end zone?

Btw, miss me w/ the medically cleared argument, as well. You know how many concussed players have been "medically" cleared to play? Walton is a warrior that plays running back.

Advertisement
Back