Woodrey needs to be moved..

Advertisement
Easy, straw man. We have been the "best team" once in those 15 years. The other 14 times we were nothing close to the "best team" because of something we lacked: pitching, hitting, defense.

I think twice but that's not important.

The best team never wins. Forget just us. Any best team in any season.

The truth is that we feast on teams that aren't going to do a thing in the post-season.

Again this means nothing.

Virginia only beat one team last year (Miami) that did 'something' in the postseason.

They were swept by Virginia Tech! They actually lost 2 of 3 to a worse Georgia Tech team last year.

It didn't mean anything at the end.

Just as winning the Coastal and having the #1 RPI never means anything at the end. I think I would rather have Virginia's version of "the end" again sometime before we all die.

But tuition.

In a division with 300 teams with hardly any regional crossover, no one shows how good they are in the regular season except within a conference which makes up 3% of the country.

Yes they do.

The ISR and ELO (and to a lesser extent RPI) do a good enough job of telling us who the best teams are.

The game of baseball lends itself to a lot of randomness. That's where the fluky results come from in June.

Advertisement
Right. Random.

Exactly.

You can pretend that it's not true but it just proves how little you know about competitive athletics and probabilities.

Or maybe you can explain why the best team never wins the College World Series.

The problem is that you think you know who the "best team" is because.....RPI.

You need to decide which way you're going to settle on this. Either Jim Morris is a great manager because he has managed his team to be able to win many post-season games, or the post-season is random and you can't ever tell who is going to beat who. The two cannot work together.

It doesn't work this way:

Jim Morris is the winningest active coach in the post-season = great manager and leader
Jim Morris hasn't won much in the post-season in the last decade = darn random small samples

Even as biased as you are you have to privately accept that your defense of Jim Morris has you spinning right now.

One would think that we would learn that after "winning the Coastal" and then getting decimated by Texas Tech and Florida.

No because one is a 30 game sample size and the other is 2 or 3.

It's amazing that you still don't know this.

Except when we win, then Jim Morris has proven himself to be a master strategist in the post-season.

If we lose, it's all random.

I think I would rather have Virginia's version of "the end" again sometime before we all die.

But you didn't know that until the end. You're the ultimate playing the result kind of guy.

If we had gone 34-22 in the regular season you would have complained about that too.

Did you even know that Virginia didn't play a # 1 seed in either the Regional or Super Regional?

If the Canes were 34-22 and didn't play a # 1 seed you would have killed them. But since it was Virginia it's great.

I think I would rather have Virginia's version of "the end" again sometime before we all die.

But you didn't know that until the end. You're the ultimate playing the result kind of guy.

If we had gone 34-22 in the regular season you would have complained about that too.

Did you even know that Virginia didn't play a # 1 seed in either the Regional or Super Regional?

If the Canes were 34-22 and didn't play a # 1 seed you would have killed them. But since it was Virginia it's great.

So you can spout off about #1 in the RPI and winning the Coastal and making it to Omaha, but if I point out that Virginia won when it counted and won the whole thing, then I'm playing the result. That's how dumb you are.

Of course, if Jim Morris has post-season success, then you're the first one to tell us about it. If he doesn't, then I'm playing the result and it was all random anyway.

That must get tiring, trying to figure out which way to play it depending on how we did that year.

Advertisement

Once again that's not true.

I use all the metrics and as I said before the RPI is performance measure. It's not like the ISR in that it doesn't rate the best teams.

This is simple a dodge because you can't explain (using your limited knowledge) why Virginia (2014), Fresno State (2008), UCLA (2013), Arizona (2012), etc. won the championship.

Last edited:
Either Jim Morris is a great manager because he has managed his team to be able to win many post-season games, or the post-season is random and you can't ever tell who is going to beat who. The two cannot work together.

Or they're not mutually exclusive. They absolutely can work together. You're just not very good at this.

Jim Morris hasn't won much in the post-season in the last decade = darn random small samples

That's actually not what I said at all.

Most of our postseason losses have come against better teams. The randomness is usually in the draw, the timing and other things that are out of our (or his) control.

It's interesting how nothing you ever post is anything that I've actually said.

Advertisement
Except when we win, then Jim Morris has proven himself to be a master strategist in the post-season.

Because his postseason career consists of 150 games at Miami.

In other words not a small sample size.

You keep falling back on 2 or 3 games in one postseason. It's silly and everybody knows it.

Last edited:
So you can spout off about #1 in the RPI and winning the Coastal and making it to Omaha, but if I point out that Virginia won when it counted and won the whole thing, then I'm playing the result.

Yes because you would have killed the Canes for doing the exact same thing. The only time you would have credited them is on the final day of the season.

In fact up until that point you would have killed them (and Morris too).

Advertisement

Once again that's not true.

I use all the metrics and as I said before the RPI is performance measure. It's not like the ISR in that it doesn't rate the best teams.

This is simple a dodge because you can't explain (using your limited knowledge) why Virginia (2014), Fresno State (2008), UCLA (2013), Arizona (2013, etc. won the championship.

Oh, goodness. You think there is a "best team" and the "best team" doesn't always win. That is a clear misunderstanding of the sport of baseball. UCLA and Arizona were easily within the top 4% of all teams in those years. Teams in that range are interchangeable. Only you look at the RPI and think that the "best team" should win it all.

Because his postseason career consists of 150 games at Miami.

In other words not a small sample size.

You keep falling back on 2 or 3 games in one postseason. It's silly and everybody knows it.

But you have an excuse for each small sample size......when we lose.

Correct, they just went 3,000 miles to win a regional and then went 5-2 against the SEC in Omaha.

They got a good draw to a Regional that was 165 miles from the host school. They were also fortunate enough to have the # 1 national seed lose in the next Regional thus giving them home field in the Super Regional.

They were infinitely more lucky than we were last year.

But you don't have a single word for them other than praise.

Advertisement
Back