Wiltfong's On3 Cane CBs/Expert Predictions (aka Fong Bombs)

Advertisement
In the last 20+ years, Miami has won 10 games once... They've never won 11. To state 10-2 is an underachievement is just unfair. You can't set the floor at 11 wins. That's preposterous.
Not that it changes your point but I would count 2017 as 11 wins. Had a cupcake game against Ark State canceled due to a hurricane. They would have been 11-0 going into Pitt.

As far 2024... I think 10-2 is achieving, 9-3 or worse is underachieving. So not crazy farfetched. The o/u at 9.5 is a hard line between the 2 scenarios for me.

I think FSU is wildly overrated and we will be favored to win that game when it rolls around. So possibly favored or pick 'em in all 12 games this year. In that scenario, 2 upset losses would be underachieving for any playoff contender so I can see where Klatt is coming from.

Not that it changes your point but I would count 2017 as 11 wins. Had a cupcake game against Ark State canceled due to a hurricane. They would have been 11-0 going into Pitt.

As far 2024... I think 10-2 is achieving, 9-3 or worse is underachieving. So not crazy farfetched. The o/u at 9.5 is a hard line between the 2 scenarios for me.

I think FSU is wildly overrated and we will be favored to win that game when it rolls around. So possibly favored or pick 'em in all 12 games this year. In that scenario, 2 upset losses would be underachieving for any playoff contender so I can see where Klatt is coming from.
Possibly. Or we lose like we did to Mid Tenn/FIU. Wasn't a bad squad (6-2 in conference) but point taken.

Your bold is my take. Had he said that, I wouldn't have posted... but the difference is 10-11 games is huge. 10 is allowing for twice as many losses. Things happen in football. 10 wins would be the right step for this program. 11 would be just beautiful. The talent is there but learning how to win/stay focused all year with pressure/hype is all part of the learning curve. (injuries aside)

My opinion. Just too high of an expectation for a program who hasn't had a wining culture since these players were born.

Advertisement
In the last 20+ years, Miami has won 10 games once... They've never won 11. To state 10-2 is an underachievement is just unfair. You can't set the floor at 11 wins. That's preposterous.
He's setting a bar so that if we achieve 11 wins, it's not considered "exceeding expectations" but if we only hit 10, he can then bash Miami again...

...takes tinfoil hat off...

...or maybe people actually see what Miami has put together. When you have Pate plus traditional haters like Klatt, Dinich, and even Finebaum all singing the same tune, it's because they know that—with health—this team has the talent and experience to make noise.

He's setting a bar so that if we achieve 11 wins, it's not considered "exceeding expectations" but if we only hit 10, he can then bash Miami again...

This team has the talent and experience to make noise.
I know the first is in jest but Klatt might be the biggest Miami hater of all the pundits. I'd believe it. Cuck!

Game experience.. sure. Winning experience, not so much.

Coach 'em up and LFG!

I think if you ask the biggest booster right now at Hecht what the expectations are, he'd tell you with what they spent on the roster and our pretty weak schedule, it is what Klatt said. there are times where Klatt is biased and an *** (mostly this), but I think he was spot on with the expectations for us this year. a lot of people expect us to get to 11 wins and winning 10 at a min. anything less than 10 is an absolute failure. also how many teams are picked to go 11-1 10-2 after winning what 13 games combined in 2 years? thats a testament to how good this roster is right now in what is a pretty down conference.

Advertisement
Did someone already claim this is our 1999 or 2000

If not..... #dibs

Too late:

Only one culprit on multiple occasions
This is how I felt about Butch in 1999. I felt like we had been patient, and with the very good recruting despite the scholarship reductions, we had the talent to be very good. The only thing we all felt in 1999 that was holding us back was Butch and his game day coaching. By 1999 he had Schiano and Coker as coordinators, as well as a very good staff behind them including Stoops, and Pagano. The pieces were in place for a good season, which UM had, (not great but good) and of course the springboard for 2000.

I’d rather we skip 1999 and proceed directly to 2000 since we have Cam Ward for one season

2000 all over again.

A team with talent that was one year away from a complete breakout and takeover of college football.

I think if you ask the biggest booster right now at Hecht what the expectations are, he'd tell you with what they spent on the roster and our pretty weak schedule, it is what Klatt said. there are times where Klatt is biased and an *** (mostly this), but I think he was spot on with the expectations for us this year. a lot of people expect us to get to 11 wins and winning 10 at a min. anything less than 10 is an absolute failure. also how many teams are picked to go 11-1 10-2 after winning what 13 games combined in 2 years? thats a testament to how good this roster is right now in what is a pretty down conference.
Spot on. I don't want to go back down this path but scared to see the fallout from boosters if Mario can't win with this roster. Funds will dry up eventually.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Fine...

I could go 1983 or 1985 but I dont want us to lose to Florida game 1.

So Ill go 1981. Howards 3rd year. Beat UF game one. Finish #8 or better.

Take that.

I see it as more than just W-L and a particular ranking.

Mario is in his 3rd year of restoring the kind of UM program that we once had under JJ and Butch.

And in 1998-99-2000, Butch was in the 4th-5th-6th years of coming off probation and turning around the Erickson detour years. And, yes, I know Dennis won two championships, but his program was not the same as what came before or after.

I see it as more than just W-L and a particular ranking.

Mario is in his 3rd year of restoring the kind of UM program that we once had under JJ and Butch.

And in 1998-99-2000, Butch was in the 4th-5th-6th years of coming off probation and turning around the Erickson detour years. And, yes, I know Dennis won two championships, but his program was not the same as what came before or after.
Erickson was gift-wrapped 2 NCs by JJ. Ericksons most impressive feat was putting together the coaching staff thàt he did, after JJ literally took his staff to Dallas with him.

Advertisement
Back