Wiltfong's On3 Cane CBs/Expert Predictions (aka Fong Bombs)

I’ll put out “reasonable” expectations:

Year 3 as myself & @mcnaire2004 have TIRELESSLY provided is when top tier coaches get their teams to the next level (it’s typically by year 2, but no later than yr 3).

-The TVD excuse is gone as we signed the #1 QB in the portal w/ NFL aspirations

-The OC/DC excuse is gone as we hired one of the best DCs in the country last season, & an OC who Mario chose to run the offense

-The Manny’s Players excuse is gone as the vast majority of the players left on this roster were either recruited or signed out of the portal via Mario & staff’s evaluation.

-The OL excuse is gone as this OL is in the makeup of where both Mario & Alex envisioned

Mario is being paid as a top 20 HC in CFB; the resources allocated to him, the investment put into the football side is at an unprecedented level, therefore it is not unreasonable for the season to unfold as such:

1. UF (W) - Why? B/c this board loves to clown Napier, & we’ve now seen UF go 11-14 the past 2 seasons. They’ve lost talent, & even though it’s a road game, it’s an in-state road game. Even though this is a rivalry, on paper we have the superior team, & supposedly the superior coaching staff. Therefore, not predicting a cake walk, but we should leave Gainesville w/ a W. (1-0)

2. FAMU (W) - Why? FCS opponent that lost their best HC
(2-0)

3. Ball State (W) - Why? One of the worst G5 teams in FBS
(3-0)

4. USF (W) - Why? An up & coming G5 team that had a surprise season. Could be a trap game, but the talent is far superior than USF. Maybe close to start, but should be a blow out to end.
(4-0)

5. VT (W) - Why? Even though it’s a short week, & we normally struggle w/ VT on a Thursday/Friday game, but we won’t be at their house; we’ll be home. HRS should be rocking, & VT while improved still have some talent issues by comparison. This could be a trap game, but I would expect us w/ Cam at the helm to lead us to victory.
(5-0)

6. Cal (W) - Why? Cal maybe great at academics, but their football program is not up to snuff. Long road game, and Cal can be Helter Skelter on O, but even if it is a shootout, their Def can’t hang w/ ours. It also helps that our QB is a familiar foe of theirs. In 2 games against them, Ward is 61-99 (.616) for 897 yrds 6 TDs & 3 ints w/o the caliber of talent he’ll be surrounded by. I expect a more balanced attack and leaving Berkeley w/ a W
(6-0)

7. UL (L) - Why? On the road against a team that should remain formidable this season in the ACC against an offensive mastermind that can outwit Guidry’s scheme. We also tend to lag coming off bye weeks in recent yrs, so this is not an unreasonable L
(6-1)

8. FSU (W) - Why? DJU is supposed to stink, FSU is supposed to have lost a lot of talent, FSU is supposed to be the luckiest team to ever win 13 games, Mike Norvell is a hack of a coach. Have I covered all the bases? OK, this is also a home game & a revenge game. Supposedly our talent is much more superior than theirs, particularly at QB1, so this should be a hard fought W
(7-1)

9. Duke (W) - Why? B/c we have zero business losing to Duke, especially w/ our ex coach leading them. This would be one of the biggest slaps to the face I would ever recall, an even bigger slap than the slop job against MTSU
(8-1)

10. GT (L) - Why? GT maybe a sneaky good team this yr, & it’s on the road. They’re a thorn, have been a thorn for sometime. I saw some of their practices & I wouldn’t be surprised if we had a let down game here.
(8-2)

11. WF (W) - Why? This ain’t the Sam the man Hartman lead WF team from a couple of yrs ago. WF is back to being one of the worst teams in the ACC & they are coming to our house. Cam may go for 400+ this game, as their 2ndary ranked as a bottom 3rd unit last season (77th in pass defense).
(9-2)

12. Syracuse (W) - Why? Trap game, sure. Road game in the cold, sure. However, we’re facing a rookie HC taking over a deplorable program over the last 5+ yrs. Do I really need to explain why this should be a W?
(10-2)

This should get us in to the ACCCG, & who knows the results here; but even if we lose in the ACCCG, we should have no problems winning our bowl game if we don’t qualify for the CFP-12.

Final record at minimum this yr should be (11-3)

Advertisement
If this isn’t an 11 win team we ever will have one under Mario. The schedule is a joke the talent is beyond good and besides secondary can match up with just about anyone. Klatt is right for once
It really is hysterical listening to yall talk **** about Mario. like Mario would be the reason we don't have a 11 win team. Y'all literally went from oh my God when Saban quits bama's going to take him from us, to no one wants Mario. We made another typical horrible Miami hire. No need for the dramatics guys. Y'all dudes weren't even this dramatic under anyone except alfraud & the banners.

It would be hysterical if everyone posted on here what they do for work and where they work. I'm just gonna randomly call up people's bosses and ask for reviews. That's yall *** if any of yall bosses gives bad reviews. I'm posting y'all **** on the dirty and paying for a banner my god**** self... Just because I feel that would be poetic justice.

VT sucks.
I'm the bigliest Turkey hater on this board, but if you're a metrician, returning production is a powerful predictor of a team's record. I don't know if returning defensive or offensive production is the stronger one, but it doesn't matter in their case, as they return everything. So, they bring a lot back. But yes, **** VT.

I think that Cal game could be interesting. It's the week after what will likely be a tough game with Va Tech and it's a long trip to the west coast. Could be a big let down game... And I don't think Cal is going to be as bad as ome of you and Cal has a bye week before they play us at home.

Advertisement

Year 3 as myself & @mcnaire2004 have TIRELESSLY provided is when top tier coaches get their teams to the next level (it’s typically by year 2, but no later than yr 3).

-The OC/DC excuse is gone as we hired one of the best DCs in the country last season, & an OC who Mario chose to run the offense

-The Manny’s Players excuse is gone as the vast majority of the players left on this roster were either recruited or signed out of the portal via Mario & staff’s evaluation.

-The OL excuse is gone as this OL is in the makeup of where both Mario & Alex envisioned

Mario is being paid as a top 20 HC in CFB; the resources allocated to him, the investment put into the football side is at an unprecedented level, therefore it is not unreasonable for the season to unfold as such:

1. UF (W) - Why? B/c this board loves to clown Napier, & we’ve now seen UF go 11-14 the past 2 seasons. They’ve lost talent, & even though it’s a road game, it’s an in-state road game. Even though this is a rivalry, on paper we have the superior team, & supposedly the superior coaching staff. Therefore, not predicting a cake walk, but we should leave Gainesville w/ a W. (1-0)

(2-0)

(3-0)

4. USF (W) - Why? An up & coming G5 team that had a surprise season. Could be a trap game, but the talent is far superior than USF. Maybe close to start, but should be a blow out to end.
(4-0)

5. VT (W) - Why? Even though it’s a short week, & we normally struggle w/ VT on a Thursday/Friday game, but we won’t be at their house; we’ll be home. HRS should be rocking, & VT while improved still have some talent issues by comparison. This could be a trap game, but I would expect us w/ Cam at the helm to lead us to victory.
(5-0)

6. Cal (W) - Why? Cal maybe great at academics, but their football program is not up to snuff. Long road game, and Cal can be Helter Skelter on O, but even if it is a shootout, their Def can’t hang w/ ours. It also helps that our QB is a familiar foe of theirs. In 2 games against them, Ward is 61-99 (.616) for 897 yrds 6 TDs & 3 ints w/o the caliber of talent he’ll be surrounded by. I expect a more balanced attack and leaving Berkeley w/ a W
(6-0)

7. UL (L) - Why? On the road against a team that should remain formidable this season in the ACC against an offensive mastermind that can outwit Guidry’s scheme. We also tend to lag coming off bye weeks in recent yrs, so this is not an unreasonable L
(6-1)

8. FSU (W) - Why? DJU is supposed to stink, FSU is supposed to have lost a lot of talent, FSU is supposed to be the luckiest team to ever win 13 games, Mike Norvell is a hack of a coach. Have I covered all the bases? OK, this is also a home game & a revenge game. Supposedly our talent is much more superior than theirs, particularly at QB1, so this should be a hard fought W
(7-1)

9. Duke (W) - Why? B/c we have zero business losing to Duke, especially w/ our ex coach leading them. This would be one of the biggest slaps to the face I would ever recall, an even bigger slap than the slop job against MTSU
(8-1)

10. GT (L) - Why? GT maybe a sneaky good team this yr, & it’s on the road. They’re a thorn, have been a thorn for sometime. I saw some of their practices & I wouldn’t be surprised if we had a let down game here.
(8-2)

11. WF (W) - Why? This ain’t the Sam the man Hartman lead WF team from a couple of yrs ago. WF is back to being one of the worst teams in the ACC & they are coming to our house. Cam may go for 400+ this game, as their 2ndary ranked as a bottom 3rd unit last season (77th in pass defense).
(9-2)

12. Syracuse (W) - Why? Trap game, sure. Road game in the cold, sure. However, we’re facing a rookie HC taking over a deplorable program over the last 5+ yrs. Do I really need to explain why this should be a W?
(10-2)

This should get us in to the ACCCG, & who knows the results here; but even if we lose in the ACCCG, we should have no problems winning our bowl game if we don’t qualify for the CFP-12.

With the ACC not having divisions, and such an unbalanced schedule it wouldnt be good to lose 2 ACC games and expect to get in title game.

VT has an easy schedule. Avoid NC state, FSU, LVille.

NC State has an easy schedule avoid Miami, FSU, LVille

Lville avoids VT, FSU, NC State

With the ACC not having divisions, and such an unbalanced schedule it wouldnt be good to lose 2 ACC games and expect to get in title game.

VT has an easy schedule. Avoid NC state, FSU, LVille.

NC State has an easy schedule avoid Miami, FSU, LVille

Lville avoids VT, FSU, NC State

1. The ACC is not some dominant conference. This is probably the most down the ACC will be. There’s legit ? marks around every team in the upper echelon b/c of the QB position. UNC loses their stud QB, FSU loses their top QB, Clemson have ? marks around their returning QB.

2. I said “it should” get us in to the ACCCG, & even it doesn’t, I’m not tripping. A 10 win regular season should put us in a NY6 bowl game, at worst a Tier 1 bowl birth. Going 10+ wins in year 3 is great momentum for next season.

Advertisement

(2-0)

(3-0)

(4-0)

(5-0)

(6-0)

(6-1)

(7-1)

(8-1)

(8-2)

(9-2)

(10-2)

Only problem I have with this is the bowl game. If we are out of contention I would anticpate a lot of opt outs, and as we witnessed last year, we can't expect backups to play well in a "meaningless" game.

Advertisement
I think that Cal game could be interesting. It's the week after what will likely be a tough game with Va Tech and it's a long trip to the west coast. Could be a big let down game... And I don't think Cal is going to be as bad as ome of you and Cal has a bye week before they play us at home.

NFL teams have a hard enough time traveling across the country. I could only imagine the focus needed by a college team to play at team at home after going from Miami to Cali.

It really is hysterical listening to yall talk **** about Mario. like Mario would be the reason we don't have a 11 win team. Y'all literally went from oh my God when Saban quits bama's going to take him from us, to no one wants Mario. We made another typical horrible Miami hire. No need for the dramatics guys. Y'all dudes weren't even this dramatic under anyone except alfraud & the banners.

It would be hysterical if everyone posted on here what they do for work and where they work. I'm just gonna randomly call up people's bosses and ask for reviews. That's yall *** if any of yall bosses gives bad reviews. I'm posting y'all **** on the dirty and paying for a banner my god**** self... Just because I feel that would be poetic justice.
You’re not wrong and I like the strategy here to prove a point, but keep in mind, in life when the large sums of money that we’re talking about here get thrown around, there becomes expectations. No matter what it is, vacations, trips, automobiles, salaries. The higher the price, the higher the expectations. Most of the people here whose bosses you’d be calling probably aren’t making what CMC is making and definitely don’t have the expectations that have been placed upon him. Again, you’re not wrong in pointing out the relentless trashing, I get it and agree with you!

For example, I might happen to clean out septic tanks for a living, and sure, I might miss a few turds here and there, but I only make $10 per hour, so the expectations placed upon me say that a few wayward turds are acceptable. Now, if I was getting several million a year, the expectations would be that I leave no floaters behind, nada, none! And if I did, I’d expect there to be a **** storm. You see the difference?

Advertisement
Don't want to lose to Louisville again too and that game is right before FSU I believe
We're coming off a bye after Cal, it will be Louisville's 5th straight game with 2 of those being ND and SMU, they will be beat up and tired.

I'm more worried about Cal the game before, cross country travel against a physical back after a tough, emotional Friday night home game against V-Tech.

Supposed to be a culture change, right?
Peace Out Goodbye GIF

May not be. It’s 11/30 vs. 12/30, but the avg. high in Syracuse in late Nov. is around 42 degrees, soooo…
I don’t think the date matters, I’m expecting that dome to be around 70 degrees plus or minus a degree.

Now I can’t confirm what the wet bulb reading will be but I think we’ve got a guy for that around here somewhere!

Advertisement
Back