We have a signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement

Jalen “Brown” Bear !!
1657292666534.gif

Advertisement
Anyone telling you the staff is passing on Brown is lying to you (and potentially lying to themselves). Yes, there are internal questions about just how good a WR he can become, but he is very much a take for this staff. Maybe some message board dudes are "passing on Brown," but nobody at UM with a say in this is passing. They're fighting for the commitment.
I certainly hope so.

Anyone telling you the staff is passing on Brown is lying to you (and potentially lying to themselves). Yes, there are internal questions about just how good a WR he can become, but he is very much a take for this staff. Maybe some message board dudes are "passing on Brown," but nobody at UM with a say in this is passing. They're fighting for the commitment.
This is fair. I personally don’t LOVE him as a prospect - I think he’s barely a four star if his 100m is 11.0, and I like the two we have, Jean, and Hykeem more.

But the staff knows infinitely more than I do and they will have the benefit of the doubt until they prove they shouldn’t.

Advertisement
This is fair. I personally don’t LOVE him as a prospect - I think he’s barely a four star if his 100m is 11.0, and I like the two we have, Jean, and Hykeem more.

But the staff knows infinitely more than I do and they will have the benefit of the doubt until they prove they shouldn’t.
Yeah but u cant take away man speed. That is what makes him highly ranked. U got something few have and something you cant coach. That means if he is a hardworker u can coach up the other things and turn him into a monster. Blowing by everyone is not sometbing everyone can do. I dont know about 5 stars or whatever but he is a top 100 kid. Having to change coverage for something a player does or have is the definition of an elite prospect.

I hear you. I am already very excited to have 2 electric WRs on board in Washington and Joseph. The thing is, we really do need an X receiver and I don't see either of those guys playing out there.

That's where Hykeem, Brown, Jean, and even a dude like Fowles come in. If I had to pick just one, I am also in the camp of people who would pick Hykeem over Brown. I'm greedy, so I'd much rather have both, lol. But even if that doesn't happen, I am confident we're going to be in a great spot at WR when the dust settles.

Advertisement
Yeah but u cant take away man speed. That is what makes him highly ranked. U got something few have and something you cant coach. That means if he is a hardworker u can coach up the other things and turn him into a monster. Blowing by everyone is not sometbing everyone can do. I dont know about 5 stars or whatever but he is a top 100 kid. Having to change coverage for something a player does or have is the definition of an elite prospect.
And I don’t disagree with that theme in general. But I also know it takes more than just running a 10.6 to be a good receiver, otherwise Mark Pope’s 10.5 would have made more of an impact on the field.

In the NFL we often see that the skills that translate the most are route running and hands and toughness.

Obviously we aren’t an NFL team and speed makes a more direct impact in college, but those are still vital skills that JB isn’t strong at in MY opinion.

Advertisement
And I don’t disagree with that theme in general. But I also know it takes more than just running a 10.6 to be a good receiver, otherwise Mark Pope’s 10.5 would have made more of an impact on the field.

In the NFL we often see that the skills that translate the most are route running and hands and toughness.

Obviously we aren’t an NFL team and speed makes a more direct impact in college, but those are still vital skills that JB isn’t strong at in MY opinion.

I'm with you on this. I understand the value of speed, and agree that it cannot be taught. But speed by itself will not get you open against above average coverage. And you can only be a decoy if you cannot catch the ball. If you have speed, can run good routes, and have good hands, that's where you become a real problem.

Whenever I think of useless speed, I think back to when the Raiders drafted Renaldo Nehemiah. He was on the U.S. track ream and ran a 4.1 40. But he didn't pan out because he was basically Roberto Duran and could only run go routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back