Very, very early prediction but I'll put it on the line now

This is where I disagree. There is never a "year to play a guy" unless you're a coach who likes having the "I played a true freshman" excuse in his pocket. Play the best guy.

Make no mistake: we should only play Perry if he's the best option.

When I say "this is the year to play him", I'm talking about for team success. We have a veteran OL, elite skill guys at each position, a great defense and a soft early schedule. He is in a position to succeed if he's legit.

Perry can be "legit" and still not be ready to lead this program to significant success after practicing for a month.

Advertisement
And we won 6 games.

Kaaya was one of the two most productive passers in the ACC as a summer enrollee. If Perry produces like that, with a much better situation around him, I love our chances.

I appreciate the historical analysis, but this is a new era. Kids throw year-round in highly competitive environments. A true freshman started the championship game, and two of the other QBs in the playoffs (Watson and Browning) started as true freshmen.

It's all a projection until Perry gets here, but if he's the real deal the time is now. The other options are uninspring and the team is built for a young quarterback. Elite running back, big-time #1 WR and TE, veteran offensive line. This is the year to break him in. I suspect Richt is already trying to figure out how to build an offense that makes it easy for him.
I only caught part of Richt's interview on WQAM this morning but he said that if they start a young/new guy, they'd use a simplified playbook rather than throw the whole thing at him. Sounds like a plan.

"Simplified" is also simplified for the defense. Simplified is code for throwing your hands up and hoping for the best.

Dude, I'm not arguing with you... I saw what you did to broke and HarrietTurdmanCane in that other thread.

ve7PC9k.gif

Last edited:
What I don't want is to micromangage a true freshman qb. If you start him put him in a position to succeed. Don't become so heavily reliant on the run game. Allow him to throw to get his confidence in his arm higher

But for the bolded section, I would be more persuaded by this. Recent experience tells me losing to F$U is often the start of a losing streak. 2016, 2014, and 2013 were seasons with promise until we lost to f$u and things got ugly. That game is physically and emotionally draining every year, and it seems to me there is a carry-over effect. This year it's the third game of the season. Whoever the coaches put in, he better be mentally tough and prepared to walk into Doak Campbell and bring the pain (I know our defense will be).

My response to that is simple. Do the other two guys give you a great shot against FSU? Shirreffs can't drive the ball, so FSU can sit on short stuff and dare him to beat them deep. Bad matchup.

Rosier is mistake prone and not that talented compared to the FSU defense. They can turn his mistakes into points. And while he has one game of road experience against Duke, that was one of the worst pass defenses in the country.

So I don't think any of the options look that great against FSU at that point of the season. The rest of the schedule shapes up perfect for a true freshman who needs reps, assuming he's got the goods.

Is it at all possible to just wait until Fall camp before we have an all out Civil War lol...

All we know right now is that Richt has named Shirreffs & Rosier the Co-leaders, which means they have the lead.

We won't know who the starter is until the 2nd scrimmage in August.

Aside from that, all we have to go off is what people who have actually seen practice have said, and so far that's literally only 2 people on this board.

Advertisement
What I don't want is to micromangage a true freshman qb. If you start him put him in a position to succeed. Don't become so heavily reliant on the run game. Allow him to throw to get his confidence in his arm higher
If they play Perry and pare the playbook back to the point where he's mainly handing off and throwing one-read half-field passes on 3rd and long, then they'll kill him. If he's the guy then he needs to be able to run a real legit offense. Otherwise, he'll hammer Bethune and get hammered by good teams just like Kaaya did as a freshmans.

Is it at all possible to just wait until Fall camp before we have an all out Civil War lol...

All we know right now is that Richt has named Shirreffs & Rosier the Co-leaders, which means they have the lead.

Aside from that, all we have to go off is what people who have actually seen practice have said, and so far that's literally only 2 people on this board.

Might as well close the board until the fall if all we're going to do is say "wait till fall." It's a spirited but reasonable discussion. Anyone who gets too married to any of these QBs is an idiot. It's arguably even more idiotic to be married to a guy who hasn't even taken a practice snap yet. But that's part of the fun.

[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION]...
The rest of the schedule shapes up perfect for a true freshman who needs reps, assuming he's got the goods.

He will have plenty of live reps before he faces the meat of our schedule.

LOL...no amount of reps vs scrub teams will prepare a true frosh for what they're about to see vs FSU, I don't give a **** how good their HS tape is.

This is a whoooooole other level, these College pass rushes are seconds faster than HS pass rushes...and don't get me started on disguises, this ain't HS where a Cover-3 looks like a Cover-3.

The rest of the schedule shapes up perfect for a true freshman who needs reps, assuming he's got the goods.

LOL...no amount of reps vs scrub teams will prepare a true frosh for what they're about to see vs FSU, I don't give a **** how good their HS tape is.

This is a whoooooole other level, these College pass rushes are seconds faster than HS pass rushes...and don't get me started on disguises, this ain't HS where a Cover-3 looks like a Cover-3.

Fsu is 3rd game of the year. He is saying the schedule is weak before and after that game so the reps would prepare him for the 2nd half of the season.

Advertisement

Might as well close the board until the fall if all we're going to do is say "wait till fall." It's a spirited but reasonable discussion. Anyone who gets too married to any of these QBs is an idiot. It's arguably even more idiotic to be married to a guy who hasn't even taken a practice snap yet. But that's part of the fun.
People just keep speaking in definitives without a whole lot of information...

What's really idiotic is guaranteeing wins/losses in April.

All I'm saying is, this isn't even a debate anymore, just people having an "I'm right" prediction War & that's useless because no one is actually going to change their position based on anything that's being said.

Everybody is dug in their heels & it's really unnecessary...

If Rosier/Shirreffs starts & we lose, everyone who wanted Perry to start will never let y'all hear the end of it & most of yall will just deflect and take personal shots.

If Perry starts & we lose, you guys will have a parade bashing Richt & the fans who wanted Perry to start.

It's just a giant dog chasing it's own tail at this point...

This is where I disagree. There is never a "year to play a guy" unless you're a coach who likes having the "I played a true freshman" excuse in his pocket. Play the best guy.

Make no mistake: we should only play Perry if he's the best option.

When I say "this is the year to play him", I'm talking about for team success. We have a veteran OL, elite skill guys at each position, a great defense and a soft early schedule. He is in a position to succeed if he's legit.

Now you're getting totally ridiculous. He could be completely legit, but like 100% of people in his position in the past, just not ready in his freshman year.

I hear ya', but there's plenty of info out there regarding the success/failure rate of starting a true frosh. And you don't really have to look far, the 2 seasons we either started a true frosh, or where a true frosh shared snaps (Marve/Harris), we've gone 13-13.

Exactly! This is what's leading to so much cognitive dissonance and passive-aggressive posts towards the Perry anticipation and hope. Dudes taking Richt's and some fans optimism for Perry personal. Some have even tried to mask the sour grapes by acting as if their hearts go out to and they feel sorry for Perry due to the supposed pressure of fans and the head coach being excited about his skill set. Any cerebral, heady, gamer like Perry would revel in this sort of supportive environment.

Dudes act like they hated Golden, but kinda miss and want Richt to take on his playing it close to vest ways. No! Richt is a gamer like Perry. No more almost beating FSU and barely beating Duke. It's time to dominate UNC and VTech. Yall signed up for a man as our coach, so don't get scared now. Richt knows that the current QBs will fold against FSU. And it isn't because of their stats during some scrimmage, it's probably because of where he views them mentally (moxie, poise, confidence). The lunch date was to gauge the type of dude Kosi is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
But for the bolded section, I would be more persuaded by this. Recent experience tells me losing to F$U is often the start of a losing streak. 2016, 2014, and 2013 were seasons with promise until we lost to f$u and things got ugly. That game is physically and emotionally draining every year, and it seems to me there is a carry-over effect. This year it's the third game of the season. Whoever the coaches put in, he better be mentally tough and prepared to walk into Doak Campbell and bring the pain (I know our defense will be).

My response to that is simple. Do the other two guys give you a great shot against FSU? Shirreffs can't drive the ball, so FSU can sit on short stuff and dare him to beat them deep. Bad matchup.

Rosier is mistake prone and not that talented compared to the FSU defense. They can turn his mistakes into points. And while he has one game of road experience against Duke, that was one of the worst pass defenses in the country.

So I don't think any of the options look that great against FSU at that point of the season. The rest of the schedule shapes up perfect for a true freshman who needs reps, assuming he's got the goods.

Jacory was a freshman the last time we beat FSU. It was at Doak in his 3rd career start. Exactly the same setup for Perry.

Many say Perry is the best QB to come out of Florida in a very long time. He broke all of Culpepper's records. He is allusive and can flick a ball down field 70 yards or so like a dart. He has good instincts and a good tendency of keeping his eyes down field and not panicking no matter what is going on around him.
I don't care what his competition was like or what past Frosh Qb's have done.... ... he has tools to work with and can be a weapon year one in my opinion.

If Richt thinks he is ready then I think we all have to say let the kid play. We must remember Richt and his staff are not looking at it as fans do. "We have to win this year X amount of games or it is a waste. "
He has a plan and a process and a vision.

But the proof will be in the pudding as they say. Fall practices will prove who the best player is for the position. And if someone else looks better then so be it. That player will be out there come September.

Last edited:

Jacory was a freshman the last time we beat FSU. It was at Doak in his 3rd career start. Exactly the same setup for Perry.

Was not a freshmans

Advertisement
Exactly! This is what's leading to so much cognitive dissonance and passive-aggressive posts towards the Perry anticipation and hope. Dudes taking Richt's and some fans optimism for Perry personal. Some have even tried to mask the sour grapes by acting as if their hearts go out to and they feel sorry for Perry due to the supposed pressure of fans and the head coach being excited about his skill set. Any cerebral, heady, gamer like Perry would revel in this sort of supportive environment.

Dudes act like they hated Golden, but kinda miss and want Richt to take on his playing it close to vest ways. No! Richt is a gamer like Perry. No more almost beating FSU and barely beating Duke. It's time to dominate UNC and VTech. Yall signed up for a man as our coach, so don't get scared now. Richt knows that the current QBs will fold against FSU. And it isn't because of their stats during some scrimmage, it's probably because of where he views them mentally (moxie, poise, confidence). The lunch date was to gauge the type of dude Kosi is.

IMG_4017.GIF

Fsu is 3rd game of the year. He is saying the schedule is weak before and after that game so the reps would prepare him for the 2nd half of the season.

Georgia Tech has enough athletes and coaching to fvck a true freshmans QB up. They were knocking Kaaya around pretty good last year.

What's really idiotic is guaranteeing wins/losses in April.

All I'm saying is, this isn't even a debate anymore, just people having an "I'm right" prediction War & that's useless because no one is actually going to change their position based on anything that's being said.

Everybody is dug in their heels & it's really unnecessary...

If Rosier/Shirreffs starts & we lose, everyone who wanted Perry to start will never let y'all hear the end of it & most of yall will just deflect and take personal shots.

If Perry starts & we lose, you guys will have a parade bashing Richt & the fans who wanted Perry to start.

It's just a giant dog chasing it's own tail at this point...

I don't care about the fans. If Rick starts the wrong guy or can't do anything with any of the QBs we have, then I'll blame him.

Listen, its pretty simple! The guys there currently are not getting it done. So unless a grad transfer magically appears, It looks like Perry will show up and win the job. You are talking about a guy who was CMR's guy. So a QB guru chose this kid to lead him back to the big stage. This kid has also participated in all kinds of 7 on 7 tournaments against all of the top talent around Florida, Something I don't believe any of our current qb's did. Whats the worst that can happen, we play him, he struggles, we get beat by FSU all while we start off 6-1 during his struggling stage? Cause if our defense is as advertised on this board, we should probably win every game if we can score 20. The kid basically missed 3 weeks of practice!

Advertisement
Back