Very, very early prediction but I'll put it on the line now

Everyone on this board is underestimating just how hard it would be for a non-early-enrollee true freshmans to start in a major P5 program. The amount of work, the amount of study, the amount of physical development, the amount of mental preparation, it is off the charts.

Find me one true freshmans starter from a P5 program in the last 20 years whose team won at least 10 games.

I'll hang up and wait for your answers.

I've been asking for this info for the past several months. No one has anything. Perry would have been a good starter in Rick's first year when the expectations were low and the team wasn't expecting to win anything. Losing 4 or 5 games this year with this team would really suck ***.

Not to mention, if you make the decision to start a true freshmans QB it's tough to yank him if he sucks because you run the risk of ruining him. If you start a true freshmans who practiced for a month you're basically accepting that you're going to struggle with him.

Terrell pryor in 2008 didnt enroll until august 1st. He didnt start right away but did start the last 9 games of the season. Ohio state went 10-3 that year. Tom savage in 2009 didnt enroll early and started all 12 games. Rutgers went 9-4 that year and savage eventually transferred to pitt.

More proof that it's NEVER been done.

Advertisement
Perry will be the starter game 1 end of story.

You simply cannot beat FSU with Malik Rosier or Evan Sherrifs as your starter.

At least you have a chance with Perry.

Richt had Nkosi Perry as the best player on Miam's recruiting board regardless of position. That is how good Richt thinks he is.

No reason a kid that talented can't come in and be better than the average QB's already on the roster.

And we won 6 games.

Kaaya was one of the two most productive passers in the ACC as a summer enrollee. If Perry produces like that, with a much better situation around him, I love our chances.

I appreciate the historical analysis, but this is a new era. Kids throw year-round in highly competitive environments. A true freshman started the championship game, and two of the other QBs in the playoffs (Watson and Browning) started as true freshmen.

It's all a projection until Perry gets here, but if he's the real deal the time is now. The other options are uninspring and the team is built for a young quarterback. Elite running back, big-time #1 WR and TE, veteran offensive line. This is the year to break him in. I suspect Richt is already trying to figure out how to build an offense that makes it easy for him.

I am a firm believer that you play to win the games in front of your face. Whoever on your roster gives you the best opportunity to win this season is who you play. If that's a true freshman, a transfer, a veteran, whoever.

The problem is that not one of these guys has really separated themselves in a meaningful way. So if Perry comes in and is at least equally productive (even if it ain't pretty), then the future is now, start him. There is no reason to hide him on the bench just because he's a true freshman, losing out on experience to a guy you fully expect to lose the job in 2018. Especially with this schedule and the help he has elsewhere on the roster.

At this point, it looks like our QBs are 7 or 8 win guys, all else equal.

Advertisement
And we won 6 games.

Kaaya was one of the two most productive passers in the ACC as a summer enrollee. If Perry produces like that, with a much better situation around him, I love our chances.

I appreciate the historical analysis, but this is a new era. Kids throw year-round in highly competitive environments. A true freshman started the championship game, and two of the other QBs in the playoffs (Watson and Browning) started as true freshmen.

It's all a projection until Perry gets here, but if he's the real deal the time is now. The other options are uninspring and the team is built for a young quarterback. Elite running back, big-time #1 WR and TE, veteran offensive line. This is the year to break him in. I suspect Richt is already trying to figure out how to build an offense that makes it easy for him.

I don't see how the comparison to Hurts is valid when he was an EE which Perry won't be. He was also at about 215 lbs for that USC game. We're hoping Perry gets to 190. Perry's competition was weak as well. He played one team with any talent his senior year and his team lost twice. The step up will be big. Kaaya played Serra high school and Adoree Jackson twice a year his final two years I believe. So he faced multiple D1 prospects in his league. Oaks Christian and Notre Dame(Sherman Oaks) was on their schedule as well.

As far as Browning and Watson are concerned they were considered better prospects than Perry for as much as that is worth. Watson and Browning were both EEs too.

Last edited:
Brad Kayaa vs. Notre Dame 2016 LOSS

288 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT 61.9% COMP

True Freshman Shane Buchele 2016 (1st Career Start) vs. Notre Dame WIN

280 yards, 2 TD and 1 INT 61.5% COMP

Please stop with the BS. Buchele put up better numbers than Kayaa against same opponent and won game. You can add that Buchele didn't have Njoku, Coley and Richards to throw to. Buchele also had a disaster of a coaching staff to deal with.

Nkosi Perry will start every game next year.

Everyone on this board is underestimating just how hard it would be for a non-early-enrollee true freshmans to start in a major P5 program. The amount of work, the amount of study, the amount of physical development, the amount of mental preparation, it is off the charts.

Find me one true freshmans starter from a P5 program in the last 20 years whose team won at least 10 games.

I've been asking for this info for the past several months. No one has anything. Perry would have been a good starter in Rick's first year when the expectations were low and the team wasn't expecting to win anything. Losing 4 or 5 games this year with this team would really suck ***.

Not to mention, if you make the decision to start a true freshmans QB it's tough to yank him if he sucks because you run the risk of ruining him. If you start a true freshmans who practiced for a month you're basically accepting that you're going to struggle with him.

This! Christ, it's THIS! Why is this so hard for people to comprehend.

I'm going to be really effing annoyed if we throw Perry out there, and then lose 4-5 games because of having a completely green QB, although we have a championship caliber defense. Starting Perry means throwing away this season and wasting the best defense we've had around here since 2003-2004, and that's the bottom line.

All we need is for Rosier Sherrifs or Allison to be our "Trent Dilfer" or "Brad Johnson" for this season. We only need a game manager that can limit mistakes and hit a few open passes, so we can ride the running game and the defense as far as they'll take us. We can win the coastal if we do it this way.

Advertisement
If Shane Buchele had Miami's defense last year he would have won 8-9 games.

Nkosi Perry is considerably better than Shane Buchele.

We lose 4-5 games with Rosier.

He is terrible.

Start the more talented player always.

And we won 6 games.

I don't see how the comparison to Hurts is valid when he was an EE which Perry won't be. He was also at about 215 lbs for that USC game. We're hoping Perry gets to 190. Perry's competition was weak as well. He played one team with any talent his senior year and his team lost twice. The step up will be big. Kaaya played Serra high school and Adoree Jackson twice a year his final two years I believe. So he faced multiple D1 prospects in his league. Oaks Christian and Notre Dame(Sherman Oaks) was on their schedule as well.

As far as Browning and Watson are concerned they were considered better prospects than Perry for as much as that is worth. Watson and Browning were both EEs too.

Of course it's not valid.

Anybody that says it is, just doesn't know college football.

And you can start comparing the types of quarterbacks they are and what their strengths and weaknesses are. Two completely different types of quarterbacks (Perry and Hurts)

Advertisement
If we start Perry this season it's going to be a DISASTER.

That dude is no where near ready to be a starting QB at a P5 school, I don't care how talented he is. We will basically throw away this season if we start Perry and I will be seriously ****ed. This dude is coming in late May! Kaaya did it but he was about 20 times more polished than Perry, the offense he ran in HS was more sophisticated, AND he had a private QB coach that had been working with him for 4 years at that point. Perry plays against marginal competition and runs a very basic offense

Roll Rosier out there this year as a game manager with some wheels, allow Perry to RS and grow, and then if he can win it in 2018 hand him the keys and let him go.

Rosier gives us the best chance to win THIS YEAR.

If you want a game manager then you choose Evan. Rosier has thrown 6 picks this spring. He is all over the the chart with his accuracy. Evan isn't any better but he doesn't make the mistakes and checks down to make safe throws. That can hurt us but who knows. If Perry comes in here and just schools our qb's why shouldn't he start? I think we should leave it to actual coaches and not some fan who watches highlight tapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! Christ, it's THIS! Why is this so hard for people to comprehend.

I'm going to be really effing annoyed if we throw Perry out there, and then lose 4-5 games because of having a completely green QB, although we have a championship caliber defense. Starting Perry means throwing away this season and wasting the best defense we've had around here since 2003-2004, and that's the bottom line.

All we need is for Rosier Sherrifs or Allison to be our "Trent Dilfer" or "Brad Johnson" for this season. We only need a game manager that can limit mistakes and hit a few open passes, so we can ride the running game and the defense as far as they'll take us. We can win the coastal if we do it this way.

Dilfer is better than rosier and sheriffs. Good chance we would lose 4 with one of them starting too.

Advertisement
It is not as hard as some are making it out to be. Brad Kaaya did it. He already has the playbook with the D we should have, it won't be on his shoulders to win games.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
And we won 6 games.

/Inserts 2014 GT photo of our "goal line" defense with LBs along the back of endzone

Didn't we win 9 with the same GT goal line defense and a more experienced QB? I think we did.

People have completely lost their minds.

They're expecting something that has NEVER been done.

A pass first, non-dual threat true freshmans QB to come in and win 10-11 games.

Look, maybe Perry is the first QB ever in the history of the world to do it. I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't expect it.

Hurts isn't even an answer to my question because he enrolled in January. And Sabag didn't even want to start Hurts. He started the other guy who **** himself.

The EE thing has merit but is way overplayed. At QB, most true freshman starters are EEs because most true freshman with a chance to start enroll early. Perry's "spring practice" would be our incredibly soft early schedule. Aside from FSU, which will be a tough game to win with any of the three QBs, we have:

Bethune Cookman
Arkansas State
Toledo
Duke
BYE
Georgia Tech
Syracuse

So you have three minor league teams, a perennially crappy Georgia Tech defense, and two of the absolute worst defenses in the country with Duke and Syracuse.

He will have plenty of live reps before he faces the meat of our schedule. If there were ever a year to play a guy like Perry, this is it.

It is not as hard as some are making it out to be. Brad Kaaya did it. He already has the playbook with the D we should have, it won't be on his shoulders to win games.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
And we won 6 games.

Horrible coaching staff and ****** defense.

Same horrible staff and ****** defense that won 9 games with arguably less talent but a more experienced starter. Kaaya never pulls off a couple of the late wins Morris did.

Advertisement
Back