Very, very early prediction but I'll put it on the line now

Everyone on this board is underestimating just how hard it would be for a non-early-enrollee true freshmans to start in a major P5 program. The amount of work, the amount of study, the amount of physical development, the amount of mental preparation, it is off the charts.

Find me one true freshmans starter from a P5 program in the last 20 years whose team won at least 10 games.

I'll hang up and wait for your answers.

I've been asking for this info for the past several months. No one has anything. Perry would have been a good starter in Rick's first year when the expectations were low and the team wasn't expecting to win anything. Losing 4 or 5 games this year with this team would really suck ***.

Not to mention, if you make the decision to start a true freshmans QB it's tough to yank him if he sucks because you run the risk of ruining him. If you start a true freshmans who practiced for a month you're basically accepting that you're going to struggle with him.

People have completely lost their minds.

They're expecting something that has NEVER been done.

A pass first, non-dual threat true freshmans QB to come in and win 10-11 games.

Look, maybe Perry is the first QB ever in the history of the world to do it. I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't expect it.

Hurts isn't even an answer to my question because he enrolled in January. And Sabag didn't even want to start Hurts. He started the other guy who **** himself.

We are not winning a championship this year. You was just in other threads talking about how bad sheriffs and rosier has been but you are scared to start a young qb?

Advertisement
If we start Perry this season it's going to be a DISASTER.

That dude is no where near ready to be a starting QB at a P5 school, I don't care how talented he is. We will basically throw away this season if we start Perry and I will be seriously ****ed. This dude is coming in late May! Kaaya did it but he was about 20 times more polished than Perry, the offense he ran in HS was more sophisticated, AND he had a private QB coach that had been working with him for 4 years at that point. Perry plays against marginal competition and runs a very basic offense

Roll Rosier out there this year as a game manager with some wheels, allow Perry to RS and grow, and then if he can win it in 2018 hand him the keys and let him go.

Rosier gives us the best chance to win THIS YEAR.

If you want a game manager then you choose Evan. Rosier has thrown 6 picks this spring. He is all over the the chart with his accuracy. Evan isn't any better but he doesn't make the mistakes and checks down to make safe throws. That can hurt us but who knows. If Perry comes in here and just schools our qb's why shouldn't he start? I think we should leave it to actual coaches and not some fan who watches highlight tapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's nowhere you can turn for comfort - we are FVCKED at QB.

Shireefs - game manager w/o the managing part.
Rosier - pudgy looking ******* that can't get enough of throwing INT's
Allison - Can't beat out two guys whose only D1 offer came from James Coley
Weldon - needs a RS
Perry - Rail thin QB who played average competition in HS and will have been on campus for a whopping 6 months by the time the season ends.

God help us.

Everyone on this board is underestimating just how hard it would be for a non-early-enrollee true freshmans to start in a major P5 program. The amount of work, the amount of study, the amount of physical development, the amount of mental preparation, it is off the charts.

Find me one true freshmans starter from a P5 program in the last 20 years whose team won at least 10 games.

I've been asking for this info for the past several months. No one has anything. Perry would have been a good starter in Rick's first year when the expectations were low and the team wasn't expecting to win anything. Losing 4 or 5 games this year with this team would really suck ***.

Not to mention, if you make the decision to start a true freshmans QB it's tough to yank him if he sucks because you run the risk of ruining him. If you start a true freshmans who practiced for a month you're basically accepting that you're going to struggle with him.

Terrell pryor in 2008 didnt enroll until august 1st. He didnt start right away but did start the last 9 games of the season. Ohio state went 10-3 that year. Tom savage in 2009 didnt enroll early and started all 12 games. Rutgers went 9-4 that year and savage eventually transferred to pitt.

I appreciate your effort, but Pryor didn't start all year, and I'm not looking for 9-4. This ACC will also be a lot more rigorous than the Big Least Savage faced.

And we won 6 games.

Kaaya was one of the two most productive passers in the ACC as a summer enrollee. If Perry produces like that, with a much better situation around him, I love our chances.

I appreciate the historical analysis, but this is a new era. Kids throw year-round in highly competitive environments. A true freshman started the championship game, and two of the other QBs in the playoffs (Watson and Browning) started as true freshmen.

It's all a projection until Perry gets here, but if he's the real deal the time is now. The other options are uninspring and the team is built for a young quarterback. Elite running back, big-time #1 WR and TE, veteran offensive line. This is the year to break him in. I suspect Richt is already trying to figure out how to build an offense that makes it easy for him.

Don't hit me with empty stats. You watched the games. Kaaya wasn't beating anyone decent that year and was wholly ineffective against every good team except FSU.

Fact is we won 6 games, and a lot of that was on the most important position in sports.

Advertisement
And we won 6 games.

Kaaya was one of the two most productive passers in the ACC as a summer enrollee. If Perry produces like that, with a much better situation around him, I love our chances.

I appreciate the historical analysis, but this is a new era. Kids throw year-round in highly competitive environments. A true freshman started the championship game, and two of the other QBs in the playoffs (Watson and Browning) started as true freshmen.

It's all a projection until Perry gets here, but if he's the real deal the time is now. The other options are uninspring and the team is built for a young quarterback. Elite running back, big-time #1 WR and TE, veteran offensive line. This is the year to break him in. I suspect Richt is already trying to figure out how to build an offense that makes it easy for him.
I only caught part of Richt's interview on WQAM this morning but he said that if they start a young/new guy, they'd use a simplified playbook rather than throw the whole thing at him. Sounds like a plan.

"Simplified" is also simplified for the defense. Simplified is code for throwing your hands up and hoping for the best.

It is not as hard as some are making it out to be. Brad Kaaya did it. He already has the playbook with the D we should have, it won't be on his shoulders to win games.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
And we won 6 games.

/Inserts 2014 GT photo of our "goal line" defense with LBs along the back of endzone

Didn't we win 9 with the same GT goal line defense and a more experienced QB? I think we did.

None of the teams they beat that year won over 7 games. Every team they lost to won over 7.

And we won 6 games.

Don't hit me with empty stats. You watched the games. Kaaya wasn't beating anyone decent that year and was wholly ineffective against every good team except FSU.

Fact is we won 6 games, and a lot of that was on the most important position in sports.

Kaaya wasnt beating anyone at any point in his career..... true freshman Jacory Harris wouldve beaten Louisville.

N'kosi Perry as a true freshman can beat any team that Brad Kaaya has ever beaten already right out of high school.

Advertisement

Terrell pryor in 2008 didnt enroll until august 1st. He didnt start right away but did start the last 9 games of the season. Ohio state went 10-3 that year. Tom savage in 2009 didnt enroll early and started all 12 games. Rutgers went 9-4 that year and savage eventually transferred to pitt.

I appreciate your effort, but Pryor didn't start all year, and I'm not looking for 9-4. This ACC will also be a lot more rigorous than the Big Least Savage faced.

What? Unc will be a 7 win team this year. Pitt 7 win team. Vt might be starting a true freshmen qb. The coastal is going to be bad this year. Perfect time to start a young qb.

At this point it's hard to say what's going to happen. We have to pray that this defense can hold up all season and that the offense can at least put up 21 pats a game to give us a shot to win.

I don't see how the comparison to Hurts is valid when he was an EE which Perry won't be. He was also at about 215 lbs for that USC game. We're hoping Perry gets to 190. Perry's competition was weak as well. He played one team with any talent his senior year and his team lost twice. The step up will be big. Kaaya played Serra high school and Adoree Jackson twice a year his final two years I believe. So he faced multiple D1 prospects in his league. Oaks Christian and Notre Dame(Sherman Oaks) was on their schedule as well.

As far as Browning and Watson are concerned they were considered better prospects than Perry for as much as that is worth. Watson and Browning were both EEs too.

The EE thing has merit but is way overplayed. At QB, most true freshman starters are EEs because most true freshman with a chance to start enroll early. Perry's "spring practice" would be our incredibly soft early schedule. Aside from FSU, which will be a tough game to win with any of the three QBs, we have:

Bethune Cookman
Arkansas State
Toledo
Duke
BYE
Georgia Tech
Syracuse

So you have three minor league teams, a perennially crappy Georgia Tech defense, and two of the absolute worst defenses in the country with Duke and Syracuse.

He will have plenty of live reps before he faces the meat of our schedule. If there were ever a year to play a guy like Perry, this is it.

This is where I disagree. There is never a "year to play a guy" unless you're a coach who likes having the "I played a true freshman" excuse in his pocket. Play the best guy. Your team will know if you're not playing the best guy and will resent you for it. You're also operating under the assumption that Perry is destined to be good so getting him seasoning early is best. Under this thought process if Kaaya had torn up his knee in the spring last year would you be pushing for Jack Allison? A guy who can't even be called the #3 by himself in his second spring.

Why we should assume Perry's different from all the other 4-star QBs who aren't ready as true freshman hasn't been explained to me. Is he a football savant off the field?

If he earns it? Fine. But none of this "If it is close go with the young guy" stuff. You play the best guy.

And we won 6 games.

I only caught part of Richt's interview on WQAM this morning but he said that if they start a young/new guy, they'd use a simplified playbook rather than throw the whole thing at him. Sounds like a plan.

"Simplified" is also simplified for the defense. Simplified is code for throwing your hands up and hoping for the best.

You thought Richt was conservative last season? He's about to show you another level this year.

Advertisement

People have completely lost their minds.

They're expecting something that has NEVER been done.

A pass first, non-dual threat true freshmans QB to come in and win 10-11 games.

Look, maybe Perry is the first QB ever in the history of the world to do it. I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't expect it.

Hurts isn't even an answer to my question because he enrolled in January. And Sabag didn't even want to start Hurts. He started the other guy who **** himself.

We are not winning a championship this year. You was just in other threads talking about how bad sheriffs and rosier has been but you are scared to start a young qb?

If we can't play for the ACC championship this year, then it'll be a colossal failure. No one said anything about a NC.

So we lost seven games because of a true freshman who led the ACC in TDs, yards-per-attempt, QB rating and only threw 12 INTs against 26 TDs?

And then you dismiss the true freshmen who actually won (with good teams) because they were EEs. Did Kaaya lose games because he wasn't an EE? Or was it because his coaching staff and defense were a national embarrassment?

It is not as hard as some are making it out to be. Brad Kaaya did it. He already has the playbook with the D we should have, it won't be on his shoulders to win games.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
And we won 6 games.

/Inserts 2014 GT photo of our "goal line" defense with LBs along the back of endzone

Didn't we win 9 with the same GT goal line defense and a more experienced QB? I think we did.

None of the teams they beat that year won over 7 games. Every team they lost to won over 7.

And we faced Murderer's Row every week when we won 6 with Kaaya? You're arguing just to argue. You're sounding like those political pundits arguing on the 24 hour news channels. Find me a summer enrollee who has won ANYTHING of consequence in the HISTORY of college football.

Everyone hates Weldon now, but he came in with a great understanding of the game and the position. He immediately **** himself when facing our defense and having to lead a bunch of 20 year old men in a college huddle.

Maybe Perry is impervious to that, unlike any other QB in the history of college football. Odds are that he'll struggle significantly with the incredible increase in the speed of the game and the responsibility of leading grown men who expect to have a great season and are probably pulling for a QB they've been teammates with for a couple years to lead them. You guys aren't giving enough credence to the mental aspect of leading a P5 marquee program with huge expectations this year.

We'll see. I'll pull hard for whoever plays. If it's Perry I'll be his biggest fan hoping he can pull off something no one else ever has.

Advertisement

So we lost seven games because of a true freshman who led the ACC in TDs, yards-per-attempt, QB rating and only threw 12 INTs against 26 TDs?

And then you dismiss the true freshmen who actually won (with good teams) because they were EEs. Did Kaaya lose games because he wasn't an EE? Or was it because his coaching staff and defense were a national embarrassment?

We lost 7 games for a variety of factors including playing a true freshmans late enrollee QB who wasn't ready to play good teams.

Now go ahead and hammer away on stats or the FSU close loss. Just remember that Chris Rix came within an eyelash of beating the best team in the history of college football in a rivalry game we should have won by 30.

7 losses is 7 losses. And QB is the most important position in sports. Like I said before, we won 9 with all the other ****** factors being pretty much the same.

This is where I disagree. There is never a "year to play a guy" unless you're a coach who likes having the "I played a true freshman" excuse in his pocket. Play the best guy.

Make no mistake: we should only play Perry if he's the best option.

When I say "this is the year to play him", I'm talking about for team success. We have a veteran OL, elite skill guys at each position, a great defense and a soft early schedule. He is in a position to succeed if he's legit.

I don't see how the comparison to Hurts is valid when he was an EE which Perry won't be. He was also at about 215 lbs for that USC game. We're hoping Perry gets to 190. Perry's competition was weak as well. He played one team with any talent his senior year and his team lost twice. The step up will be big. Kaaya played Serra high school and Adoree Jackson twice a year his final two years I believe. So he faced multiple D1 prospects in his league. Oaks Christian and Notre Dame(Sherman Oaks) was on their schedule as well.

As far as Browning and Watson are concerned they were considered better prospects than Perry for as much as that is worth. Watson and Browning were both EEs too.

The EE thing has merit but is way overplayed. At QB, most true freshman starters are EEs because most true freshman with a chance to start enroll early. Perry's "spring practice" would be our incredibly soft early schedule. Aside from FSU, which will be a tough game to win with any of the three QBs, we have:

Bethune Cookman
Arkansas State
Toledo
Duke
BYE
Georgia Tech
Syracuse

So you have three minor league teams, a perennially crappy Georgia Tech defense, and two of the absolute worst defenses in the country with Duke and Syracuse.

He will have plenty of live reps before he faces the meat of our schedule. If there were ever a year to play a guy like Perry, this is it.

But for the bolded section, I would be more persuaded by this. Recent experience tells me losing to F$U is often the start of a losing streak. 2016, 2014, and 2013 were seasons with promise until we lost to f$u and things got ugly. That game is physically and emotionally draining every year, and it seems to me there is a carry-over effect. This year it's the third game of the season. Whoever the coaches put in, he better be mentally tough and prepared to walk into Doak Campbell and bring the pain (I know our defense will be).

And we won 6 games.

And we faced Murderer's Row every week when we won 6 with Kaaya? You're arguing just to argue. You're sounding like those political pundits arguing on the 24 hour news channels. Find me a summer enrollee who has won ANYTHING of consequence in the HISTORY of college football.

Everyone hates Weldon now, but he came in with a great understanding of the game and the position. He immediately **** himself when facing our defense and having to lead a bunch of 20 year old men in a college huddle.

Maybe Perry is impervious to that, unlike any other QB in the history of college football. Odds are that he'll struggle significantly with the incredible increase in the speed of the game and the responsibility of leading grown men who expect to have a great season and are probably pulling for a QB they've been teammates with for a couple years to lead them. You guys aren't giving enough credence to the mental aspect of leading a P5 marquee program with huge expectations this year.

We'll see. I'll pull hard for whoever plays. If it's Perry I'll be his biggest fan hoping he can pull off something no one else ever has.

Kaaya freshmen year they played 6 teams that won at least 9 games that year. So the schedule was tougher than the 2013 season.

Weldon isnt on perry level. Weldon wasnt even all that great in high school. He threw just as many picks as tds last year. Not suprised he struggled.

Sheriffs and rosier are ****ting the bed vs this defense so whats going to happen when they play fsu and vt? Its not going to be pretty i can tell you that.

Advertisement
Back