Very, very early prediction but I'll put it on the line now

Little fact: If Perry was white everyone would be looking at his 1 yard per carry against weak HS competition as a red flag wondering if we're stuck with another lead-footed QB. Instead, we have dopes mentioning Lamar Jackson and Deshawn Watson.

Anybody who watches Perry's clips can see that he is an extremely quick, coordinated athlete. I've always compared him to Teddy Bridgewater, who also didn't put up huge stats as a runner. He is a run-to-throw guy.

I like Perry's potential. But unless he's a savant there is zero chance he enrolled in the summer and is comfortable enough running the whole offense to be the starter. Zero chance.

Nobody is going to be able to run the whole offense like Kaaya did. Rosier is smart but makes a lot of dumb decisions. He also struggles in the pocket due to his height and lack of accuracy. Allison is more of a talented gunslinger than a cerebral guy. Weldon and Perry are freshmen. Shireffs is probably smart enough to do it but we haven't seen him throw the ball well enough.

If you're going to pare down the offense, you might as well do it for the most talented guy. We don't know who that is yet, but it could be one of the freshmen.
Couple things. You mention Teddy The Crank didn't put up big run numbers at Northwestern. Perry with 90 yards on 56 carries wasn't in the stratosphere of big running numbers. What were Teddy's rushing numbers?

Second, you say no one is going to be able to run the whole offense. If you've been here two years you **** sure should be able to handle the book. Rosier might not run things Kaaya ran, but Kaaya couldn't run things that Rosier can.

And I can guarantee you Shirreffs knows the playbook inside out.

There is paring back. And then there would be running basically a shell of the book, which is what you would have to do with Perry unless he's a super fast learning savant.

Teddy's senior year at MNW he ran 82 times for 223 yards for a 2.7 ypc average. Did have 8 rushing TDs though - redzone read-options maybe?

Since the comparison was made, I'ma put Teddy and N'Kosi's senior stats side by side:

Passing -
Bridgewater: 196/289 2606 yards (13.3 ypc), 22 TDs, 2 INTs
Perry: 106/164 1778 yards (16.8 ypc), 24 TDs, 4 INTs

Rushing -
Bridgewater: 82 carries, 223 yards (2.7 ypc), 8 TDs
Perry: 53 carries, 97 yards (1.8 ypc), 4 TDs

(stats from maxpreps)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Able, I think we're debating foolishness with the "quickness" thing. Perry looks more elusive when comparing both kid's footage, but Cade looks pretty explosive with his short burst quickness when he runs.

Neither guy is a burner. Luckily, both give us some much needed mobility.

One more comparison - here's Weldon's senior stats from the same website:

169/276 3135 yards (18.6 ypc), 19 TDs, 11 INTs
96 carries, 368 yards (3.8 ypc), 11 TDs

Yeah, I'm not seeing how Perry is clearly quicker either.

Really? Where did Cade show any of the elusiveness in this clip?

[video=youtube;pZ6P1FVKJ0k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ6P1FVKJ0k[/video]

I think Cade runs well, but he doesn't look nearly as quick to me.

Two things watching that video:

1) Many of those scramble-ball plays could get Perry broken in half in college
2) Do his WRs only run streaks?

5:05, look at the rope He throws from the far hash.

Everybody's gonna be open with Perry at QB:

[video=youtube;D2_qKaRC2s0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_qKaRC2s0&t=319s[/video]

Advertisement
Couple things. You mention Teddy The Crank didn't put up big run numbers at Northwestern. Perry with 90 yards on 56 carries wasn't in the stratosphere of big running numbers. What were Teddy's rushing numbers?

Second, you say no one is going to be able to run the whole offense. If you've been here two years you **** sure should be able to handle the book. Rosier might not run things Kaaya ran, but Kaaya couldn't run things that Rosier can.

There is paring back. And then there would be running basically a shell of the book, which is what you would have to do with Perry unless he's a super fast learning savant.

Bridgewater's senior year he ran for 223 yards on 82 carries (2.7 ypc). He ran more earlier in his HS career, but by the time he got to Louisville he wasn't running at all. His career rushing total for three years in college was 170 yards.

Rosier is going to need an offense tailored to his athleticism with half-field reads because he can't stand in the pocket and distribute. That's what we did for him against Duke. If we're going to do that, let's do it for the most talented guy (whoever that is).

So quick and elusive that he ran for 90 yards on 56 carries against mostly terrible competition.

He also ran for 40 in an all-star game.

He looks like a good athlete to me on tape.
He looks like a good athlete on his highlight reel. So do most guys.

I'm confounded as to how a good, quick elusive runner can go for 90 yards on 56 carries on the season against mostly poor competition.

We're so starved for athleticism at the QB spot that most are willing to completely overlook Perry's actual production as a runner, which is horrible.

I think he'll be a good QB for us, but I don't see this running ability you guys see. Looks a little like Kenny Kelly in that regard although Kenny was a much faster runner. Kenny was reluctant, and he was frail. A shoulder separation waiting to happen whenever he decided to run.

every single year a large portion of this board falls in love with the incoming true freshman QB. It truly amazes me, previously I thought it was due to not having a solid qb competition but this year proves thats wrong with whom we have.

Advertisement

Bridgewater's senior year he ran for 223 yards on 82 carries (2.7 ypc). He ran more earlier in his HS career, but by the time he got to Louisville he wasn't running at all. His career rushing total for three years in college was 170 yards.

Rosier is going to need an offense tailored to his athleticism with half-field reads because he can't stand in the pocket and distribute. That's what we did for him against Duke. If we're going to do that, let's do it for the most talented guy (whoever that is).
Play the best guy. I want to win this year.

You'd have to think there's a little difference in knowledge of the book between a veteran like Rosier and a guy who will have been here 3 months when the season starts.

I understand what you're saying about Rosier and half-field reads. We had to do the same thing with Berlin, and it helped turn him from disaster to competent.

But there is some degree of importance that must be assigned to being comfortable in the offense and leading the team.

I don't care who plays as long as he's ready to lead the team right now. I'm not interested in that setting up for the future crap. We should be pretty good next year. I don't want to waste the season with a QB who isn't ready to lead the offense.

Does sack yardage count against your rush yards in high school? Perry's OL looked pretty rough on film, could explain why his yardage is so bad.. to an extent. It's obvious on tape he is a good athlete.

I think we are mixing up the term mobile qb with running qb. They are not the same thing. Weldon is a better runner: hence dual threat. Perry is what I would call a functionally mobile qb. He can move out of the pocket, maybe pick up a quick four yards with his feet on a roll out if he has to. Think about how many times Kaaya only had to run a couple yards forward to pick up a first down and couldn't pull it off. Weldon can pick up 20-25 on a run, Perry might only be able to get the 4, but it moves the chains and frustrates the **** out of a D coordinator, especially since Perry can spin it too. If he picks up 3rd and 3 with his feet 3 or 4 times per game, that means on 25% of the series (average of 12 offensive drives per game) he moved the chains with his legs but at the end of the season may "only" show 90-100 yards rushing for the season.

The All-22: Rodgers, Brady among best functionally mobile QBs | SI.com

Last edited:
I think we are mixing up the term mobile qb with running qb. They are not the same thing. Weldon is a better runner: hence dual threat. Perry is what I would call a functionally mobile qb. He can move out of the pocket, maybe pick up a quick four yards with his feet on a roll out if he has to. Think about how many times Kaaya only had to run a couple yards forward to pick up a first down and couldn't pull it off. Weldon can pick up 20 -25 on a run, Perry might only be able to get the 4, but it moves the chains and frustrates the **** out of a D coordinator, especially since Perry can spin it too. If he picks up 3rd and 3 with his feet 3 or 4 times per game, that means on 25% of the series (average of 12 offensive drives per game) he moved the chains with his legs but at the end of the season may "only" show 90-100 yards rushing for the season.

IOWs, Perry has better poise than Weldon.

Advertisement
Weldon isn't classified as a dual-threat QB on any recruiting website that I've seen. Perry is though, which doesn't make sense to me.

Some would say Kaaya's biggest deficiency is improvisation. When FSU started mixing things up, as one example, he couldn't adjust and made poorer decisions to hand off or throw out of the RPO calls. At UM, Kaaya worked best when things were predetermined. Coley did that for him and would ultimately run out of bullets. Or, when we went 4-vert so he made some simpler reads.

I agree with almost everything regarding the apparent misunderstanding of the RPO on this board (not sure how, since it's been explained so many times already), but wanted to comment on the Kaaya part.

RPO decision-making should be a very simple pre-snap process of counting hats in the box as well as a sight-read of the cushions from the defensive backs. I don't feel comfortable criticizing Kaaya's improvisation ability because I don't know how much freedom he was given to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. I know he's flipped run calls in the past but that's only 1 aspect. Either way it's a coach's responsibility to design the offense so that either the QB is trusted with making critical pre-snap adjustments (Bridgewater at UL) or (like most spread teams) he's given multiple plays in the huddle and lines up and looks to the sideline for the final call.

As you alluded to I don't think the offense was well-suited to Kaaya and his lack of mobility only exacerbated the predictability/lack of built-in schematic adjustments issues that made it very easy to gameplan against for defenses with enough talent. Like most bad offenses, there never seemed to be any flow or integration between the run and pass game. They were distinct entities creating no schematic advantage even when they were individually successful.

Kaaya belongs in either a West Coast offense that utilizes diverse alignments, shifts and route combinations to scheme WRs open quickly or a dominant gap-scheme run game that opens up throwing lanes for play action and 4-verts like you mentioned. It's not debilitating to have a QB that requires pre-determined scheme or reads. Kirk Cousins runs exactly the WCO I just referred to and has been criticized incessantly for being a see-it-throw-it QB and bad decisionmaker...well now he's about to get around $25 million annual salary. I don't think it's fair to use a few traits of a QB as a scapegoat for all the problems of an offense, and it's concerning that the fanbase is buying into the propaganda that Richt needs to recruit the BS archetype of the mobile "point guard" QB to run his offense. Why should we narrow the pool of recruits just to optimize a remedial offense and limit the growth potential of the playbook? Do we really want to commit to running an inferior version of the horizontal offense OSU just showed against Clemson only with a zone blocking scheme in place of the gap (power, counter) scheme?

Advertisement
This actually reminds me to feel better about next year, as Kaaya struggled mightily in this area during live action. While he put on a clinic at times wearing that scrimmage jersey, he was merely average, sometimes below, during games in scanning the field and going to 2nd or 3rd reads. Part of that is he really could not get his feet out of the mud to extend a play long enough. Another is his OL crumbled at times.

Some would say Kaaya's biggest deficiency is improvisation. When FSU started mixing things up, as one example, he couldn't adjust and made poorer decisions to hand off or throw out of the RPO calls. At UM, Kaaya worked best when things were predetermined. Coley did that for him and would ultimately run out of bullets. Or, when we went 4-vert so he made some simpler reads.

I agree with almost everything regarding the apparent misunderstanding of the RPO on this board (not sure how, since it's been explained so many times already), but wanted to comment on the Kaaya part.

RPO decision-making should be a very simple pre-snap process of counting hats in the box as well as a sight-read of the cushions from the defensive backs. I don't feel comfortable criticizing Kaaya's improvisation ability because I don't know how much freedom he was given to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. I know he's flipped run calls in the past but that's only 1 aspect. Either way it's a coach's responsibility to design the offense so that either the QB is trusted with making critical pre-snap adjustments (Bridgewater at UL) or (like most spread teams) he's given multiple plays in the huddle and lines up and looks to the sideline for the final call.

As you alluded to I don't think the offense was well-suited to Kaaya and his lack of mobility only exacerbated the predictability/lack of built-in schematic adjustments issues that made it very easy to gameplan against for defenses with enough talent. Like most bad offenses, there never seemed to be any flow or integration between the run and pass game. They were distinct entities creating no schematic advantage even when they were individually successful.

Kaaya belongs in either a West Coast offense that utilizes diverse alignments, shifts and route combinations to scheme WRs open quickly or a dominant gap-scheme run game that opens up throwing lanes for play action and 4-verts like you mentioned. It's not debilitating to have a QB that requires pre-determined scheme or reads. Kirk Cousins runs exactly the WCO I just referred to and has been criticized incessantly for being a see-it-throw-it QB and bad decisionmaker...well now he's about to get around $25 million annual salary. I don't think it's fair to use a few traits of a QB as a scapegoat for all the problems of an offense, and it's concerning that the fanbase is buying into the propaganda that Richt needs to recruit the BS archetype of the mobile "point guard" QB to run his offense. Why should we narrow the pool of recruits just to optimize a remedial offense and limit the growth potential of the playbook? Do we really want to commit to running an inferior version of the horizontal offense OSU just showed against Clemson only with a zone blocking scheme in place of the gap (power, counter) scheme?
Lots of good stuff in there. I'll address the bolded portions in order:

1) Good D-Coordinators, like the studs they are, have begun to show a pre-snap alignment and flip it in order to change the calculus on RPOs. Certainly, that's how the NFL is dealing with it and I saw FSU bring guys down or drop guys out late. It's sorta the new cat and mouse game that used to be zone blitzing. Kaaya, for multiple reasons we've both mentioned, struggled with this in spurts. When I criticized his improvisation, I'm narrowing it to his ability to extend plays. Really, to any degree. He's shown legit limitations. Actually, only going off memory, I feel like I saw him better at this in 2015 than in 2016.

2) It was probably one of the more rigid offenses and approaches I've seen in some time. Little, nuanced things like simple motion were simply not done. They could have helped. I've been told on here we didn't do that because Richt couldn't implement the entire playbook? I feel like that's a weird explanation. I've seen motion implemented in-week at the HS level.

3) Kirk Cousins is a great example of a proper fit. One thing, Kirk can move his feet.

4) Agree with the 4th bolded portion to the extent of extreme mobility. However, we really need a QB who can extend plays at least minimally. Even a guy like Joe Flacco can pop up in the pocket a bit. At the college level, a simple few steps up or across the pocket change everything.

5) Hear, hear on the last part. I've already expressed my concern throughout the board for some time. I like that Richt seems to identify issues and almost immediately attack them. I'm weary of the overall approach. I know I've been told "but Fast break!" I don't see the analogy or point of expecting the same here. Just sitting here patiently waiting and seeing what is done now that he's been here a year, which means no more "learning players" (I've made the Braxton Berrios point a lot) and "unable to implement everything."

We shall see.

3) Kirk Cousins is a great example of a proper fit. One thing, Kirk can move his feet.

4) we really need a QB who can extend plays at least minimally. Even a guy like Joe Flacco can pop up in the pocket a bit. At the college level, a simple few steps up or across the pocket change everything.

These are the only points I want to respond to because I agree with everything else that was said. I just want to clarify my thoughts on the mobility issue.

Maybe my memory has faded or maybe the superior OL covered up things but I remember Kaaya being ahead of the curve as a freshman with his footwork and mobility in the pocket. I thought his pocket fundamentals were advanced from the jump relative to other tFr like Jacory or Morris, but then his Sophomore year I noticed he developed bad habits like fading in the pocket, throwing off his back foot, poor weight distribution, etc. I always blamed his regression on Coach Coley who's not a guru on QB fundamentals by any means and Coley also ran mostly bad pass concepts that lacked any outlets/safety valves to relieve pressure or triangle reads to stress coverage and define easy reads for Kaaya. This past season it was apparent those bad habits were entrenched and he looked even more like he was stuck in cement if that's even possible. Again the isolation routes, unfriendly pass concepts and lack of flow between run/pass exacerbated these issues.

Anyways that brings me to my point which is that Kaaya is unathletic but his pocket movement, footwork, mobility, etc. can be improved with enough repetition and better scheme/playcalling. You mentioned how Cousins has naturally quick feet (Kaaya doesn't) but also that Flacco can extend plays a bit and I certainly believe Kaaya can be more mobile than Flacco by year 2 in the NFL. I'm a Bucs fan so I saw Jameis Winston's footwork transform from being a very sloppy, sluggish, long strider/overstrider as a rookie to being mostly quick and precise in his 2nd year making him one of the hardest QBs to sack and the top rated QB at throwing outside the pocket. Kaaya doesn't have the athletic upside or feel of Winston but he can make a similar transformation turning a major weakness into a minor strength. I was really hoping that would happen by year 4 at Miami but after listening to Pete's podcast and thinking about it I realized his draft decision was for the best on both sides.

Advertisement
Back