Transfer Portal - Baseball 2024-25

Advertisement
Some A++ posts in this thread by @Angry Ibis @WeBallinBoyz and @Rellyrell. With the cesspool this place often is, it’s still so refreshing to read well-written, coherent, intelligent posts from clearly intelligent people. I couldn’t agree more with every single word in all your posts in the last day.

I am very good friends with a former pitcher here, and I hadn’t spoken to him in a while. He and I spoke in person Saturday night for a good bit, and I couldn’t get him to agree JD was a ****-poor hire. I was ripping my face off. I said to him, “Do they brainwash you down there or something?” These people genuinely cannot see the forest for the trees. I was arguing with Danny Valencia the other day too about it. It’s just such a soft, pathetic culture throughout the whole department that these people think that since JD is a nice guy, he was a good hire or hey let’s give him a chance. ****. That. NOBODY on the planet other than Miami is giving that dude a head job. Not ******* Nova, or BCC. Nobody. But the program who has the 2nd most CWS appearances in the history of the sport does. Maddening doesn’t even begin to do it justice.

Someone earlier said this was the worst hire in the history of the department. I don’t think that’s hyperbole. In hindsight, obviously Manny was a poor hire and didn’t deserve the job. But at least his defenses were good. At least someone else was willing to hire him, even though it was Temple. What ******* program was knocking JD’s door down to come run it? The most ridiculous, lazy, unjustified hire you could possibly make. And the AD is too much of a ***** to rectify his mistake now. No, we have to sit through yet another year next year of brainless, unprepared kids sleepwalking through games. Completely ridiculous.

Some A++ posts in this thread by @Angry Ibis @WeBallinBoyz and @Rellyrell. With the cesspool this place often is, it’s still so refreshing to read well-written, coherent, intelligent posts from clearly intelligent people. I couldn’t agree more with every single word in all your posts in the last day.

I am very good friends with a former pitcher here, and I hadn’t spoken to him in a while. He and I spoke in person Saturday night for a good bit, and I couldn’t get him to agree JD was a ****-poor hire. I was ripping my face off. I said to him, “Do they brainwash you down there or something?” These people genuinely cannot see the forest for the trees. I was arguing with Danny Valencia the other day too about it. It’s just such a soft, pathetic culture throughout the whole department that these people think that since JD is a nice guy, he was a good hire or hey let’s give him a chance. ****. That. NOBODY on the planet other than Miami is giving that dude a head job. Not ******* Nova, or BCC. Nobody. But the program who has the 2nd most CWS appearances in the history of the sport does. Maddening doesn’t even begin to do it justice.

Someone earlier said this was the worst hire in the history of the department. I don’t think that’s hyperbole. In hindsight, obviously Manny was a poor hire and didn’t deserve the job. But at least his defenses were good. At least someone else was willing to hire him, even though it was Temple. What ******* program was knocking JD’s door down to come run it? The most ridiculous, lazy, unjustified hire you could possibly make. And the AD is too much of a ***** to rectify his mistake now. No, we have to sit through yet another year next year of brainless, unprepared kids sleepwalking through games. Completely ridiculous.
I had a similar conversation with 2 former players who also seemed to be brainwashed of JD and wouldn't admit it was a terrible hire.

One of them went as far as to say that when he was there playing, JD could have had any job in America that came open but he's always said he will only coach in Miami or at Miami (not sure if that means FIU he would have taken or exclusive to UM or what he meant by that).

The argument above might have been the case - he could have got any job he wanted if he pursued it.. but this was back in 2010-2013. They fail to see what the pitching has been lately and consider that the days of the old and his style are long gone in his field of expertise - further casting doubt on his ability to lead the full program.

Advertisement
Yes, it would, but I think we're all dreaming if you think the SS position is anyone's but Jimenez' for the next 3 years.
Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Maybe I'm proven wrong (and I'd love to be), but I'm about resigned to us not doing well in the portal regardless of this supposed influx of NIL money. We'll suck again next year, JD will be shown the door, and hopefully Rad will bring in someone from the outside that has a fresh take and can give this program a reboot.

I’m going to tag my good friends @Angry Ibis & @WeBallinBoyz on this, b/c we chat often about the state of our baseball program.

However, I’m going to make a general statement about my absolute frustration w/ this entire athletic program.

I’m not sure how we’ve lost our way, but then when I see tons of porst excusing, justifying, **** even celebrating mediocrity, it’s a clear reminder to me that our entire infrastructure from the top down to season ticket holders have become content w/ mediocrity.

We lose a guy like Cyr, who’s a bonafide star, who brings unbelievable value to our roster, & our solution have been to replace him w/ project pieces w/ ?able injury history? Like, we didn’t just deal w/ injuries this season?

I’ve seen excuses as to why small, private institutions r thriving in baseball, while we struggle; mind u, these private institutions that r thriving actually have much stricter academic requirements, as well!

What really chaps my hide about this news is that I’m sick & tired of the cucks up North showing us up. We’ve been the standard, & now them mofos have lapped us. Don’t believe me? Think I’m just ranting?

Miami Football: 5x Nat’l Champions
From 1983-2003: 212-42 (.835 win%)
Bowl Record: 12-7

From 2004-present: 148-103 (.590 win%)
Bowl Record: 3-12

Miami Baseball: 4x Nat’l Champions
From 1982-2003: 1075-382-5 (.738 win%)
CWS Appearances: 15

From 2004-present: 813-425-1 (.657 win%)
CWS Appearances: 5

During this same period (2004-present):
FSU Football: 174-84 (.674 win%)
Bowl Record: 11-6 (1 Nat’l Title)

FSU Baseball: 883-407 (.684 win%)
CWS Appearances: 6

UF Football: 180-86 (.677 win%)
Bowl Record: 10-7 (2 Nat’l Titles)

UF Baseball: 863-450 (.657 win%)
CWS Appearances: 10 (1 Nat’l Title)

Like for real, this is complete bull **** and unacceptable. I’m tired of celebrating the occasional 8-9 win seasons for football, & I’m tired of celebrating us limping into Regionals in baseball. Everything is tanking around us from academics (UF ranked #28, FSU ranked #T-53rd, Miami ranked #T-67th), to athletics, & it’s time to demand more. Stop the excuses, stop the justification. If u’re still beating the drum that “JD just needs his own players” then u’re apart of the problem.
We were the standard. The last 10 years UF has blown us apart and is not even close for debate.

Last edited:
@OrangeBowlMagic You know why they are saying or not saying that. Because it did work. 10+ years ago. Miami got the best and just showed up and hit bombs, had 7-10 legit pitchers and athletes all over. Now the talent pool is bigger and you have to be careful of who you recruit. Who is just a showcase or who is a later bloomer. Who is a kid that may not have showcased well but in games is a monster. Multi-sport kids that dont do travel ball. Then when they get to campus squeeze even more out of the almost maxed out guys and maximize the guys who are still raw. You can still do things that worked before but also like Lance said lets get up on tech. Miami finally went outside Miami for BBall and look what happened. We are all hoping that Cristobal is the guy but he worked under some of the best football coaches ever so while he is the fullest Miami guy ever he at least has rubbed elbows with some the sharpest minds out there from all different backgrounds.

I pounded the Rosario drum his whole career. I said he just needs a little work on pitch design and it could just be a slight finger placement. Kid gets to the minors and all the sudden is lights out and doesnt walk guys. Not saying he will make it to the show but 95-99 with his stuff is not normal. Some of it is on him but as a coach you still have to find the improvements physically and what buttons to push mentally.

I'd prefer Laz be a Mental Performance Coach and we hire a true pitching guy. I still think Fenster will pay dividends but his style takes some baseball IQ and knowing how to play the game(On the offensive side). A lot of green lights and knowing the situation. So hopefully JD hired/Hires the right guys and he takes on a CEO role.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I had a similar conversation with 2 former players who also seemed to be brainwashed of JD and wouldn't admit it was a terrible hire.

One of them went as far as to say that when he was there playing, JD could have had any job in America that came open but he's always said he will only coach in Miami or at Miami (not sure if that means FIU he would have taken or exclusive to UM or what he meant by that).

The argument above might have been the case - he could have got any job he wanted if he pursued it.. but this was back in 2010-2013. They fail to see what the pitching has been lately and consider that the days of the old and his style are long gone in his field of expertise - further casting doubt on his ability to lead the full program.
I’ve yet to see a sport where former players are a net positive. Everything that is required to get you to perform consistently at a high level when playing is relational, trust-reliant, and POV shrinking. This results in a kind of mental and emotional overexposure, where the picture is more of an ideal formed from mindset than an accurate image.

When they are no longer in the program, ex-players don’t analyze the data like a fan (whose POV is also broken). They didnt process the game or wins and losses like fans did when they played, they don't now. Their career depended on these men, they won because of them, they were changed by their leadership. They are “the best people” from the most formative years of their adult lives, it takes more than a bad season to topple that statue, and they instinctively defend them against criticism. Just like when they played. The mindset of what they see is different from what is actually there.

Fans have issues as well, but in reverse, because they are so emotionally connected, but also so helpless to influence outcomes.

@OrangeBowlMagic You know why they are saying or not saying that. Because it did work. 10+ years ago. Miami got the best and just showed up and hit bombs, had 7-10 legit pitchers and athletes all over. Now the talent pool is bigger and you have to be careful of who you recruit. Who is just a showcase or who is a later bloomer. Who is a kid that may not have showcased well but in games is a monster. Multi-sport kids that dont do travel ball. Then when they get to campus squeeze even more out of the almost maxed out guys and maximize the guys who are still raw. You can still do things that worked before but also like Lance said lets get up on tech. Miami finally went outside Miami for BBall and look what happened. We are all hoping that Cristobal is the guy but he worked under some of the best football coaches ever so while he is the fullest Miami guy ever he at least has rubbed elbows with some the sharpest minds out there from all different backgrounds.

I pounded the Rosario drum his whole career. I said he just needs a little work on pitch design and it could just be a slight finger placement. Kid gets to the minors and all the sudden is lights out and doesnt walk guys. Not saying he will make it to the show but 95-99 with his stuff is not normal. Some of it is on him but as a coach you still have to find the improvements physically and what buttons to push mentally.

I'd prefer Laz be a Mental Performance Coach and we hire a true pitching guy. I still think Fenster will pay dividends but his style takes some baseball IQ and knowing how to play the game(On the offensive side). A lot of green lights and knowing the situation. So hopefully JD hired/Hires the right guys and he takes on a CEO role.
Yeah on the Rosario piece I distinctly remember an interview where JD was quoted as saying "he just has to figure it out". WTAF?? JD - as pitching coach - needs to help him figure it out - give the kid some tools and modifications to work on and see what happens. Clearly the Rangers did and look at the results.

Also agree on Laz. We need a true pitching guy.

Advertisement
After researching a little more, he's more of a C/1B/DH type, The kid can hit, so, we should be all over this type of transfer.
He's a bat. Physical player, developed and blossomed under the Indiana State coach. That coach has a real connection to Puerto Rico, so it's a good chance he follows him to USF, but he can play here.

Advertisement
Back