The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oc needs to pick his staff and Mario needs to get out of his way.
Brother can dream lol.

OC picking their guys is fine.

Not convinced Mario gets in the way as much Oregon fans want us to believe. Didn't Dmoney pretty much say he expects the next OC to be a modern offense, that Mario doesn't pretend to be the smartest guy in the room and that he has no offensive system he is tied to.

Did he hold back Satterfield at FIU? TY Hilton?

After Herbert Oregon has Tyler Shough and Anthony Brown. They were awful QBs.

Team had no receivers until last year when Troy Franklin and Hutson were true freshman.

Again, they claim he holds OCs back but what is that based on? I am truly curious.

Until proven otherwise it's a narrative and that is it.

Advertisement
View attachment 213670

Here is the offensive leaderboard so far in cfb. It’s no secret. Look at the polls and look at this board. The ranked teams have the best offenses. You need to be explosive to win. Grinding out a 17 - 13 win while playing control ball and tough D isn’t the game.

What’s also telling is that you do not need to throw the ball 90% of the time to have an explosive offense. These leaders do have a rushing game. Tennesse has 1600 yards rushing. Some like UCF, UCLA, Ole Miss, Arky are actually quite balanced based on yardage on ground vs air.
Every good team sets up the run with the pass. They create a numbers advantage and go from there.

Advertisement
Every good team sets up the run with the pass. They create a numbers advantage and go from there.
You betchya...and its easier to create a numbers advantage 1st though the air. I dont know many successful teams trying to pound the rock until they are successful enough that the defense has to put 8 men in the box, then go slinging it now that theyve created a numbers advantage in the secondary. Now of course, if you are playing Manny's defense or run up against a team **** bent on stopping the pass and you can constantly gash them by ripping off 8 yard runs because they are giving you a numbers advantage, then have at it.

Frost is a risk imo.

His offenses at Oregon were heavily influenced by Kelly, and Lebby had a big influence on that UCF offense.

His offenses were abysmal at Nebraska and I don't what it'll look like on his own. Not saying it wouldn't work out but id hessitate to call it a sure thing or a home run.
Frost is NOT a safe candidate by any means. He was fired for a reason ... couldn't stay off the booze, banging coeds at a sorority house on campus, late for practices and meetings, failed to show for an in-home visit with a 5 star and called hung over the next day. Would not last in Miami and would end up in rehab. Much better candidates available.

Advertisement
I don't think Mario will be interested in Frost. I don't think that he is as archaic as some portray here, but I also don't think he's going to go that far in the opposite direction either.

Frost is NOT a safe candidate by any means. He was fired for a reason ... couldn't stay off the booze, banging coeds at a sorority house on campus, late for practices and meetings, failed to show for an in-home visit with a 5 star and called hung over the next day. Would not last in Miami and would end up in rehab. Much better candidates available.
Yeah sounds like he enjoyed being back at his school too much and maybe the pressure of losing so much drove him to party it up

Advertisement
Mullen is an obvious candidate . My long shot and the guy whose offense I’ve always loved is Petrino. You’d have a guy with NFL HC experience next to Mario knocking some sense into him on gameday . I don’t think we can get him but I’d make the phone call . He’s in football Siberia right now and is getting up there in age
Mullen has to be the guy. If he will come he’s the hire every where he been he put up points. Also TVD is like a trask clone in that offense. Skinner can be a Pitts in it. Not saying he will be Pitts saying he would play that role

Mullen has to be the guy. If he will come he’s the hire every where he been he put up points. Also TVD is like a trask clone in that offense. Skinner can be a Pitts in it. Not saying he will be Pitts saying he would play that role

TVD is probably gone, IMO, so the new OC won't be an issue in that regardsl.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Explain why he wouldn’t ?
I've never looked into it. Just wanted to see what reasons there were/are for people suggesting Mullen. I know when he had Trask as his QB, his offense was really, really good at throwing the football, but was poor at running the ball (I mean, he did have Kyle Trask, and Trask was amazing that year). But when Mullen had Franks and Jones they were not very good on offense. I know the fanbase wants an uptempo spread offense, Mullen certainly has experience with that. And he did help develop both Brian Johnson (Utah), Alex Smith (Utah), Tebow, Dak, and Trask. That's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back