The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be behind Mullen, but you can't list the good without some of the bad. Yeah, that offense with Trask, Pitts, and Toney was very good. Balanced, diverse, and spread from my recollection. But, didn't he have some pretty awful offenses with Franks right before that and then awfulness last year with Emory Jones/Anthony Richardson?

I actually think philosophically, his views work with Mario. I watched them gut the Bama defense on the ground last year. They've always run the ball very well.

Advertisement
I think it’s Joe Brady. From what I heard he was interested last go around but more interested in NFL OC job.
Would be brutal for us to have to wait that long for him to be named, assuming the Bills go as far as some expect in the playoffs.

@SouthCarolinaCane ...your Boring comment means absolutely nothing to me....we lost out on several Good OCs because of Mario...but by all means, keep thinking Mario doesn't need to change his views.
I think this narrative of Mario is being pulled way too far. It's not like we're running I-formation. Some of the run/pass numbers have been very skewed in favor of the latter. This offense was re-engineered mid season to attempt to open it up a little more similar to what TVD was comfortable with last year. If Mario was as stubborn or old-school as this narrative is being pushed, he wouldn't have done that IMO (in particular, mid-season).

I mean, no, he's not Mike Leach and doesn't want to air it out 65 times a game but I don't think anyone here actually wants that either.

If you hire Mullen, you have to let him hire his own guys, we need the coaching staff to work together instead as individuals. Mullen should get free reign over the offensive staff besides Mirabel and *maybe Field.

Advertisement
I'm sure there's some bright eyed Columbus freshman that John Ruiz and the other billionaire BOT members whose accents are unintelligible to anyone outside of Miami would love to give an opportunity to.

I don't even think he's worth mentioning. All reports are he hates recruiting and reportedly took a lower paying QB coach job instead of a college OC. I don't expect him to leave the NFL for college.
Funny how most didnt want him because he was OC one year and not a qb coach but he can go to nfl and be qb coach for one of best teams in nfl

WR recruiting would be amazing, but not sure they can risk an untested coordinator.

We've been saying this for years. How are our 'tested' coordinator hires turning out? Give me a young innovative mind.

On the record, add me to the list supporting Hartline.

Recruiting alone, he's ranked #2 with a 96.35 rating (absurd and not just for WRs). He's wr coach and passing game coordinator so OC is a clear promotion which means we probably keep him a few years before a HC opportunity which we need for continuity.

I honestly do not want him because I don't think he was ever the play-caller at Clemson during those years. It will be a Josh Gattis situation all over again (who was responsible for the Michigan offense last year?).

"Without further ado, let me put some of these questions and fears to rest: Tony Elliott calls all plays for the Clemson offense. How do I know that? When the two were announced as co-coordinators, Dabo, Scott, and Elliott all said as much in very plain language. On Sunday, Dec. 7th, just days after making the announcement that Scott and Elliott would be co-coordinators, Dabo announced that Tony Elliott would be calling plays. A few days later, in a joint press conference, Elliott discussed how he plans on calling the plays and managing the game. Scott went on to joke that he proposed they divide the play calling duties so that he could call first and second downs and Elliott could call third and fourth downs, but ends by saying that, "We figured this [Tony calling plays] was probably the best way." Tony Elliott was announced as the play caller almost immediately by Dabo. Tony and Jeff have both, consistently, confirmed that Elliott is the one calling the plays. There has been nothing said by anyone directly associated with Clemson to the contrary, so we have every reason to believe that Tony Elliott is the one calling plays for the Clemson Tiger offense. If it's really that straight forward, why has there been so much confusion?"
Also makes me wonder, how many OCs that aren't QB coaches end up being elite?

I know Joe Brady coached WRs but when I hear that the OC isn't a QB coach I get suspicious.

Advertisement
I honestly do not want him because I don't think he was ever the play-caller at Clemson during those years. It will be a Josh Gattis situation all over again (who was responsible for the Michigan offense last year?).

"Without further ado, let me put some of these questions and fears to rest: Tony Elliott calls all plays for the Clemson offense. How do I know that? When the two were announced as co-coordinators, Dabo, Scott, and Elliott all said as much in very plain language. On Sunday, Dec. 7th, just days after making the announcement that Scott and Elliott would be co-coordinators, Dabo announced that Tony Elliott would be calling plays. A few days later, in a joint press conference, Elliott discussed how he plans on calling the plays and managing the game. Scott went on to joke that he proposed they divide the play calling duties so that he could call first and second downs and Elliott could call third and fourth downs, but ends by saying that, "We figured this [Tony calling plays] was probably the best way." Tony Elliott was announced as the play caller almost immediately by Dabo. Tony and Jeff have both, consistently, confirmed that Elliott is the one calling the plays. There has been nothing said by anyone directly associated with Clemson to the contrary, so we have every reason to believe that Tony Elliott is the one calling plays for the Clemson Tiger offense. If it's really that straight forward, why has there been so much confusion?"
Their O has looked pretty basic since he left. Not sure of the correlation.

We've been saying this for years. How are our 'tested' coordinator hires turning out? Give me a young innovative mind.

On the record, add me to the list supporting Hartline.

Recruiting alone, he's ranked #2 with a 96.35 rating (absurd and not just for WRs). He's wr coach and passing game coordinator so OC is a clear promotion which means we probably keep him a few years before a HC opportunity which we need for continuity.
Except Gattis wasn't exactly "tested" either. There is still a lot of doubt and speculation as to exactly what role he had in Michigan.

Regardless, I don't think Mario will hire someone without a proven track history. I'm not sure he'd be too comfortable gambling at this juncture on an unknown commodity.

Except Gattis wasn't exactly "tested" either. There is still a lot of doubt and speculation as to exactly what role he had in Michigan.

Regardless, I don't think Mario will hire someone without a proven track history. I'm not sure he'd be too comfortable gambling at this juncture on an unknown commodity.

I agree to an extent. Being a Broyles award winner, despite what some thought of him, elevates him to the 'tested' category IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree Mario isn't going to go the unproven route so I'm not getting any hopes up. I really think it's what we need and have been missing.

We made our name on innovation and have completely abandoned that line of thinking - always wanting 'proven' guys or 'Miami, bros'.

Advertisement
Gimme Art Bryles.

And I want Jenn Strawley to be his personal assistant.

prayer GIF

I agree to an extent. Being a Broyles award winner, despite what some thought of him, elevates him to the 'tested' category IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree Mario isn't going to go the unproven route so I'm not getting any hopes up. I really think it's what we need and have been missing.

We made our name on innovation and have completely abandoned that line of thinking - always wanting 'proven' guys or 'Miami, bros'.
I think at the time, we believed he was tested. Now that time has passed, I think we all have questions about exactly what his role was at Michigan.

We probably should have figured something was wrong when he was all bothered about the fact that Michigan gave him a cold shoulder on the way out. Never a good sign that a moneyed program would simply let someone go and not seem flustered about it. Oh well.

Advertisement
I think at the time, we believed he was tested. Now that time has passed, I think we all have questions about exactly what his role was at Michigan.

We probably should have figured something was wrong when he was all bothered about the fact that Michigan gave him a cold shoulder on the way out. Never a good sign that a moneyed program would simply let someone go and not seem flustered about it. Oh well.

I agree with you. I just can't see hiring the Broyles winner as hiring an untested coordinator. He was also OC several years beforehand.

I agree with you. I just can't see hiring the Broyles winner as hiring an untested coordinator. He was also OC several years beforehand.
2019-2021 with it sounding like he was neutered in 2021. So really, only two years coordinating his own offense.

My thoughts exactly. That said, I think DJ is likely to blame for some of that.
See I think it's been like that. I remember how basic they looked in the OSU game they lost. The last few years, their scheme has become stale and they just try to out recruit you and not out scheme you.

2019-2021 with it sounding like he was neutered in 2021. So really, only two years coordinating his own offense.

Absolutely. But the neutering information came to (at least casual fans of other teams) after the hire. On paper is two years as OC and one winning the Broyles. You can't equate this hire to hiring an 'untested' coach. Hindsight yeah it's questionable looking at the big picture with Michigan absolutely. If we'd hired some passing game coordinator from somewhere that's an untested hire.

Mario should've known all of this about Gattis though. He worked with the **** guy beforehand even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back