The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about to post…

Would not have to adjust the staff that much either.
Yea he is a wr coach. Was a great recruiter at clemson and their wrs ain’t been the same since he left. He would run a balanced offense that Mario says he wants

Advertisement
Jeff Scott would be a homerun hire, right? Co-OC at Clemson from 15-19.

That Clemson offense was lethal. Vertical. Diverse. Lots of motion, play-action, misdirection. Had defenders thinking a lot.

Plus, they still ran the ball really well. Dang.

Advertisement

That Clemson offense was lethal. Vertical. Diverse. Lots of motion, play-action, misdirection. Had defenders thinking a lot.

I can’t really say a Co-OC is a home run hire + his offenses weren’t great during his HC tenures

I can’t really say a Co-OC is a home run hire + his offenses weren’t great during his HC tenures
He called plays at clemson tho. And he is a good recruiter and wr coach. Clemson wrs hasn’t been the same since he left

I hate to even give props to them, but that UF offense the year Trask was the starter was prolific. Used the **** out of a receiving tight end (hello, Arroyo and more so Skinner) as well as backs rushing /receiving. As others have mentioned, he’s goofy as **** and a terrible recruiter but as OC I’d be very intrigued.
Yup. Currently like 2 options to upgrade the Offensive staff:

OPTION 1:

OC/QB - Mullen. Can do it with a dual threat or pocket passer and limited playmakers

Bring in Coley at WR/TE off the sinking TAMU ship

Let Ponce/Field Duke it out for the last spot lol

OPTION 2:
Jeff Scott OC/WR
Keep Ponce as QB
Still add James Coley to staff

Need a proven OC that can do more with less, which is why I lean Mullen, but Jeff Scott can coach WRs and score when he has the horses. Which will be pretty soon with Mario and crew recruiting.

Advertisement
I hate to even give props to them, but that UF offense the year Trask was the starter was prolific. Used the **** out of a receiving tight end (hello, Arroyo and more so Skinner) as well as backs rushing /receiving. As others have mentioned, he’s goofy as **** and a terrible recruiter but as OC I’d be very intrigued.
Yea that is the year that showed he could adapt to personnel and wasn't a one-trick spread option running QB guy.

OPTION 1:

OC/QB - Mullen. Can do it with a dual threat or pocket passer and limited playmakers

OPTION 2:
Jeff Scott OC/WR
Keep Ponce as QB

Need a proven OC that can do more with less, which is why I lean Mullen, but Jeff Scott can coach WRs and score when he has the horses. Which will be pretty soon with Mario and crew recruiting.

We’re not going to land an OC without giving him the ability to bring his own guy(s). Personally, I think the next OC will bring in his own WRC.

He called plays at clemson tho. And he is a good recruiter and wr coach. Clemson wrs hasn’t been the same since he left

I honestly do not want him because I don't think he was ever the play-caller at Clemson during those years. It will be a Josh Gattis situation all over again (who was responsible for the Michigan offense last year?).

"Without further ado, let me put some of these questions and fears to rest: Tony Elliott calls all plays for the Clemson offense. How do I know that? When the two were announced as co-coordinators, Dabo, Scott, and Elliott all said as much in very plain language. On Sunday, Dec. 7th, just days after making the announcement that Scott and Elliott would be co-coordinators, Dabo announced that Tony Elliott would be calling plays. A few days later, in a joint press conference, Elliott discussed how he plans on calling the plays and managing the game. Scott went on to joke that he proposed they divide the play calling duties so that he could call first and second downs and Elliott could call third and fourth downs, but ends by saying that, "We figured this [Tony calling plays] was probably the best way." Tony Elliott was announced as the play caller almost immediately by Dabo. Tony and Jeff have both, consistently, confirmed that Elliott is the one calling the plays. There has been nothing said by anyone directly associated with Clemson to the contrary, so we have every reason to believe that Tony Elliott is the one calling plays for the Clemson Tiger offense. If it's really that straight forward, why has there been so much confusion?"

Last edited:
Advertisement

OPTION 1:

OPTION 2:
Jeff Scott OC/WR
Keep Ponce as QB

Oc needs to pick his staff and Mario needs to get out of his way.

Advertisement
I honestly do not want him because I don't think he was ever the play-caller at Clemson during those years. It will be a Josh Gattis situation all over again (who was responsible for the Michigan offense last year?).

"Without further ado, let me put some of these questions and fears to rest: Tony Elliott calls all plays for the Clemson offense. How do I know that? When the two were announced as co-coordinators, Dabo, Scott, and Elliott all said as much in very plain language. On Sunday, Dec. 7th, just days after making the announcement that Scott and Elliott would be co-coordinators, Dabo announced that Tony Elliott would be calling plays. A few days later, in a joint press conference, Elliott discussed how he plans on calling the plays and managing the game. Scott went on to joke that he proposed they divide the play calling duties so that he could call first and second downs and Elliott could call third and fourth downs, but ends by saying that, "We figured this [Tony calling plays] was probably the best way." Tony Elliott was announced as the play caller almost immediately by Dabo. Tony and Jeff have both, consistently, confirmed that Elliott is the one calling the plays. There has been nothing said by anyone directly associated with Clemson to the contrary, so we have every reason to believe that Tony Elliott is the one calling plays for the Clemson Tiger offense. If it's really that straight forward, why has there been so much confusion?"
Thanks for the info. I always thought Scott was the guy since Clemson fans were so upset with Tony Elliot last year, who since went to UVA and turned that similarly prolific offense last year into poo this year.

Assuming Gattis gets sh't canned at the end of the season who are the candidates you want to see take over the offense?

My list:

Tom Herman: His offense got better every year at Texas finishing 7th in scoring the year he was fired.
Scott Frost: Failed as HC at Nebraska, but that may just be a dead program. Runs an uptempo spread offense that Florida athletes would thrive in.
Dan Mullen: Runs a power spread that's been successful everywhere he's been. I don't like how he uses his QB as a battering ram though.
Art Briles: We all know his story. Probably done coaching in college but would be a homerun hire at OC.

The above are all available.

Candidates below who are currently employed:

Jeff Scott: Current HC of South Florida that parlayed Clemson offensive success into a HC gig. The decline in efficiency immediately after he left Clemson was noticeable. Runs a power spread that would mesh with Cristobal's vision. Has won 4 games in 3 years at USF. May get fired after this season.
Alex Golesh: His name came up during our search to fill the staff. Only way I'd see him leave for a lateral position is if Heupel is the one calling plays and Golesh wants the reins. I couldn't find confirmation on who calls their plays.
Andrew Sowder: I've seen somebody mention him a couple times so adding him to the list. Took over the 104th scoring offense in 2018 at Kent State and had them #1 by 2020.
Warren Ruggiero: One of the prototypical "does less with more" coaches coordinating that Wake Forest offense. Since 2017 has averaged at least 30 points each season with the last two hovering around 40ppg.

Expanded List since original OP:

Garrett Riley: Younger brother of Lincoln. Has coordinated three offenses (including this season) and had the 15th, 10th and currently 3rd scoring offense.
Brian Hartline: Current Ohio State WR coach. Never coordinated on offense before, but is among the most elite recruiters. Can he run his own offense? Learned offense under some of the best in his time at Ohio State. Would need to leave his alma mater to further advance his career.
Phil Longo: Current UNC OC. Unlikely to leave UNC and their great young QB for a lateral position, but runs the type of offense that would thrive at Miami
Robert Anae: Well traveled OC. Has made stops at Hawaii, BYU, Arizona (under Rich Rod), Texas Tech (under Leach) and now Syracuse (under Dino Babers) among others.
Scott Satterfield: Current Louisville HC, previously App State's OC and the HC. Was also OC under Cristobal at FIU. Was flirting with the hot seat earlier this season after a slow start, but at 5-3 that's probably cooled off. Runs a spread that Miami needs.
Willy Korn: Current Coastal Carolina OC. Runs a read option and RPO modern offense that Miami has sorely been lacking. Huge part in that program's emergence.
Larry Fedora: Where the **** is he these days? Former UNC HC, Oklahoma State OC. Spread offense. Is he still interested in coaching?
Kevin Sumlin: Current HC of a team in the USFL. Is that where he wants to be? Another offensive mind that's learned the way of the spread offense.
Jason Candle: A name that was mentioned on our last search. Current Toledo HC. Similar to Satterfield came into the season possibly on the hot seat, but at 6-3 is probably safe where he's at.
Phillip Montgomery: Current Tulsa HC. Possibly on the hot seat with a 3-5 record this season, and sub .500 record as HC there. Former OC at Baylor under Briles so he knows the ways of the demonic veer n shoot offense.

Who'd you add to this list as names to watch/explore?
Throw all of the money at Garrett Riley.

Great choice but I don’t see him making a lateral/backwards move when he’ll probably have HC jobs after another year
Agreed. Longo is a stud but I get the sense he’s waiting for Mack to hit the old people facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back