The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
How hard is this. WARREN RUGGIERO. Guy does way more with less every year. Why can't we hire a currently employed, not recently fired coach?

How hard is this. WHY DO YOU THINK HE WANTS TO LEAVE WAKE FOREST? I've asked this question over and over again, and none of the Ruggiero Bros will answer it.

Guy will be 57 shortly and has been at Bowling Green/Wake Forest for 14 consecutive years with Clawson, holding down essentially the same job the entire time. Don't you think that if he was upwardly aspirational, he would have left the nest by now?

Is he going to take a lateral? And for the (cost-of-living-adjusted) same money?

Advertisement
The next time you’re right about something it’ll be the first time, so pretty much on point with this one.

1674938516928.jpeg

Don't you think that if he was upwardly aspirational, he would have left the nest by now?

Lot of folks thought Venables was going be Clemsons DC forever (Clemsons Bud Foster). Programs were after him for years and he didn't seem particularly interested in upward mobility. That being said, the city of Miami isn't everyone's cup of tea.

With some of the candidates, we need to look deeper into the reason they had “success”. Not sure I trust Frost as this can’t miss OC. He was always around a more proven offensive mind whether it was Chip Kelly or Heupel. If he was a dynamic OC, Nebraska would’ve looked differently on offense.

Why do people keep saying this?

Reactions: 88
How hard is this. WHY DO YOU THINK HE WANTS TO LEAVE WAKE FOREST? I've asked this question over and over again, and none of the Ruggiero Bros will answer it.

Guy will be 57 shortly and has been at Bowling Green/Wake Forest for 14 consecutive years with Clawson, holding down essentially the same job the entire time. Don't you think that if he was upwardly aspirational, he would have left the nest by now?

Is he going to take a lateral? And for the (cost-of-living-adjusted) same money?
If he was a young up and comer maybe he makes that jump. Rhett is proof if you‘re worth your salt as a coordinator here a head coach job will be there and fast. His career was trending downward when he took the UM job. Ruggiero is older and very loyal to Clawson. So I’d be shocked if he bounced.

Advertisement

What the **** is with the people here hating on 57 year olds? I guar-got****-tee that I can do twice as many push-ups than you and my 401k has an awesome risk profile even in these turbulent times.

I would rank the rumored candidates as follows:
1. Mullen
2. Candle
3. Brady
4. Ludwig
5. Johns
6. Coen
7. Frost
8. Arroyo
9. Peetz
10. Martin
11. Coley
I’d put Ludwig at 3 and Johns at 4. Also Frost ahead of Coen but otherwise in agreement.

Wait a minute.. I'm late here, but is that the QB from back in the day? The guy Golden skipped over in favor of true freshman Kaaya?
I wouldn’t say he really skipped over him. If I remember correctly, Williams tore his acl in spring and wasn’t ready until the middle of the season when Kaaya was already rolling.

I also believe people complained to Blake James about the practice field not being safe and his response was “what do you want me to do about it?” God he was a complete loser.

Advertisement

I was on the Ruggiero train until you brought up all of these facts. He is not going anywhere. Getting him away from Clawson would be like trying to pull Mirabal away from Mario.

Lot of folks thought Venables was going be Clemsons DC forever (Clemsons Bud Foster). Programs were after him for years and he didn't seem particularly interested in upward mobility. That being said, the city of Miami isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Yes, it's a moderately fair comparison, but (a) he didn't follow Dabo through 2 different schools, and (b) he took a HC job at the only other school where he had a long-term position as a coordinator previously. It was, literally, a perfect fit for him.

Not sure that can be said about Ruggiero and coming to Miami. He's coached at Defiance, Clarion, Glenville State, William & Mary, Hofstra, Elon, K-State, Bowling Green, and Wake Forest (and he went to school at Delaware). That is an ENTIRE LIFETIME of not drinking a Miami cup of tea.

Nothing against him as a coach, he could be great at Miami. I just don't see him ever accepting a job offer at Miami.

Advertisement
me thinks he needs treatment and a 12 step fellowship
nah...

this is a convenient reflexive response cast on people with substance use issues, but Frost only developed an alcohol use disorder when he got to Linocln at 43 years old.. If he always drank it didn't impact his professional performance and rise to a significant level until he got the Nebraska. That suggests his real problem is more local to Lincoln and that particular time in his life than a long-standing problem with booze that needs structured substance use treatment.

Change of scenery may be the best treatment for Frost because football is a source of structure, community and offers a sense of accomplishment for him. Sitting in a room, away from coaching, with a bunch of drug addicts sifting through trauma may be the worst place for Scott Frost.

Last edited:
nah...

this is a convenient reflexive response cast on people with substance use issues, but Frost only developed an alcohol use disorder when he got to Linocln at 43 years old.. If he always drank it didn't impact his professional performance and rise to a significant level until he got the Nebraska. That suggests his real problem is more local to Lincoln and that particular time in his life than a long-standing problem with booze that needs structured substance use treatment.

Change of scenery may be the best treatment for Frost because football has always been a source of structure, community and a sense of accomplishment for him. Sitting in a room, away from coaching, with a bunch of drug addicts sifting through trauma may be the worst place for Scott Frost.
Well let him prove it by taking a job like USF or Houston or some other program like Kiffin did, and demonstrate control. Mario can't take a risk of that type when he already set the program back 20 years with the Gattis "situation". Has to get it right this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back