The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Coley knows ZERO about football. Kaaya's freshman year, we had built a huge halftime lead against Jimbo's FSU team which was probably ranked top 3. 2nd half that lead disappeared, and FSU scored to put them ahead with a minute or so left in game. So we had to march downfield for a game winning TD with a minute left. On 1st and 10, the f'n idiot called two running plays in a row. Gaining a grand total of 1 yard. Wasted half the time we had left on the clock. Either he knows nothing about football or he took a payout and threw the game on purpose.
we lost that game when we got passive in the second half, which is a mortal sin in football. i gotta believe that Coley was instructed to run the ball and kill the clock by golden.

regardless, your point is well taken. he should never call plays ever again.

No Coley
No Arroyo

Advertisement
Mario is a Football junkie and Mullen is a Football nerd as well. Sometimes there's a complementary fit and mutual respect that makes these relationships work.
I really like Johnsons potential though. Not the proven results as a playcaller Mullen has but the pedigree of qb development is a major plus, that and the recently attained NFL pedigree.

Advertisement
No thanks. Let him cut his teeth away from Reid and Mahomes. He has a personality like Gattis too. The only difference is Reid could have a manakin as an OC and nothing changes for KC.
The irony. The same fans jerking off Ken Dorsey have an issue with an experienced OC, that has a significantly better resume, for the same reasons why Dorsey isnt a good idea.

Let's be honest, Bieniemy's personality isn't why he isn't getting HC spots. You really think guys like Adam Gase weren't arrogant tools? We all know the reason why, and it's something EB can't change. That said, I doubt EB comes to the college ranks.

Advertisement
Let me revise into tiers.

Tier 1: Mullen
Tier 2: Candle, Brady, Ludwig, Johns, Coen
Tier 3: Frost, Arroyo
Tier 4: Peetz
Tier 5: Martin, Coley
I like this. Except I’d drop Brady down a tier to tier 3.

And Peetz. Don’t know too much about him. Did he do alright at lsu? Has he been an OC elsewhere?

With some of the candidates, we need to look deeper into the reason they had “success”. Not sure I trust Frost as this can’t miss OC. He was always around a more proven offensive mind whether it was Chip Kelly or Heupel. If he was a dynamic OC, Nebraska would’ve looked differently on offense.
When he ran the offense at Oregon Chip Kelly had already left and Heupel was never at UCF with Frost.

Advertisement
If Frost was getting hammered weekly and banging co-eds in LINCOLN, NEB there's a good chance he doesn't make it to summer workouts living in Miami. Man needs some time off desperately based off the stories that have been out there.

He was a student at Nebraska and maybe that's where the boundaries got blurred between undergraduate Frost and Coach Frost. One would also question why these issues didn't surface at previous stops where the talent-level was much better than Lincoln, Ne.

Advertisement
Take a look at his history and he has been involved with some DYNAMIC offenses:

-2014 ... OC for Oregon. Coached Marcus Mariotta to a Heisman final and Oregon to the playoffs.
-2017 ... second year at UCF and took a team that in 2015 almost didn't win a game to 17-0.

That's why he was hired by Nebraska ... bringing an alum home. But it didn't work. Didn't have the athletes he had at UCF and had developed a huge problem with booze.

Maybe it was the pressure of winning/failure at his alma mater that he didn't cope very well with. Something certainly developed in Lincoln that didn't derail his coaching career before he got there.

A change of scenery and supportive coaching environment could do wonders and may be the best "treatment" he could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back