The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I would go after Sowder from Kent State, uptempo spread but with creative power run concepts. Rob Anae seems like someone Mario would be more likely to target, and pulling him from Cuse shouldn't be too tough.
Kendall Briles makes the most sense and someone I think Mario would make a compromise for. His offense is run heavy while also using modern passing concepts but idk if Briles would leave Arkansas for us. I think he will get a HC soon.

A name that does make sense and I could see Mario getting on board with is Chip Lindsey. He could bring that Gus Malzahn playbook here which I'm sure Mario would love

Last edited:
Kendall Briles makes the most sense and someone I think Mario would make a compromise for. His offense is run heavy while also using modern passing concepts but idk if Briles would leave Arkansas for us. I think he will get a HC soon.
It seemed nobody was ever able to actually confirm if he truly was a candidate for us or if he was interviewing last go round, but I'd be good with him, hopefully he sees the potential & ceiling we have with all the talent we're gonna be bringing in.

But Lashlee struggled during the beginning of his career at Miami. He didn't get hot till the last few games of the 2021 season, when he had time to for his Q.B to be fully immersed with the playbook. It takes some time for a coordinator to come in day one and be successful, especially when you gave a group of kids that are lazy and have no interest learning from our talented coaching staff.

2020 (lashlee’s first year) he put together a top 20 offense with a midget QB after being 90th in total offense in 2019. Lashlee coached the same lazy players in 2021 and put together a respectable offense.

Yes, it does take time but the offense has not only regressed from last year, but it is regressing on a week by week basis. The offense looks completely inept at times, and gattis is giving Enos a run for his money for worst UM offense.

Again, modern day college football offenses are a pretty quick install if the OC is any good

Advertisement
An interesting exercise. A lot of delusion in a lot of names being thrown out so far. I guess unless we expect to offer someone head coach money.

I am not here to knight for Gattis, but..

-We talk about how bad the players are, its a multi year recruiting rebuild etc.
-We have had terrible injury issues that hamper the offense without question.
-Gattis adjusted his play book part way into the season to fling it around some.
-Gattis has to overcome a defense that some ******* how is ****** enough to give up 45 to MTSU.
-Gattis (and presumably anyone then) only gets one off season to implement his system AND see immediate results, despite previously mentioned bad roster and bad injuries.
-We have a head coach that wants to play a certain way on offense.

If we fire him after this year, all of these things makes the OC job at Miami a bad job. Tennessee, UNC, Wake OC's aren't taking a lateral move to a worse team with these circumstances and expectations, guys. Dan Mullen isn't walking into this rather than collecting his 7 mill paycheck for the next 3 years to hang out with his family.

If we fire Gattis, we either have to have the highest paid OC in the country next year, or people need to think a lot more under the radar.

All of college football was put on notice after what Huepal did.

Every single one of these MF coaches that don't believe that offense can work should be lined up against a wall and answer to why they're retarded.

It's even conceivable someone like Mario see's that and may at least be open to it. There are fantastic running games ran out of the Veer and Shoot/Air raid.

Riley, Huepal and Briles usually have very good rushing attacks.

Last edited:
For me it's Dan Mullen.

He's weird as ****...doesn't care to much for recruiting..but who cares he would have an offense humming here and would take the job asap.

The "does he recruit" crowd also were on n on about it during the lane train days as well. If you don't think Dan Mullen putting up offensive stats here will recruit itself I don't know what to tell you. Sh-t Mario brings not much to the table as a coach..all his strength is recruiting sooooooo..yea lock him up with Dan Mullen..if you love Ponce make him wr coach n go from there. Mullen would likely be here 3 years or long enough to have Jacurri Brown go crazy lol.

Fcs I like Kevin Decker for yall that like Tenns offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All of college football was put on notice after what Huepal has done.

Every single one of these MF coaches that don't believe that offense can work should be lined up against a wall and answer to why they're retarded.

It's even conceivable someone like Mario see's that and may at least be open to it. There are fantastic running games ran out of the Veer and Shoot/Air raid.

Riley, Huepal and Briles usually have very good rushing attacks.
Arkansas is 13th in total yards per game with a passing O ranked in the 60s, because they're 6th in rushing yards per game. Briles is surprisingly balanced.

246.8 passing yards per game
245.8 rushing yards per game
1974 passing attempts
1966 rushing attempts

I know things can get skewed depending on if they're running out the clock or playing from behind. But that still impressive. He's shown that he's willing to adjust to his personnel, instead of sticking to the pass heavy game.

Arkansas is 13th in total yards per game with a passing O ranked in the 60s, because they're 6th in rushing yards per game. Briles is surprisingly balanced.

246.8 passing yards per game
245.8 rushing yards per game
1974 passing attempts
1966 rushing attempts

I know things can get skewed depending on if they're running out the clock or playing from behind. But that still impressive. He's shown that he's willing to adjust to his personnel, instead of sticking to the pass heavy game.

My only gripe with that Briles is how bad the FSU offense looked. I know their personnel sucked, but it was just horrible and play calling was a lot of it.

For me it's Dan Mullen.

He's weird as ****...doesn't care to much for recruiting..but who cares he would have an offense humming here and would take the job asap.

The "does he recruit" crowd also were on n on about it during the lane train days as well. If you don't think Dan Mullen putting up offensive stats here will recruit itself I don't know what to tell you. Sh-t Mario brings not much to the table as a coach..all his strength is recruiting sooooooo..yea lock him up with Dan Mullen..if you love Ponce make him wr coach n go from there. Mullen would likely be here 3 years or long enough to have Jacurri Brown go crazy lol.

Its all about personalities and recruiting which probably takes him out of the running.

I remember after he was fired @Cribby saying Mullen had his agent reach out for the HC job at UM. So he'd at least be interested in being at Miami.

Its subjective.. but what's interesting is I've noticed Mullen on tv defending and talking up Miami a few times. And it got to the point where it made me wonder if he's not angling for something. Just throwing it out there..

My only gripe with that Briles is how bad the FSU offense looked. I know their personnel sucked, but it was just horrible and play calling was a lot of it.
My thoughts exactly. Only reason I brought him up is because he was floated on here and in the media as having real interest. He was the guy who publicly removed his name from consideration. So at the very least Mario has spoken to him in the past about the job.

Advertisement
Its all about personalities and recruiting which probably takes him out of the running.

I remember after he was fired @Cribby saying Mullen had his agent reach out for the HC job at UM.

Its subjective.. but what's interesting is I've noticed Mullen on tv defending and talking up Miami a few times. And it got to the point where it made me wonder if he's not angling for something. Just throwing it out there..
He's wanted the job for years it's not even been on the low. It's why I said he would take the oc job..he knows he just has to have a competent offense and the place will recruit itself or made very easy to recruit studs for his offense locally.

He's a certified weirdo on the recruiting front but I don't even think that matters all to much with Mario as the head man and him having recruiting instate for decades

Go check FSU the year before Briles, compare it to Briles year and get back to us

Advertisement
He's wanted the job for years it's not even been on the low. It's why I said he would take the oc job..he knows he just has to have a competent offense and the place will recruit itself or made very easy to recruit studs for his offense locally.

He's a certified weirdo on the recruiting front but I don't even think that matters all to much with Mario as the head man and him having recruiting instate for decades
He’s tried three times total.

Last edited:
For me it's Dan Mullen.

I’m not worried about recruiting and I think he would put big numbers as OC at Miami, I just don’t think is the type of person Mario would hire in any capacity. Let alone as a coordinator.

I like Mullen in his play-calling role and scheming but his rumored disdain for recruiting is what I fear. Yeah we can say Mario will make up for it but that's like settling on a hypothetical girl that isn't compatible with you when you're single. If we have an opening we should at least try to get someone who will run a high-powered offense that can recruit. However Mullen is, ughh, on my list for sure.
I thought I saw on here someone mentioned Saban said it's very rare to find coaches who recruit and are great x and o guys. You have to have a mix of both on staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back