The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
This is what the NFL has been doing...just plucking Sean McVay / Andy Reid disciples. Even LSU with Joe Brady on board was a water carrier for the Saints. I was very pro Dorsey...and that Daboll tree is blooming nicely.

Trying to get one of those guys in here would be choice.

The lower level G5, FCS wizards would be nice, too. Wouldn't be **** hires at first, but those have seemingly been fruitful hires in CFB. Mike Gundy, for example, landed a few key young playcallers in a row mining the lower levels.
4865757.jpg

I am putting all my faith in Mario. Whether he decides to keep Gattis or get a new OC, I will ride with him. What fans fail to remember is that our players don't fit his scheme what so ever. Lets look at Michigan in 2021; they had one of the best o-lines in the county paired with a very strong running back group. Their wrs were pretty good as well. Miami currently has a depleted offensive line, basically only 1 running back (Parrish), and a inconsonant level of play from the wr group. We don't have the personal to run a pound and ground offense. Should gattis have done a better job adjusting the scheme to fit the players we have on the roster? Absolutely. But, that's also hard when you have players that don't wanna buy into our program and have bad mindsets (thanks Diaz).

Also, what is brining in a new OC going realy going to do? It literally puts us back at square one. We don't have the talent to keep bring in a new OC every season and expect them to be successful day one. Only Bama, Georgia and OSU had the talent to adapt that quickly. Whatever OC we decide, we need to base our recruiting classes around our scheme

Agree with your first paragraph.. this wouldn’t be a very good offense under any OC given the lack of talent, depth, and injuries.

Disagree with the second paragraph. I didn’t love Lashlee, but this offense would most definitely be better under him right now.

Like many have said, we are running plays that are doomed to fail before the ball is snapped, reminiscent of Enos. Bad tempo, predictable play calling, terrible route tree and 3 receivers within 5 yards of each other on some plays.

We would be starting at “square one” regardless if it’s gattis or someone else next year. And the majority of modern day college offenses don’t differ much personal and recruiting wise. Not like we’re going spread after running Paul Johnson’s offense for decades…

There is 0 reason to keep Gattis around considering recruits don’t even want to play in his trash scheme.

Advertisement
so many of you are saying Mullen. I guess I wonder if he would work for mario - is he detailed and a hard enough grinder? He never seemed like he was about that life at UF.

I have a hard time seeing him and Mario working together. He seems so weird, too.
Agreed i think him in an analyst role is good enough

Advertisement
I'm telling you guys it's pointless to bring up any Air Raid OC names, Mario will never go for it.
I would go after Sowder from Kent State, uptempo spread but with creative power run concepts. Rob Anae seems like someone Mario would be more likely to target, and pulling him from Cuse shouldn't be too tough.

Phil Longo
Garrett Riley

Those are my top two…. If they both tell me no I’m calling Dan Mullen because I know he’ll accept the job and he’ll get this offense rolling. He’s done it everywhere he’s been at with whatever he can stick together because he sucks Azzz as a recruiter…. But I don’t care because that’s what Mario and the rest of the crew are doing.
I don't know much about Riley but I have been impressed with TCU's performance in Dykes' first year (I have only watched portions of a couple of their games). I just did a quick look at their game logs, and Riley seems somewhat committed to the run - of their 548 plays, 300 (54.7%) were runs, and only in 2 of their 8 games did pass plays exceed runs (@Kansas (+2) and @WVU (+1)). Although, at SMU in 2021, 47.5% of their plays were runs, while 50.0% were runs in 2020. Wouldn't mind bringing in a young guy with SMU blood again.

Agree with your first paragraph.. this wouldn’t be a very good offense under any OC given the lack of talent, depth, and injuries.

Disagree with the second paragraph. I didn’t love Lashlee, but this offense would most definitely be better under him right now.

Like many have said, we are running plays that are doomed to fail before the ball is snapped, reminiscent of Enos. Bad tempo, predictable play calling, terrible route tree and 3 receivers within 5 yards of each other on some plays.

We would be starting at “square one” regardless if it’s gattis or someone else next year. And the majority of modern day college offenses don’t differ much personal and recruiting wise. Not like we’re going spread after running Paul Johnson’s offense for decades…

There is 0 reason to keep Gattis around considering recruits don’t even want to play in his trash scheme.
But Lashlee struggled during the beginning of his career at Miami. He didn't get hot till the last few games of the 2021 season, when he had time to for his Q.B to be fully immersed with the playbook. It takes some time for a coordinator to come in day one and be successful, especially when you gave a group of kids that are lazy and have no interest learning from our talented coaching staff.

I know people may not like that response, but if you really think about it, I am really not that wrong. I am fine with firing Gattis, just no we go back to square one and we have to start this whole process over again. Personally, I think Mario is going to keep Gattis, thats just my gut feeling. But he continues to surprise me and seems to keep things away from the media and people on all these fan pages.

Advertisement
I would like for us to go after a young, hungry OC from a smaller school. Someone who is dying to make a name for himself and stop at nothing to make a statement every week, never letting his foot off the gas.
We could probably get a guy like that for a decent price, too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let the fun begin, lol.

Scott is interesting name that I hadn’t thought about. He is definitely getting the boot but don’t think that’d be a good move. Even at Clemson, he wasn’t a super X and O’s guy who was amazing at scheming it up IMO. He shined at Clemson because they had generational college QB’s and an elite hit rate when recruiting WR’s. He deserves credit for that, and he maximized all of those guys for sure but as we can see at USF, he isn’t really doing more with less…and we need someone that has a proven track record of doing that ie scheming and X and O’ing their way to success offensively regardless of their personnel. Scott will definitely get a job, but that would be extremely risky and something we can’t afford to do. JMO

Jeff Scott all day. Was thinking about this the other day. Some guys are just better coordinators than head coaches. Would be a great recruiter and great offense. Probably would be here for a while too.

Tough call, can't be a totally unproven guy...reason we are in this mess is we kept hiring guys that had never done it in the big stage
That's the same thing some of us said about Ken Dorsey. There are a lot of guys out there that HAVE experience and they still **** the bed when it comes to play calling. It ain't my money, but paying a muhfucca **** near $2mil for the results we've gotten this year, is the definition of hustling backwards.

I am putting all my faith in Mario. Whether he decides to keep Gattis or get a new OC, I will ride with him. What fans fail to remember is that our players don't fit his scheme what so ever. Lets look at Michigan in 2021; they had one of the best o-lines in the county paired with a very strong running back group. Their wrs were pretty good as well. Miami currently has a depleted offensive line, basically only 1 running back (Parrish), and a inconsonant level of play from the wr group. We don't have the personal to run a pound and ground offense. Should gattis have done a better job adjusting the scheme to fit the players we have on the roster? Absolutely. But, that's also hard when you have players that don't wanna buy into our program and have bad mindsets (thanks Diaz).

Also, what is brining in a new OC going realy going to do? It literally puts us back at square one. We don't have the talent to keep bring in a new OC every season and expect them to be successful day one. Only Bama, Georgia and OSU had the talent to adapt that quickly. Whatever OC we decide, we need to base our recruiting classes around our scheme
huh?

yeah no

Ryan Grubb Washington OC, was at Fresno State, Eastern Michigan and Siuox Falls before that. Has coached offensive line, run game coordinator and even a stregnth and conditioning coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back