The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Assuming Gattis gets sh't canned at the end of the season who are the candidates you want to see take over the offense?

My list:

Tom Herman: His offense got better every year at Texas finishing 7th in scoring the year he was fired.
Scott Frost: Failed as HC at Nebraska, but that may just be a dead program. Runs an uptempo spread offense that Florida athletes would thrive in.
Dan Mullen: Runs a power spread that's been successful everywhere he's been. I don't like how he uses his QB as a battering ram though.
Art Briles: We all know his story. Probably done coaching in college but would be a homerun hire at OC.

The above are all available.

Candidates below who are currently employed:

Jeff Scott: Current HC of South Florida that parlayed Clemson offensive success into a HC gig. The decline in efficiency immediately after he left Clemson was noticeable. Runs a power spread that would mesh with Cristobal's vision. Has won 4 games in 3 years at USF. May get fired after this season.
Alex Golesh: His name came up during our search to fill the staff. Only way I'd see him leave for a lateral position is if Heupel is the one calling plays and Golesh wants the reins. I couldn't find confirmation on who calls their plays.
Andrew Sowder: I've seen somebody mention him a couple times so adding him to the list. Took over the 104th scoring offense in 2018 at Kent State and had them #1 by 2020.
Warren Ruggiero: One of the prototypical "does less with more" coaches coordinating that Wake Forest offense. Since 2017 has averaged at least 30 points each season with the last two hovering around 40ppg.

Who'd you add to this list as names to watch/explore?

Lmao

Hopefully Mario sees that we need a scheme change on offense. The former players of the program has to lead this charge imo behind closed doors with Mario. Since we all know Mario respects them

I cant believe the Falcons resigned Matt Bryant. Crazy

Seriously though, there was a pretty good contingent on this board that didnt want Kendal. They kept pointing to the FSU year and that his route trees are super simple, having like 6 routes to them, so its easy to scheme against.

Im still not sure if Mario even interviewed him, but he did not turn down the job. That was his agent trying to drub up a 2nd buyer to force Arky's AD into a bigger contract. If we do move on from Gattis, he should be at least considered imo.
TRUE

Advertisement
I wouldn't be surprised if Gattis is fired that Mullen would get a call.
so many of you are saying Mullen. I guess I wonder if he would work for mario - is he detailed and a hard enough grinder? He never seemed like he was about that life at UF.

I have a hard time seeing him and Mario working together. He seems so weird, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gattis is fired that Mullen would get a call.
I would be VERY surprised if that happens and this has nothing to do with the style of offense Mullen runs.
If Philip Montgomery from Tulsa gets fired, id definitely look at him. Was the Art Briles OC at Baylor before Kendal Briles.
This is an interesting name.
Someone who chews the same dirt as

Since we are unlikely to get Alex Golesh. The only two Heupel disciples that would be available are Joey Halzale the QBC in Knoxville whose been around heupel for a long freaking time and Anthony Tucker who was Co-OC at UCF with Golesh and is now the OC at Utah State.
Freaking agree.

Advertisement
Mixed feelings about Mullen. He’s just a weird guy.

But, he did help groom some successful QBs with Urban, and could turn Jacuri into a weapon.
But, Rashada doesn‘t seem that style of QB, although neither was Trask.
But, he’s not known as a recruiter and Mario wants coaches who recruit.

I’d make the phone call.

Mullen’s getting his buyout from UF and may want to start restarting his career.

Mixed feelings about Mullen. He’s just a weird guy.

But, he did help groom some successful QBs with Urban, and could turn Jacuri into a weapon.
But, Rashada doesn‘t seem that style of QB, although neither was Trask.
But, he’s not known as a recruiter and Mario wants coaches who recruit.

I’d make the phone call.

Mullen’s getting his buyout from UF and may want to start restarting his career.
I like Mullen in his play-calling role and scheming but his rumored disdain for recruiting is what I fear. Yeah we can say Mario will make up for it but that's like settling on a hypothetical girl that isn't compatible with you when you're single. If we have an opening we should at least try to get someone who will run a high-powered offense that can recruit. However Mullen is, ughh, on my list for sure.

Phil Longo
Garrett Riley

Those are my top two…. If they both tell me no I’m calling Dan Mullen because I know he’ll accept the job and he’ll get this offense rolling. He’s done it everywhere he’s been at with whatever he can stick together because he sucks Azzz as a recruiter…. But I don’t care because that’s what Mario and the rest of the crew are doing.

I'd give Mullen and Mario about a week before they're in couples therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back