The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair and take an L, I was reminded by @gogeta4 and @Cribby 's exchange that Mullen pursued the Miami HC job on three separate occasions. He might very well take the Canes OC gig as stepping stone to resuming his career.
Mullen can flat out coach Offense man. He schemes up points like crazy with lesser talent. If 0 doesn’t fumble in the SEC title game idk if that great bama 2020 team wins that game

Advertisement
I hate to even give props to them, but that UF offense the year Trask was the starter was prolific. Used the **** out of a receiving tight end (hello, Arroyo and more so Skinner) as well as backs rushing /receiving. As others have mentioned, he’s goofy as **** and a terrible recruiter but as OC I’d be very intrigued.
#1 pick in the OC draft for me

I cant believe the Falcons resigned Matt Bryant. Crazy

Seriously though, there was a pretty good contingent on this board that didnt want Kendal. They kept pointing to the FSU year and that his route trees are super simple, having like 6 routes to them, so its easy to scheme against.

Im still not sure if Mario even interviewed him, but he did not turn down the job. That was his agent trying to drub up a 2nd buyer to force Arky's AD into a bigger contract. If we do move on from Gattis, he should be at least considered imo.
This. Kendal Briles was not even given consideration by Mario. I would have loved to see him here but the whole story of him interviewing here was just his agent trying to milk extra cash from Arkansas

But Lashlee struggled during the beginning of his career at Miami. He didn't get hot till the last few games of the 2021 season, when he had time to for his Q.B to be fully immersed with the playbook. It takes some time for a coordinator to come in day one and be successful, especially when you gave a group of kids that are lazy and have no interest learning from our talented coaching staff.
His first year in Miami was their highest scoring offense against FBS opponents since 2002.

Advertisement
But Lashlee struggled during the beginning of his career at Miami. He didn't get hot till the last few games of the 2021 season, when he had time to for his Q.B to be fully immersed with the playbook. It takes some time for a coordinator to come in day one and be successful, especially when you gave a group of kids that are lazy and have no interest learning from our talented coaching staff.

The difference is you could see early on that Lashlee and his passing game gave Miami a competitive advantage schematically. His run game left a lot to be desired.

I can count on one hand the number of Gattis play calls that were anything close to what Lashlee designed.

The difference is you could see early on that Lashlee and his passing game gave Miami a competitive advantage schematically. His run game left a lot to be desired.

I can count on one hand the number of Gattis play calls that were anything close to what Lashlee designed.
Gattis isnt running his own scheme, I hope you realize that. He literally cant with only 1 runningback, a depleted offensive line and only Young at wr. He is calling plays that he has never used before. Meanwhile Lashlee had a healthy TVD and two talented wrs (Harley and Rambo).

Its also no coincidence that he has succeed at every other program accept Miami? I wonder why that is

Its also no coincidence that he has succeed at every other program accept Miami? I wonder why that is

Are you dumb???

Define Gattis succeeding at his previous spots. He was basically neutered last year at Mich by Matt Weiss. At Bama he never called plays and had nothing but first round picks at WR when he was a position coach

But go ahead and keep banging the Gattis drum….

Advertisement
Gattis isnt running his own scheme, I hope you realize that. He literally cant with only 1 runningback, a depleted offensive line and only Young at wr. He is calling plays that he has never used before. Meanwhile Lashlee had a healthy TVD and two talented wrs (Harley and Rambo).

You need to find a different board to post at.

It’s been documented how much Gattis falls back on the same dozen plays or so, specifically mesh concepts, where receivers end up in the same area

Are you dumb???

Define Gattis succeeding at his previous spots. He was basically neutered last year at Mich by Matt Weiss. At Bama he never called plays and had nothing but first round picks at WR when he was a position coach

But go ahead and keep banging the Gattis drum….
Gattis did very well as passing game coordinator at Penn state, especially with all those circumstances. He helped called plays at bama and was apart of a VERY successful offense at Bama. Oh and he was the best coordinator in college last season. That same scheme he brought to Michigan is the same one that is being used during their 8-0 run this season

Gattis did very well as passing game coordinator at Penn state, especially with all those circumstances. He helped called plays at bama and was apart of a VERY successful offense at Bama. Oh and he was the best coordinator in college last season. That same scheme he brought to Michigan is the same one that is being used during their 8-0 run this season
Guess we found Josh’s CIS account.

You clearly are related to Josh Gattis

I hope his next school loves him as much as you do

Advertisement
Advertisement
Added a few more names to the OP that have mentioned in the replies:

Garrett Riley: Younger brother of Lincoln. Has coordinated three offenses (including this season) and had the 15th, 10th and currently 3rd scoring offense.
Brian Hartline: Current Ohio State WR coach. Never coordinated on offense before, but is among the most elite recruiters. Can he run his own offense? Learned offense under some of the best in his time at Ohio State. Would need to leave his alma mater to further advance his career.
Phil Longo: Current UNC OC. Unlikely to leave UNC and their great young QB for a lateral position, but runs the type of offense that would thrive at Miami
Robert Anae: Well traveled OC. Has made stops at Hawaii, BYU, Arizona (under Rich Rod), Texas Tech (under Leach) and now Syracuse (under Dino Babers) among others.
Scott Satterfield: Current Louisville HC, previously App State's OC and the HC. Was also OC under Cristobal at FIU. Was flirting with the hot seat earlier this season after a slow start, but at 5-3 that's probably cooled off. Runs a spread that Miami needs.
Willy Korn: Current Coastal Carolina OC. Runs a read option and RPO modern offense that Miami has sorely been lacking. Huge part in that program's emergence.
Larry Fedora: Where the **** is he these days? Former UNC HC, Oklahoma State OC. Spread offense. Is he still interested in coaching?
Kevin Sumlin: Current HC of a team in the USFL. Is that where he wants to be? Another offensive mind that's learned the way of the spread offense.
Jason Candle: A name that was mentioned on our last search. Current Toledo HC. Similar to Satterfield came into the season possibly on the hot seat, but at 6-3 is probably safe where he's at.
Phillip Montgomery: Current Tulsa HC. Possibly on the hot seat with a 3-5 record this season, and sub .500 record as HC there. Former OC at Baylor under Briles so he knows the ways of the demonic veer n shoot offense.

Herman or Frost would be home runs.

Frost is a risk imo.

His offenses at Oregon were heavily influenced by Kelly, and Lebby had a big influence on that UCF offense.

His offenses were abysmal at Nebraska and I don't what it'll look like on his own. Not saying it wouldn't work out but id hessitate to call it a sure thing or a home run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back