The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. We have “recruiters”. I use the quotations because Coach Cristobal is really the guy carrying the load in most cases but point remains. We need coaches and developers of talent. Same old song.
w Mario, all you need is solid results ont he field. show an exciting andproductive offense and Mario will land the smiths and traders of the world

Advertisement
There are a lot of capable & overlooked coaches at the lower levels who never get the opportunity. Chip Kelly was at New Hampshire before he got the Oregon OC gig.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if the actual best available OC is some guy at FCS who will never get a look.

I’d rather roll the dice on a Boys n Girls Club coach from Montana than allow Gattis another year

And that sounds like the right answer, but it doesn't make Mullen the right answer for us. Just like many of us have talked about evals on players for years, the same guiding principle holds true for coaches as well. In addition to what you stated above, there's also the need for the OC to put together a cohesive offensive staff and not just have a bunch of individual parts that don't fit together. My biggest beef with Mullen is that he is an incredibly awkward guy. I'm sure people haven't forgotten those really weird press conferences where it looked like he needed professional help, or when the SEC Network called him out for his behavioral tendencies. I can't imagine that Mario wants to take that risk with Mullen on the 2nd go around at OC. He would be better off getting someone like Seth Littrell, Garrett Riley, etc over Mullen. Thankfully, Mullen isn't the only answer. There are other excellent options available to us.

And you know what that sounds like to me?

A mistake.

And you know what that sounds like to me?

A mistake.

We can agree to disagree which is fine. Mullen is too much of a liability for Mario if he goes off the reservation again like he did at his last stop. Mario doesn't have the currency to keep firing OCs year after year. If he does hire Mullen, I'd be excited to see what he could do, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Well my list of desired OC’s keeps getting diminished

I still hate Brett McMurphy and Josh Gattis tho

Advertisement
He was never posted in here as a candidate for Miami, but Bobby Petrino is headed to UNLV to be their OC.

We can agree to disagree which is fine. Mullen is too much of a liability for Mario if he goes off the reservation again like he did at his last stop. Mario doesn't have the currency to keep firing OCs year after year. If he does hire Mullen, I'd be excited to see what he could do, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work out.
Although Mullen is my #1 pick for OC, I think what you said is very true. Look, nothing is for sure in this world. Everything's an educated guess. If we did get Mullen and he was the focused version of Mullen with the idea that he comes to the U, kills it for 2 years and then gets another top HC job, then there wouldn't be anyone better in the market. IF we get that version of Mullen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back