The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say open the **** check book for Riley. Pay that man and his handpicked staffers whatever the **** they want. Less so for Seth Littrell, but I'd be over moon for that hire too. There are very few coordinators I wouldn't take over Josh Gattis lol.

Advertisement
I say open the **** check book for Riley. Pay that man and his handpicked staffers whatever the **** they want. Less so for Seth Littrell, but I'd be over moon for that hire too. There are very few coordinators I wouldn't take over Josh Gattis lol.

I’d go out on a limb and say I’d rather have Matt Patricia as our OC than Gattis

So. Do we really panic if someone hires Riley from TCU??

Sonny Dykes is a super chill boss. Riley is going to be a head coach, if not this year than next year. IMHO He's not going to come work for a hard *** like Mario when he can stay put and get an HC job very soon.

Also, thought I read he passed on $3M/year from aTm to be their OC.

Sonny Dykes is a super chill boss. Riley is going to be a head coach, if not this year than next year. IMHO He's not going to come work for a hard *** like Mario when he can stay put and get an HC job very soon.

Also, thought I read he passed on $3M/year from aTm to be their OC.
A&M is in a tough spot trying to hire an OC. OC game plans and Jimbo still calls plays on game day?

Advertisement
We can agree to disagree which is fine. Mullen is too much of a liability for Mario if he goes off the reservation again like he did at his last stop. Mario doesn't have the currency to keep firing OCs year after year. If he does hire Mullen, I'd be excited to see what he could do, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work out.

Yeah, we definitely disagree. I've long maintained that Mario's strengths as a coach run from Sundays until Friday night. He's a great face to your program and parents love him....that is a skill and he deserves credit for it.

But he sucks on Saturdays. To win with a coach like Mario you have to do what LSU did with Orgeron...and that's surround him with bad *** coordinators who excel in gameday X's and O's. I'll also say that Mario would do well to surround himself with an OC with HC experience....so that he can lean on that on gamedays as well.

At some point in his career Mario is going to have to figure out he, like all of us, have strengths and weaknesses. His weakness is one that requires a VERY specific staff makeup. Passing on Mullen would be all kinds of stupidity wrapped in foolishness.

If you don't like Mullen, you really don't want to hear who I'd recommend as a plan B. I FIRMLY believe that an OC's ability or inability to recruit shouldn't even come into consideration in this particular situation. It's an irrelevant skill for the position due to it's redundancy within the current makeup of the staff.

But then again, there's a reason we've been one of the worst run programs in CFB over the last 20 years. Nothing happens by accident.

Yeah, we definitely disagree. I've long maintained that Mario's strengths as a coach run from Sundays until Friday night. He's a great face to your program and parents love him....that is a skill and he deserves credit for it.

But he sucks on Saturdays. To win with a coach like Mario you have to do what LSU did with Orgeron...and that's surround him with bad *** coordinators who excel in gameday X's and O's. I'll also say that Mario would do well to surround himself with an OC with HC experience....so that he can lean on that on gamedays as well.

At some point in his career Mario is going to have to figure out he, like all of us, have strengths and weaknesses. His weakness is one that requires a VERY specific staff makeup. Passing on Mullen would be all kinds of stupidity wrapped in foolishness.

If you don't like Mullen, you really don't want to hear who I'd recommend as a plan B. I FIRMLY believe that an OC's ability or inability to recruit shouldn't even come into consideration in this particular situation. It's an irrelevant skill for the position due to it's redundancy within the current makeup of the staff.

But then again, there's a reason we've been one of the worst run programs in CFB over the last 20 years. Nothing happens by accident.
In 2019, Oregon was 12-2 with Marcus Arroyo and Andy Avalon as his coordinators. Were they "bad *** coordinators who excel in gamely X's and O's"?

I bet if I asked you that yesterday, you would have said, "F- No".

Tbh, I haven’t followed his career but his offensive #s and QB list is impressive. But something doesn’t seem to add up. Why is he at FIU? Should have a better job than that

There a backstory there?

He's got a "Leach" "I don't give ****; I'm gonna score as much as I can on you" attitude about him.
Doesn't sit well with respectable coaching hierarchies.... he is the opposite of Mario.
Trust me, if we hire him, he will revolutionize the Canes back to their hated ways in "running it up Texas' ***" kinda way.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1671143911350.jpeg

In 2019, Oregon was 12-2 with Marcus Arroyo and Andy Avalon as his coordinators. Were they "bad *** coordinators who excel in gamely X's and O's"?

I bet if I asked you that yesterday, you would have said, "F- No".

That example actually illustrates my point. No, they weren't great coordinators. Yes, he had a team that consisted of one of the best O-lines in the country and a future first round stud QB. All this while playing in what, at the time, was not a great PAC 12.

When you look up "wasted opportunity" in the dictionary, there's a team picture of that squad.

Advertisement
He's got a "Leach" "I don't give ****; I'm gonna score as much as I can on you" attitude about him.
Doesn't sit well with respectable coaching hierarchies.... he is the opposite of Mario.
Trust me, if we hire him, he will revolutionize the Canes back to their hated ways in "running it up Texas' ***" kinda way.
Go watch his practices on YOUTUBE...Better yet....go watch his offenses at Utah St and Missouri, when he actually had talent to work with. Not FIU where he has nothing but a Great WR and decent RB. His rushing attack at Missouri was outstanding.

That example actually illustrates my point. No, they weren't great coordinators. Yes, he had a team that consisted of one of the best O-lines in the country and a future first round stud QB. All this while playing in what, at the time, was not a great PAC 12.

When you look up "wasted opportunity" in the dictionary, there's a team picture of that squad.
It actually doesn't prove your point. It contradicts your point. For instance, you said that Mario needs great coordinators in order to succeed......and these coordinators must be great at X's and O's. We all agree that Arroyo and Avalon (whoever the F he is) are not great coordinators but Mario went 12-2. So, yeah, your original comment has issues.

It actually doesn't prove your point. It contradicts your point. For instance, you said that Mario needs great coordinators in order to succeed......and these coordinators must be great at X's and O's. We all agree that Arroyo and Avalon (whoever the F he is) are not great coordinators but Mario went 12-2. So, yeah, your original comment has issues.
Then you don’t get the point . If we had the squad that Oregon had that year and lost two games with an ACC( or PAC 12) schedule , we’d all be ****ed . That was not a good two losses

Advertisement
Then you don’t get the point . If we had the squad that Oregon had that year and lost two games with an ACC( or PAC 12) schedule , we’d all be ****ed . That was not a good two losses
Again, your comment was about him not being able to win without great coordinators. We all agree that Arroyo and Avalon were awful coordinators. But yet they went 12-2, and those two losses were both by less than a touchdown. 12-2 with a Rose bowl victory is a great season at Oregon. But I know you won't admit that your original comment was horse****, so imma forget about it.

Go watch his practices on YOUTUBE...Better yet....go watch his offenses at Utah St and Missouri, when he actually had talent to work with. Not FIU where he has nothing but a Great WR and decent RB. His rushing attack at Missouri was outstanding.
Man .... at the VERY LEAST bring him in as the PASSING GAME COORDINATOR / QB coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back