The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see Mullen be the guy if I'm looking at this in a vaccum, but I could imagine that Mario and Mullen would bump heads, especially if Mullen thinks he's a better coach and doesn't want to recruit. Mullen is a weird dude.

Advertisement
I would love to see Mullen be the guy if I'm looking at this in a vaccum, but I could imagine that Mario and Mullen would bump heads, especially if Mullen thinks he's a better coach and doesn't want to recruit. Mullen is a weird dude.

An OC not wanting to recruit is an extremely stupid reason NOT to hire said OC.

Can he call plays? Can he manage a game? Can he take inventory of his offensive assets and build a scheme around that talent that maximizes their strengths?

The ability to recruit is about the 8,397th most important thing on the "To-do" list for an OC candidate. Mario needs to let that ridiculous line of logic go.

A quality OC does his recruiting by putting together a quality offensive scheme that shows out on gameday and provides fans and parents of prospective recruits with a positive connotation of the program's gameday management. Period.

Can he call plays? Can he manage a game? Can he take inventory of his offensive assets and build a scheme around that talent that maximizes their strengths?

The ability to recruit is about the 8,397th most important thing on the "To-do" list for an OC candidate. Mario needs to let that ridiculous line of logic go.

A quality OC does his recruiting by putting together a quality offensive scheme that shows out on gameday and provides fans and parents of prospective recruits with a positive connotation of the program's gameday management. Period.

Yeah, it’s not like Gattis is a sniper on the trail

And don’t any of you clowns bring up his time as a WR coach at Bama or Penn St….

Gattis’ ability to leech off the success from coaches around and above him is Michael Jordan level

Advertisement
So???....He had the #1 Offense in America in 2017 at Utah St....his Offenses at Missouri both receiving and rushing were the best in the Big12...and for the Mike Leach lovers (RIP) he coached WRs under him....Lol at getting fired...absolutely meaningless. His resume speaks for itself. Go Google David Yost...that'll tell you how Good his offenses were. All his players rave about him...From Justin Herbert...to Dak Prescott....
Tbh, I haven’t followed his career but his offensive #s and QB list is impressive. But something doesn’t seem to add up. Why is he at FIU? Should have a better job than that

There a backstory there?

Agree. We have “recruiters”. I use the quotations because Coach Cristobal is really the guy carrying the load in most cases but point remains. We need coaches and developers of talent. Same old song.

Agree. We have “recruiters”. I use the quotations because Coach Cristobal is really the guy carrying the load in most cases but point remains. We need coaches and developers of talent. Same old song.
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

So???....He had the #1 Offense in America in 2017 at Utah St....his Offenses at Missouri both receiving and rushing were the best in the Big12...and for the Mike Leach lovers (RIP) he coached WRs under him....Lol at getting fired...absolutely meaningless. His resume speaks for itself. Go Google David Yost...that'll tell you how Good his offenses were. All his players rave about him...From Justin Herbert...to Dak Prescott....

I did type up David Yost and all I got was some former power ranger

Attachments

• David_Yost_Photo_Op_GalaxyCon_Richmond_2022_(cropped).jpg
    David_Yost_Photo_Op_GalaxyCon_Richmond_2022_(cropped).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 5
Advertisement
Some other Moorehead guys:

Luke Getsy (Chicago Bears OC) - obviously not an option unless he gets fired
Andrew Breiner (assistant QB coach Jax Jags)

And that sounds like the right answer, but it doesn't make Mullen the right answer for us. Just like many of us have talked about evals on players for years, the same guiding principle holds true for coaches as well. In addition to what you stated above, there's also the need for the OC to put together a cohesive offensive staff and not just have a bunch of individual parts that don't fit together. My biggest beef with Mullen is that he is an incredibly awkward guy. I'm sure people haven't forgotten those really weird press conferences where it looked like he needed professional help, or when the SEC Network called him out for his behavioral tendencies. I can't imagine that Mario wants to take that risk with Mullen on the 2nd go around at OC. He would be better off getting someone like Seth Littrell, Garrett Riley, etc over Mullen. Thankfully, Mullen isn't the only answer. There are other excellent options available to us.

Advertisement
Tbh, I haven’t followed his career but his offensive #s and QB list is impressive. But something doesn’t seem to add up. Why is he at FIU? Should have a better job than that

There a backstory there?
Spent 96-2000 at Toledo, Asst coach QB's & Recruiting coordinator under Luke Fikel
-2001-2008 Missouri Recruiting Coor + QB Coach
-2009-2010 Missouri OC / QB Coach / Recruiting coordinator
-2011-2012 Missouri Asst HC / OC / Recruiting Coord / QB coach
-2013-2015 Wash State *** Coach WR Coach
-2016 Oregon Passing Game Coordinator / QB coach
-2017-2018 - Utah State OC / QB coach
-2019-2020 Texas Tech OC / QB coach (hired by new HC Matt Wells .. who was fired in 2021)

Extensive work with QB's and recruiting. Had some really productive offenses at Missouri and Utah State. Wells had problems at Texas Tech and didn't last long. He was coaching QB's and working as an OC while Gattis was playing Safety in college.

I know Yost is a Canes name for a long time now but are we really going to believe hiring FIU’s OC is the answer?
There are a lot of capable & overlooked coaches at the lower levels who never get the opportunity. Chip Kelly was at New Hampshire before he got the Oregon OC gig.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if the actual best available OC is some guy at FCS who will never get a look.

Advertisement
There are a lot of capable & overlooked coaches at the lower levels who never get the opportunity. Chip Kelly was at New Hampshire before he got the Oregon OC gig.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if the actual best available OC is some guy at FCS who will never get a look.

Yeah I get that lol but FIU isn’t that and he’s got enough experience and a Rolodex of contacts I’d assume he could have done better than FIU

I can't imagine that Mario wants to take that risk with Mullen on the 2nd go around at OC. He would be better off getting someone like Seth Littrell, Garrett Riley, etc over Mullen. Thankfully, Mullen isn't the only answer. There are other excellent options available to us.

Mullen would be the least riskiest hire in the whole country.

The problem with that logic is that you're only looking at upside without taking into account his known downside risk. The analysis is flawed and doesn't take into account the risk Mario takes in hiring a head case. If this wasn't Mario's mulligan and had been his first hire, the argument could be made that the risk is worth taking. He can't make that mistake the 2nd time around. It's a bad eval, particularly when there are other coaches out there who can solve for Miami's problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back