The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well that sucks. trying to figure out who MC could be looking at at this point unless it's Garrett Riley or an NFL guy.

Who could he be looking at? Well his previous OC at Oregon for starters. Mario will even get to say he has a former HC as OC with Arroyo.

Advertisement
Yea there is large list of OCs whom informed fans are saying there is "no chance" Miami hires for reasons that are not completely clear.

Garret Riley? lol never
Dan Mullen? no chance

Still haven't gotten an insider to explain to me Mario's specific offensive design preferences outside of "run and be physical".
"informed fans" lmfao

Lol this would not succeed
I'm guessing the list of people that would take that job is small... No OC wants to risk going to work for Jimbo and letting them meddle with their offense while he is on the verge of being fired.

Advertisement
Miami is in a solid position to get a high quality OC for many reasons:
1. Mario is safe for minimum 5 years
2. Money
3. You get Miami O rolling and a lot of eyes will be on you for promotion
4. Mario can recruit you some horses to play
5. Live in Miami

Advertisement
And you can argue that Mario has tons of momentum last year? Now? Mario didn’t exactly dispel his reputation of where offense’s go to die
If Gattis wasn't Mario's 1-3 choices (at least), do you know who was? I know we've all heard Dorsey was on top, with Candle and Rees' names sprinkled in. But was that really it?

Because if Tommy Rees, Jason Candle and Josh Gattis were his best options WITH momentum.. then now we're ****ed.

If Gattis wasn't Mario's 1-3 choices (at least), do you know who was? I know we've all heard Dorsey was on top, with Candle and Rees' names sprinkled in. But was that really it?

Because if Tommy Rees, Jason Candle and Josh Gattis were his best options WITH momentum.. then now we're ****ed.

Exactly. We were close to hiring tommy friggin rees. I think people are forgetting how close we were to hiring other dolts to be OC. This hire is huge for Mario - his most important hire of his tenure here.

Man I really just want Brady, who are the best guys out there that run this exact stuff?

Fan summary of "Joe Brady at LSU" offense
https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...film-room-breaking-down-the-joe-brady-offense
https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2...eetz-sake-part-one-joe-brady-levels-and-drive

Horizontal Stretches
These are pretty simple, basically, the idea of a horizontal stretch is to put a defender, or multiple defenders, in a bind from left to right.

Vertical Stretches
This is basically the same principle, but vertically. It is colloquially known as a hi-lo.

In true West Coast fashion, these principles basically define what Joe Brady is trying to do to you in the passing game. Now let’s get into a couple of ways he achieves this.

Drive

A drive concept is basically a shallow cross paired with a dig route The drive concept is something that Joe Brady likes to pair backside to other concepts to create a full field read for the QB. He will frontside it with a lot of things, sometimes a post wheel combo, sometimes just a sideline vertical, but most often he pairs it with a smash concept. featuring a corner route by the X-receiver and a flat by the running back.

smashdrive.PNG.png

Levels

Levels is a very similar concept to drive, just featuring more of a quick in breaker, option or hitch from the underneath receiver instead of a shallow cross. It is used effectively often as a zone beater, putting a hook or apex defender in a vertical stretch. It is a great concept to keep your QB in rhythm with. It’s often put on the backside of a man beater give the QB a side of the field to read against man and a side against zone. That way you have an answer for either.

Weak side option route​

Brady brought over that concept from the Superdome to Tiger Stadium. LSU would motion or line up one of their running backs to the weak-side in a 3x1 or 3x2 formation. The wide receiver, usually Ja’Marr Chase, would line up in the slot. As Galina states here, the option gives the receiver multiple options based on the alignment of the defender.

The option route gives the slot receiver three choices predicated on the how the defender on top of him is playing. Essentially, he’s doing the opposite of that defender. After about 4-5 yards, if the guy is playing inside, run out. If he’s playing outside, run inside on a slant. If you feel like he’s playing deeper in zone, you sit down and hook up

Glance route RPO​

Before joining the Saints, Joe Brady was a grad assistant at Penn State under Joe Moorhead. It was in Happy Valley where Brady became immersed with Moorhead’s RPO offense. The glance route is a common route tagged in an RPO. The offense is attempting to replace the conflict defender by running a 5-step vertical slant to replace the safety rolling and filling.

I didn’t wanna put it in the gattis thread because I didn’t wanna get ppls hopes up that he got canned

Embarrassing, not to mention seeing Florida state at 7

1670885162723.png

Advertisement
Busy weekend, just getting around to updating the OP to remove Phillip Montgomery who was hired to be Auburn's OC.

Also added Joe Brady even though I don't think he has any interest in returning to the college game.

Also added Joe Brady even though I don't think he has any interest in returning to the college game.
I don’t see Brady being interested at all. If we being realistic what our kind of candidate, we looking at scangrello

Advertisement
I think every insider has made it clear that cohesion was an issue this year. I think that’s what Mario is going to value above all else this year, not a splashy hire. May end up being splashy but I don’t think that’s going to be the intent. Biggest thing we need here is a great on field product, not a splashy hire. If we miraculously turn around our offense, I think Mario will absolutely crush it in recruiting

Just got somebody that runs a simple to pick up college offense, with a track record of it working at the college level.

This isn’t overly complicated. Mario just makes it complicated unfortunately.
If I had to guess they specifically want a "read the whole field" offense and they think the Heupel thing where the QB reads the 2nd level option route of half the field is too much of a mickey mouse gimmick.

Need a coach who is good at teaching if they are gonna go with a more complicated offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back