The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The more I think of it the more Anae makes the most sense. Develops qb's, utilizes the entire field, brings balanced run/pass approach, and has done a lot with less. Not sure if he can recruit at the highest level but we have enough on that side to make up for any deficiencies there. You lure him with 💵 and the ability to bring a couple assistants of his choosing and let's ride.
Anae’s WR coach was the WR coach at Oregon under Mario (Michael Johnson). He could vouch for Anae (if Mario respects Johnson)

Advertisement
Mario is going to pull from his tree. That's just what he does.

DD3C7D5D-602D-41C6-A0D9-A2C8360BB406.jpeg

Mario looking at his coaching tree while realizing he can’t call a timeout…

Advertisement
No more big ten crap

Wilson's offenses have been, statistically, some of the best in the country. I don't think he's a HC, but, his results as an OC, at multiple P5s, speak for themself. Plus, I'm sure a few years along side Ryan Day hasn't hurt him either. I don't know why he'd consider a lateral move but I definitely wouldn't complain

Wilson's offenses have been, statistically, some of the best in the country. I don't think he's a HC, but, his results as an OC, at multiple P5s, speak for themself. Plus, I'm sure a few years along side Ryan Day hasn't hurt him either. I don't know why he'd consider a lateral move but I definitely wouldn't complain

Lol, no one would complain. It would be an A++++ hire…but it’s about a .000000000001% chance of that happening.

Advertisement
Like Golesh, it may not be considered lateral if they’re actually calling plays. Wilson has been there since 17 and still not doing something he’s done for a good part of his career. Him leaving wouldn’t be inconceivable. To us though? Idk

Advertisement
Like Golesh, it may not be considered lateral if they’re actually calling plays. Wilson has been there since 17 and still not doing something he’s done for a good part of his career. Him leaving wouldn’t be inconceivable. To us though? Idk
One concern is I think Kevin Wilson would be more involved with the OL considering he is an OL guy and I’m not sure what his feelings on already having Mario/ Mirabel running that. I’d prefer a QB guy, but I would still be happy asf with Wilson.

Anae? The current OC at Syracuse? An offense that ranks 93rd nationally, 7 spots behind Miami?

Meanwhile Briles offense at Arkansas is ranked 19th nationally.

Jeff Grimes

Honestly he aligns with what Mario wants as far as prioritizing the run and he isn’t in the stone ages in terms of philosophy either. Baylor’s O last year with him there in year 1 was balanced and fun to watch and PUT UP POINTS and finished with a top 40 scoring offense. Even though their team isn’t as good this year overall, their scoring offense has improved in year 2 with a new QB scoring 34+ a game. Probably best case realistic scenario in terms of style and he does more with less consistently. I’m sure we can pay him more than what he is making at Baylor but he has an OL background too, so idk the mesh there with Mirabal but I wouldn’t be upset with that at all. His offenses at BYU put up tons of points as well and it’s not like BYU had athletes.

I know we all want the Garrett Riley’s of the world but that isn’t ever happening under Mario guys. I think Grimes would be good. He has done more with less and runs well coached units that are effiicient and put up points. He doesn’t have much of a recruiting rep IIRC but we need more coaches less recruiters. Bottomline, he should definitely get a call.

Herman is the dream. Briles is a no brainer IMO but after that fiasco last year I doubt the wheels get spun there again. Mullen is someone I have screamed for that I think would turn this O around quick and I would give Longo a call as well just because but Grimes is up there for me too. Again, I’m only naming guys that I think would be realistic. Grimes isn’t an A+ hire like Herman would be but he is a proven guy that has done it on his own at several spots and RECENTLY. Baylor was big 12 champs last year with Aranda who is a defensive guy that gave the keys to Grimes and they got it done. This year the unit is even better and he does it with recruits that rank near the bottom of his respective conference. Call that man and see if he is interested.

"In 2021 Grimes, a native of Garland, Texas, brought his “RVO” philosophy to Waco. The “Reliable Violent Offense” is an attacking, multiple-formation offense that runs a few plays in many ways with as much misdirection as any team in the country." - Simplicity is what we need. Not an NFL scheme that the players cant grasp and execute.

"Prior to coming to Baylor, Grimes directed a high-powered offense at BYU in 2020 that finished its season ranked in the top-15 of 10 different statistical categories, including scoring (3rd, 43.5 ppg), total offense (7th, 522.2 ypg) and passing offense (8th, 332.1 ppg).

With Grimes at the helm, the 2020 BYU Cougars tied for the national lead in yards per play at 7.84, and led all of FBS in plays of 30 or more yards with 45. Overall, BYU scored 40 or more points nine times in 12 games." -
This is at BYU guys. Can anyone outside of LCE name one skill player from BYU off the top of their head? I **** sure can't. Yes, they had Zach Wilson but he maximized his QB talent and had BYU rolling and he is maximizing the offensive talent at Baylor too. Imagine what he’d do with TVD? He is proven and outside of having ZW he has done MORE WITH LESS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back