Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Mario pls

Wake Up Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I have to wonder for anyone that might know, or at least be familiar with the process. What exactly does a coach who takes this long do? Like I assume he's not just sitting in his office thinking long thoughts day after day. Are there multiple interviews? Is he contacting references? I understand the vibe is he's "thorough" but what exactly does that look like?
I have this uneasy feeling that Mario is able to project alpha like coaching qualities in public but reverts to Henry Winkler’s character in The Waterboy when he’s in his office alone.

Point taken, but there are folks out there where $1.8MM is a significant upgrade, particularly given Florida's absence of a state tax. I mean, Candle is allegedly at $1.1. A $700,000 jump is more than 50%. I can't find recent salary on Ruggiero (even assuming he's a candidate) but he made $740K in 2020. $1.8MM is a big jump from $700K.

Go back to the point where I said that ND was paying Rees $2.4M.

I'm not talking about what "lesser" schools like Toledo or Wake pay. I'm talking about what "better" schools that we compete with can pay.

And if ND is offering Candle $500K more than what we are...it's an issue (regardless of how anyone feels about Candle).

At this point I just speed scan pages for the 2/3 posters who have anything of substance to say. Otherwise I feel like I’m losing brain cells reading the same comments over and over. I know it’s a message board but you would think people would get tired of just posting the same thing.
Mario will hire someone, at some point. If we like him or not will have zero baring in it. You can either get behind that hire and hope for the best or be miserable. But if following this entertainment (which is what sports are) makes you miserable maybe you need to find a form of entertainment that makes you happy.

Some would say this is redundant as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree the timing on everything is infuriating. That isn’t automatically terrible though. People wanna **** on Steele but we took forever and then hired the guy that Saban just wanted to run his defense for like the 3rd time…

If we get the right guys, the timing is what it is.

Go back to the point where I said that ND was paying Rees $2.4M.

I'm not talking about what "lesser" schools like Toledo or Wake pay. I'm talking about what "better" schools that we compete with can pay.

And if ND is offering Candle $500K more than what we are...it's an issue (regardless of how anyone feels about Candle).
So Tommy Rees took a $400k paycut to go to Bama….. okay

Every single day I wake up and realize there’s just literally no pleasure in being a Miami hurricanes football fan in over two decades. Every moment of happiness is basically a sugar rush before you come crashing down the depths of ****.

We are on our track to becoming the old Chicago Cubs or Boston Red Sox without the cute stadium And none of us will live long enough to be around for that kind of turnaround. I’m not normally negative I’m just getting so sick of everything being drama filled and not the good kind.

Advertisement
Mario having to significantly overpay for bum@as Gattis, who had zero leverage with Michigan at the time, proves that Mario’s hiring process leaves a lot to be desired

We are witnessing it again
I think maybe he's just not that desirable a coach to work for. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Yes it's a guess.. But there's plenty of tea leaves.

Saban isn't that pleasant to work for either but his teams win and his coaches get promotions.

Every single day I wake up and realize there’s just literally no pleasure in being a Miami hurricanes football fan in over two decades. Every moment of happiness is basically a sugar rush before you come crashing down the depths of ****.

We are on our track to becoming the old Chicago Cubs or Boston Red Sox without the cute stadium And none of us will live long enough to be around for that kind of turnaround. I’m not normally negative I’m just getting so sick of everything being drama filled and not the good kind.

The golden goose that is JohnRuiz will run out at some point

Advertisement
While I agree with a lot of this my issue with the Candle situation is that after going through this with him last year this shouldn’t be a 2 week courtship. It should be a 2 hour courtship but at most 2 days then a couple of days for HR and lawyers to get everything finalized.

Instead were 10 days after job opening up and he’s still not hired because either Candle or Mario still have requests that haven’t been addressed or he’s considering the ND job. That’s unacceptable. I get the 2 week courtship with a candidate that hasn’t gone through Mario’s “Secret Service” hiring process but this is BS.

Look, "two weeks" was a number I pulled to contrast with "two months". The actual time has been shorter (between 2 days and 2 weeks), though it could soon come close to 2 weeks if Candle continues to be the apparent top choice.

I will say this, Miami addressed a couple of points "better" this time around than last time. That is not to "justify" or "defend", and I am ready to move on beyond Candle, because I know we have a few other good choices in the world.

I think maybe he's just not that desirable a coach to work for. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Yes it's a guess.. But there's plenty of tea leaves.

Saban isn't that pleasant to work for either but his teams win and his coaches get promotions.

Was about to post this same thing. The whole drill sergeant routine doesn’t work when you go 5-7 and have no coaching credibility outside of recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back